Give Me Your Heart

51: Eventually

Resting her head back against the sun lounger she sat in, Riley spared a small relaxed sigh, her skin warmed by the morning sun. It had been a quiet morning, with Alexander having had one of his better nights, Riley had gotten up a little earlier than usual and with the hotel being quiet, she had taken the opportunity to set herself and Alexander up beside the pool, wanting to make the most of the day before it got too busy.

Closing her eyes, she let out another small sigh before she felt the weight at the end of her lounger shift a little, causing her to peek an eye open, a slightly amused smile on her face. “Don’t you have somewhere else you need to be?” she quipped.

Gerard, who was peeking into Alexander’s pushchair, smirked a little. “You’re not happy to see me?” he teased, not moving his eyes away from Alexander.

Riley shrugged. “I would have preferred the plate of food I ordered a little while ago, but you’ll do” she teased with an impish grin on her face.

Gerard rolled his eyes a little before he ducked towards her, pressing a gentle kiss against her lips. “Buenos dias” he murmured softly.

Riley pecked his lips a couple more times before she leant back, resting against the lounger happily. “How long are you here for?” she posed softly. It was a little odd, the idea that they were so close, yet so far apart, but Riley knew it was merely something she had to deal with. For a little while longer, his focus needed to be elsewhere and Riley didn’t want to be a distraction, even if she had missed him, she wanted him to be focused on the match why lied ahead.

Gerard, who’d flicked his attention back to Alexander, smiled a little. “I’ve got a few hours” he noted gently “I’m not due back until this evening. Did you have plans?” he teased.

Riley offered him a slightly nonchalant shrug, something which made Gerard roll his eyes a little. “I am starting to get a little offended, nena” he teased softly.

Riley offered him another impish grin before she leant forwards, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. “You know I’ve missed you really” she murmured softly “And you know that I am happy to have you around, even if it is just for a little while. Our home’s been pretty quiet without you” she added, lacing their fingers together.

Gerard eyed their hands for a moment before he quirked a little smile. “You know, that’s the first time you’ve called my house ‘our home’” he noted softly. He knew that it wasn’t a big deal, for a little while, his home had also been that of Alexander and Riley, but he liked hearing her say it, even if it was only a small thing, it made it clear that she was in a similar place to him when it came to their relationship.

Riley wrinkled her nose. “I’ve not said that before?” she posed.

“Not that I recall” Gerard quipped “But I like hearing it. Our home. It has a nice ring to it, no?” he teased.

Riley rolled her eyes. “You’re a strange man” she quipped.

Gerard smiled. “Maybe, but you love me” he teased brightly.

Riley rolled her eyes once more before she nodded her head, wordlessly agreeing with him.

~#~
“How was the time you spent with your parents?” Gerard posed as he padded out of the bedroom, carefully tugging the door to. It had been a pleasant morning, both he and Riley appeared to have enjoyed it, and it pleased the defender who was more than happy to see the smile on Riley’s face in person.

Riley, who was flicking through the television channels, shrugged. “About as fun as we anticipated that it would be” she quipped, shifting a little in her seat “My madre spent a lot of time trying to pick holes in our relationship whilst my papa tried to assure me that they only want the best for me” she added. It hadn’t been a surprise, from the moment her parents had arrived at her home, she had been sure that they would attempt to find a flaw or two in her relationship with Gerard, but Riley had been clear with them. She was happy, even if there had been a couple of shaky moments in her relationship with Gerard, and she wanted her parents to accept it, even if there was a risk of an ‘I told you so’ moment. She wanted them to know that she and Gerard were serious about one another.

Gerard, who’d moved to sit beside her, sighed a little. “I’m sorry that they aren’t on board, Ry” he murmured softly “If I could fix it, I would, you know that, right?” he posed.

Riley offered him a soft look before she reached her hand up, gently pushing the hair off of his forehead. “I know that” she confirmed softly “But you have to know that they aren’t just going to suddenly get on board with me and you, regardless of the fact that you are Alex’s papa. They have it in their heads that you’re not quite right for me and they’re not going to change their minds lightly. I get my stubborn streak from my madre in particular” she quipped with a half-smile.

“I’m doomed then, right?” Gerard teased with a half-hearted smile. It wasn’t news to him, even when he and Riley had dated the first time around, both Luis and Audrey had been a little wary about him, but still it irked him a little. He had never put a foot wrong, even when they’d dated the first time around, and he still had little idea about what it was that made them unsure of him and his intentions towards their daughter.

“Doomed might be a little strong” Riley quipped, shaking her head a little “I am sure they’ll get used to you eventually. I mean, you’re likely to be around for a while, aren’t you?” she posed, her expression a little soft.

Gerard admired the soft look on her face for a moment before he ducked down, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. “I’m not going anywhere, anytime soon, nena” he mumbled softly “You can’t get rid of me that easily” he added with a grin.

Riley smiled a little at his response before Alexander’s whimpers filled the air, causing her to excuse herself.

Gerard watched her for a second before he shook his head. He knew that it was still a little way off, for a while, Riley was likely to be wary about taking the next step in their relationship, but the idea that her parents still weren’t overly keen on him disconcerted him slightly. He doubted that they would be particularly receptive of the idea of him proposing to their daughter and he worried, even if it was a little silly, that that may have an effect on the answer Riley would give to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)