Give Me Your Heart

52: I’m Glad You’re Here

Adjusting the red shirt she wore, Riley spared a small look towards the mirror, a nervous expression passing over her features. It wasn’t the first game she had been to, she had been to a few Barcelona matches before, but the idea of attending the semi-final of the European Championships unsettled her a little, even if she was confident about the outcome, she was a little nervous about the possibility of the result being negative. It had been a good tournament, after a slightly shaky start, Spain had hit their stride, and Riley was slightly confident about their chances, even if Portugal were a good side, she had hopes that it would be Spain celebrating having made it to the final.

Tugging at the hem of her shirt, she ensured that it was smooth before she padded out of the bedroom of her hotel suite, making her way towards the living room where Daniella sat with Gerard’s parents. “Are we nearly ready to go?” she posed, moving to collect her jacket.

“We are” Montserrat confirmed “Are you? You look like you’re about to throw up” she teased softly. She found it sweet, even despite the fact that Riley wasn’t the biggest football fan, she always looked nervous ahead of one of Gerard’s matches and Montserrat found it cute. It was merely a sign of how important Gerard had become to Riley since they’d reconciled their relationship.

“I’m a little nervous” Riley noted softly “Though, I am sure they’ll be fine” she added as she moved to collect Alexander from his seat.

“I am sure that they will” Montserrat smiled “And even if they do lose, I am sure that Gerard will be glad to see the two of you. You’re both looking remarkably cute in your shirts” she enthused, smiling a little at the sight of Riley and Alexander who were dressed in matching shirts.

Riley’s cheeks warmed a little. “You don’t think it’s too much?” she posed, nervously tugging at the bottom of her shirt.

“Not at all” Daniella enthused “You both look adorable, Ry” she grinned softly.

Riley spared her a slightly uncertain look before she nodded, quirking a small nervous smile before she padded towards the door, wordlessly hoping that the match went their way.

~#~
“Penalties” Riley murmured softly as she peeked down at the pitch, her hands nervously fiddling in her lap. It had been a tense match, with Portugal wanting to make the final as much as Spain did, the atmosphere had been tense and nervous, and it appeared to have had an effect on the match which had been more than a little tense and broken up.

“It’ll be fine” Daniella quipped “It’s not the first shootout they’ve played” she added, squeezing the other’s woman hand gently.

Riley quirked a half-hearted smile before she flicked her attention towards the pitch, watching as David De Gea made his way towards the goal, his eyes locked on the frame of Andre Gomes. Shifting a little, she took in a small breath before the sound of the referee’s whistle echoed throughout the stadium, causing the Portuguese man to start his run up before he coolly slotted the ball past the despairing reach of the Spanish goalkeeper.

Riley shook her head a little before she set her eyes on the goal, watching as player after player stepped up to take their kick. It was an even shootout, after Portugal had scored, Spain equalized, at least they did until the fourth penalty when Sergio Ramos stepped up and hit the ball over the crossbar, meaning that Cristiano Ronaldo had the chance to win the game for Portugal.

Watching the tall forward step towards the penalty area, Riley closed her eyes for a moment before the sound of cheers from the other side of the stadium echoed, causing her to let out a small curse before she looked up, watching as the Spanish team trudged towards the tunnel.

“You OK?” Daniella posed as she pushed herself to her feet.

“I am” Riley confirmed with a small nod “But I know he’s not” she added.

Daniella spared her a small sympathetic smile before she moved away, allowing Riley to let out another small sigh before she padded towards Gerard’s parents, offering them a small half-hearted smile which they returned gently.

~#~
Staring at the door of Riley’s hotel room, Gerard sighed, briefly contemplating turning around and walking away. He was disappointed, after a good game, he was upset that the result hadn’t gone their way, and a small part of him merely wanted to walk away, not wanting to see the disappointment in Riley’s face. Staring up at the door for a second longer, he took in a small breath before he tapped his hand against the door, waiting patiently for Riley to pull it open.

“You’re later than I thought you’d be” Riley murmured softly.

“I contemplated not coming” Gerard mumbled softly “Do you think I could come in?” he added, peeking past her shyly.

“Of course” Riley noted gently, stepping out of the doorway.

Gerard offered her a small look before he padded inside, quietly padding through towards her bedroom.

Riley watched after him for a second before she followed after him, shaking her head as she watched him settle down onto her bed. “You know that I am proud of you, don’t you?” she posed as she sat down beside him, carefully brushing the hair off of his forehead.

Gerard, who had his eyes closed, shrugged. “We lost, Ry” he mumbled.

“I know” Riley noted softly “But you still did so well, all of you, and I am so proud of you” she insisted, pressing a kiss to his head. She knew that there was very little she could say, no words were going to change the fact that they’d lost the match, but she wanted to try and offer him a little reassurance. Regardless of the result that night, they’d done well to get as far as they had and she was proud of them. She was proud of him.

Gerard shook his head, mumbling something about losing the match, before Riley placed her hand on his cheek, turning his head so that she could press a kiss against his lips. Gerard startled a little at the feel of it before he tugged back, gently resting his head against hers. “I’m glad you here” he mumbled.

“There’s nowhere else I’d rather be” Riley quipped, offering him a small grin “Besides, I think I look pretty good in red” she added, tugging a little at the material of the red shirt she wore.

Gerard spared her a look before he nodded his head, offering her a small smile. “You do look good in red” he agreed softly.

Riley offered him another soft smile before she pressed a kiss against his lips, trying to reassure him that, regardless of the result, she was still proud of him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)