Give Me Your Heart

05: Just For A Moment

Letting out a small groan, Gerard stretched a hand out, stopping the bleeping of his phone which sat on the end table. It was early, usually too early for the defender, but with Riley having arranged her midwife’s appointment so that she could go before work, he had little choice. It had been a few weeks, almost a month had passed since Riley had shared the news that she was expecting with him, but still the idea was a little surreal to him, something he hoped would be aided by the trip to the midwife for Riley’s 12 week scan.

Yawning a little, he pushed a hand through his hair and sat up before he swung his feet out of bed, a small sigh falling out of his mouth. He didn’t like it, on the few occasions that he had seen Riley since she had delivered the news of her pregnancy, they’d proved to be awkward and unsure around one another, and the idea of spending time with her, even if it was a chance to see their unborn child, unsettled him. He knew that it was going to take a little getting used to, the idea of being around Riley now that they weren’t dating, but the idea of spending time with her then made him slightly uncomfortable and he was sure that it was a feeling that was going to take more than a little effort to go away.

Pushing his hand through his hair once more, he spared a look towards the original sonogram picture which he had left on the end table before he pushed himself to his feet, wordlessly encouraging himself to get going. He knew what to expect, if his previous meetings with Riley had been anything to go by, it would feel uncomfortable and tense, but he knew that he had to go. Whether things were strained or not, Riley was carrying his child and he didn’t want to miss out on a second of it.

~#~
“Are you sure that you don’t want me to stay?” Cassidy quipped as she peeked over at Riley, offering her a slightly dubious look.

“I’m sure, Cass” Riley quipped “I’m a big girl. I think I can handle it by myself” she added as she peeked over at her friend. She knew why she was offering, the thought of being alone with her ex was one that had made Riley slightly uncomfortable, but she knew that they couldn’t avoid it, even if it was tense and awkward, they were going to be seeing a lot of one another.

“You sure?” Cassidy posed “Because if you wanted me to…”

“Cassidy, I will be fine” Riley insisted “I’m going to be here for what, half an hour to an hour? I think I will be fine by myself” she enthused before she pushed the door of the car open.

“I want to hear all about it” Cassidy quipped.

Riley nodded. “You will” she assured her softly before she closed the door, padding into the maternity ward of the hospital. Pulling her letter out of the envelope, she presented it to the receptionist before she turned around, not missing Gerard who sat a little away from the desk, his hands messing with his phone. Swallowing a little, she took a small breath before she stepped towards him, greeting him with a soft smile. “Gerard, hola” she murmured.

Gerard, who’d been replying to a message on his phone, startled a little at the sound of her voice before he looked up, offering her the best smile he could muster. “Riley, Buenos dias” he greeted gently.

“You’re early” Riley quipped as she moved to sit beside him “I don’t think you’ve ever been early before” she babbled shyly.

Gerard spared a half-hearted laugh. “I wanted to make sure that I got here on time. I didn’t want to miss a chance to see them” he added with a soft look towards the front of her shirt which hid the small bump which she carried.

Riley nodded. “You’re excited?” she posed, not wanting to let a silence settle between them.

Gerard smiled. “I am” he confirmed “I can’t wait to see how much bigger they’ve gotten” he enthused.

Riley offered him a small smile before she flicked her attention to her feet, staring at the pattern on her shoe.

“How are you feeling?” Gerard posed, trying to break the slightly awkward silence that had fallen over them.

“I’m alright” Riley mused “The morning sickness is no fun and the tiredness is starting to get at me, but all in all, I think I am doing alright. Cassidy has been keeping an eye on me” she enthused softly.

“I’m glad she is” Gerard confirmed before the midwife appeared ahead of them, a warm grin on her face.

“Gerard, Riley, it’s nice to see the two of you again” she enthused brightly.

“And you, Alison” Riley smiled.

Alison offered the pair another warm grin before she ushered them through to the examination room, helping Riley to take a seat on the bed which she had set up. “I’ve had the chance to check the tests that I sent you for last time, Riley, and I am pleased to tell you that everything is looking good” she enthused.

“You’re sure?” Gerard pressed, taking up a spot beside Riley.

“I am” Alison mused “And I want to do an ultrasound now to check on the progress of the baby, is that alright, Riley?” she posed with a look towards Riley who had started to fiddle nervously with the hem of her blouse.

Riley, who was looking around nervously, nodded, something which made Alison smile a little. “This is going to feel a little cool, OK?” she quipped as she carefully pushed the blouse up, allowing her to smear a little gel across Riley’s stomach, something which made her flinch a little. “You’re 12 weeks now, Riley” the midwife enthused as she ran the wand over the small bump “And that means we’re looking at a due date in April” she added.

Riley nodded her head gently before she flicked her eyes towards the screen, smiling a little at the sight of the image which filled it. “Is that them?” she quipped softly.

Alison smiled. “They’re looking very good, Riley” she enthused softly “But before I let you go, I want to check on the heartbeat” she added before she leant towards the machine, allowing the small thump of the baby’s heart to fill the room.

Gerard, who’d been sat quietly beside Riley, lifted his head, his expression softening as the sound resonated in his ears. “That…that’s bump’s heart?” he spluttered.

Alison nodded. “They’ve got a good strong one” she enthused “I will go and get a copy of the scan for the two of you” she enthused before she stepped out of the room, leaving Gerard and Riley alone. Gerard watched the midwife out of the room before he turned his attention back towards the screen, smiling softly at the image, a sight which made Riley smile a little.

“That’s our blob” she murmured softly.

Gerard nodded and shifted his hand, gently taking Riley’s and offering it a soft squeeze. “Yes, it is” he confirmed gently.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)