Give Me Your Heart

61: I Could Get Used To This

Resting back against the kitchen counter, Gerard spared a small contented sigh, his ears doused by the soft silence that filled the room. It was rare, since Alexander had arrived, moments of quiet seemed to be few and far between, but with the little boy having recently learnt to sleep through the night, Gerard wanted to take advantage.

It had been a little while, after the dinner that he and Riley had had with her parents, things seemed to have settled down a little, and whilst he knew that things between them were going to take a little while to fix properly, he was glad that they had done, even if it had been a little awkward. He knew that it was merely another step into moving his relationship with Riley forwards.

Sipping on his coffee, he shifted a little before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached him, pulling his attention towards the doorway. “You’re up early” he quipped.

Riley, who’d shuffled sleepily into the room, shook her head a little, something which made Gerard chuckle a little. It had been a while, with Barcelona’s season due to kick off that weekend, the defender had found himself distracted, but with a later session that day, he was determined to make the most of his morning off, wanting to enjoy the chance to spend a little more time with Riley and Alexander. “You know, you didn’t have to get up” he teased as he stepped across the room, moving to pour her a drink “It’s early and I’m up. You could have laid in” he added.

“Alex was stirring” Riley mumbled as she moved to sit down at the counter “I heard him over the monitor and I thought I ought to check on him” she added.

“Is he OK?” Gerard posed, placing a cup of juice ahead of her.

“He’s fine” Riley quipped “He was just stirring a little, but he’s still asleep” she added.

Gerard offered her a small nod before he slipped into the seat beside her, allowing her to rest her head against his shoulder. Quirking a small smile, he carefully brushed the hair off of her forehead before he pressed a kiss against the skin. “You should go back up” he mumbled softly.

“You don’t want me to stay?” Riley posed, her words muffled by a yawn.

“I’d love you to” Gerard teased “But you’re falling asleep on my shoulder. Go back up, I’ll come and get Alex’s monitor and, in a little while, I will bring you some breakfast” he insisted softly.

“You’re going to cook?” Riley quipped as she sat up a little, another yawn falling out of her mouth.

“I was thinking more along the lines of toast and cereal” Gerard noted.

Riley shook her head a little before she pressed a kiss against his cheek. “Gracias” she mumbled before she padded out of the room, making her way back towards the stairs.

Gerard watched after her for a moment before he shook his head, a small amused smile on his face. It had taken a little adaptation, after Alexander had arrived, things between him and Riley had been a little tenser than he had been anticipating they would be, but he was pleased by their progress, even if Riley was keen to keep things at a more gradual pace than him, he was happy with the way things were between them.

~#~
“Riley?”

Riley, who’d been resting happily against her pillow, startled a little at the sound of her name before she turned onto her side, her blue eyes peeking up towards the door. It had been a quiet morning, with Gerard having had the morning off of training, it had afforded Riley the chance to lay-in, and whilst she knew that he had had a few plans for the morning, she was grateful that he had put them on hold for a little while. She was glad that she had had the chance to have a lazier morning.

Sparing a small yawn into her hand, she pushed herself so that she sat up before she smiled, watching as Gerard padded into the room, a tray of food in hand. “You were serious about breakfast?” she quipped.

Gerard, who’d moved to place the tray down, nodded. “Of course I was” he quipped “You’ve made breakfast in bed for me before and I thought it was about time I returned the favour” he added with a grin.

Riley offered him a soft look before the sound of Alexander’s cries echoed from the monitor which sat in Gerard’s pocket, something which made the defender shake his head a little. “I’ll go and get him. You should get a start on the lovely breakfast I made” he noted before he stepped out of the room.

Riley watched him go for a second before she turned her attention towards the tray of food which sat at her side, something which caused a small amused smile to appear on her face. It had been a little while, after their fight, things between the two of them had felt a little off for a small while, but she was glad that they were still making things work, even if they did still disagree about the pace at which their relationship moved, she was pleased that they’d not run away at the first sign of trouble like they had done the first time around.

“Look whose come to say good morning to his madre”

Riley, who’d drifted off slightly, startled a little at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she lifted her head, a small grin appearing one her face as she looked up at Alexander. “Hola, Alex” she grinned softly.

Gerard offered her a small grin before he stepped around to her side of the bed, carefully settling the boy down into her arms. “I’ll go and get his stuff and we can set about getting him ready for the day. We’ve still got a little while before I need to think about getting ready for training and I figured we could head out and do something” he mused.

Riley, who’d been babbling to Alexander, nodded, a small grin on her face. “That sounds great, Gerard” she mused softly.

Gerard offered her another smile before he stepped out of the room, leaving Riley with a small smile on her face, certain that she could get used to the way things were between the two of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)