Give Me Your Heart

58: Try Harder

Pushing a hand back through her hair, Riley spared a small sigh, trying to settle the knots which twitched in her stomach. It had been a while, since she had left to join Gerard in France, she had barely seen her mother or father face to face, but with Gerard having departed to join up with the Barcelona squad, she knew that there was no avoiding it, even if she was a little worried about them trying to pick holes in her relationship, she knew that she couldn’t avoid them without a good reason. Sparing her reflection another glance, she smoothed out the front of her shirt before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her, causing her to jump a little.

Luis, who stood in the doorway, chuckled a little. “You’re Ok, Ry” he teased softly “I just thought I’d come to see if you were nearly ready. Your madre is very keen to get moving” he enthused softly. He knew that she was wary, since he and his wife had arrived that morning, she had been a little quieter than usual, but Luis didn’t want to question it, not wanting to start another fight.

Riley, who’d moved to slip her feet into a pair of shoes, nodded. “I’m just about ready” she noted softly “Where is it that we’re going again?” she added with a small look towards her father.

“Your mother wants to take you out to buy you a few things for Alex” Luis quipped as he moved to lead her out of the room “She missed out when you were pregnant and figured, since Alex is already growing rapidly, that we could take you out now. It’s been a while since we had a day together” he enthused as he guided her towards the living room.

“It has been” Riley agreed “But there is nothing stopping you coming around more, papa” she added, her expression softening a little. She didn’t want to bring it up again, since she and Gerard had gotten back together, she had had the same conversation too many times with her parents, but she did want to try and make some sort effort. Whether they loved him or not, Gerard was likely to be around for a while longer and Riley didn’t want to find herself caught between her parents and her boyfriend.

Luis, who had moved towards the doorway of the living room, paused for a second before he turned around, his dark eyes glancing at his daughter. “Riley” he murmured.

“I don’t want to fight” Riley interjected softly “I don’t even really want to talk about this again, but it is getting a little ridiculous, papa” she added as she moved towards him slightly.

Luis watched her for a moment before he sighed, sparing another shake of his head. “Sweetheart, we’re just a little uncertain of him and for a while…”

“Papa, I’ve been dating the guy for a year all together” Riley interjected “I’ve been dating him for 12 months and still you and mama won’t even make an effort with him. I don’t want to know why it is you don’t like him, I am sure that you have your reasons, but this isn’t just some silly little fling anymore. He’s the father of your grandchild” she insisted softly. She doubted that she would change their minds, since she and Gerard had gotten together the first time, her parents had been more than a little uncertain of him, but Riley wanted to try, even if it was likely to be futile, she wanted to try and make them see that her relationship was serious and wasn’t likely to reach a conclusion in the near future.

Luis glanced at her softly before he opened his mouth to reply, only to be cut off as Audrey stepped into the hall way, Alexander cuddled into her arms. “You know” Audrey quipped as she carefully handed Alexander over to her husband “It was only a few months ago that you showed up at our door, crying your eyes out about Gerard” she added.

“Mama…”

“You got hurt” Audrey quipped, cutting off Riley’s protest “And whether that was a mutual decision or on him, it’s not something I want to see again, Ry. We’re not trying to upset you, and we’re not trying to pull you and Gerard apart, we’d never try and interfere like that, but you have to understand that, for a while, we’re not going to be the most welcoming to him” she insisted as she stepped towards her daughter, gently squeezing her hand.

She knew that it was petty, from the moment that the news of Riley and Gerard’s break up had reached them, it had been clear that the decision had been a mutual one, but still Audrey wanted to remain a little wary, even if it did seem as though she was being a little harsh on the defender. The last thing she wanted was to watch Riley get hurt for a second time.

Riley glanced her hand for a second before she shook her head. “I am not asking you to love him” she noted softly “And I am not asking you to stop looking out for me but I need you to go a little easier on him, mama. Whether you love it or not, we’re in a pretty serious relationship and, if I have my way, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. I am not asking for you to welcome him with open arms, but for my sake, and for Alex’s sake, I’d like you to try a little harder” she added softly.

Audrey shared a small look with her husband before she turned her attention back towards Riley, offering her a small nod. “We can try harder” she agreed softly “Besides, we should probably try to get used to the idea that he could well be a part of our family one day” she added with a slight teasing smile on her face.

Riley’s cheeks tinted slightly pink at her mother’s comment before she shook her head, opting against bringing up the conversation that she and Gerard had had a few weeks previous. Chewing on her lip, she spared her mother a slightly shy look before she stepped towards her, pulling her into a soft hug. She knew that it wasn’t a guarantee, her mother had agreed to similar things before, but Riley hoped that she had gotten through to her parents that time around. She was happy, for the first time in a little while, things were comfortable between her and Gerard, and she knew that eventually they would contemplate taking a step forwards, something she wanted her parents to be behind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)