Give Me Your Heart

64: If You Want It

“You’re sure that you want to come tonight, aren’t you?” Gerard quipped as he leant against the doorframe, his blue eyes scanning Riley’s frame approvingly. It had been a while, since the end of the Euros, Riley hadn’t set foot near one of Gerard’s games, but with her father wanting to make more of an effort to take an interest in the defender, he had been insistent on going, something which had led to him extending the invitation to Riley and Alexander.

Riley, who was fixing the shirt she wore, nodded. “It’s not a problem” she mused as she stepped away from the mirror “If anything, I am looking forwards to it. It’s been a while since I saw you play” she enthused as she moved to slip her feet into her shoes. It had been a while, since the Euros, the notion of attending one of Gerard’s matches hadn’t even crossed her mind, but when her father had suggested that they head to the match together, she had been more than happy to agree, wanting to take the opportunity to show her support.

“You’re looking forwards to it?” Gerard posed “Ry, you’ve been to a few matches now and I know you’re not the biggest fan. If you want to duck out…”

“I don’t want to duck out” Riley interjected, a small smile on her face “I’d like to go and I know my papa is looking forwards to it. He’s not been to a match since he was a kid” she enthused as she stepped towards him, wrapping her arms around his neck gently.

“I am sure that I can find someone else to sit with him, Ry” Gerard offered softly

Riley admired the soft look on his face for a second before she shook her head, leaning up on her toes to press a soft kiss against his lips. “You’re very sweet” she mumbled softly “But I want to go. I want to see you play” she enthused with a soft smile.

Gerard offered her a slightly dubious look before he nodded. “Alright” he agreed softly.

Riley flashed him another grin before she leant up, pecking his lips briefly before the sound of Alexander’s whimpers reached them, causing her to pull away slightly. “I’ll see you after the game?” she mused.

“You will do” Gerard confirmed “Is your papa sticking around?” he added.

“He wants to grab dinner” Riley mused “But if you want…”

“I’d be happy to get dinner with him, Ry” Gerard interjected, a grin on his face.

Riley flashed him another soft grin before she pressed another brisk kiss against his lips. “I’ll see you later” she enthused brightly before she skittered away.

Gerard watched her go for a moment before he smiled a little to himself, basking in how good things seemed to be for them. It had taken some work, after their fight about the prospect of getting married, it had taken them a little time to settle things down again, but he was proud that they had. He was proud that they hadn’t let go of their relationship when it had gotten a little tough like they had done the first time around.

~#~
“So, this is where Gerard plays, is it?” Luis teased as he shuffled into his seat, his eyes glancing towards Riley who sat beside him, trying to settle Alexander who was snuffling a little.

Riley shook her head a little before she pushed herself up, pressing a soft kiss to her father’s cheek. “Hola, papa” she mused softly.

Luis offered her a small smile before he sat down, his eyes admiring the pitch which stood ahead of him. “You did thank Gerard for getting me this ticket, didn’t you?” he quipped. It had been a little out of the blue, the invitation to attend one of Gerard’s matches, but when the defender had offered, Luis hadn’t been able to refuse. It was still a work in progress, the relationship between him, his wife and Riley’s boyfriend, but it was getting better and it pleased Luis who was confident that it wouldn’t be too long before Riley told him that she and Gerard were planning on getting married.

Riley offered the older man a small smile. “Of course I did” she mused “And he told me to tell you that you don’t need to thank him. He’s more than happy to do it” she enthused softly.

Luis tilted his head slightly. “He is?” he posed softly

Riley nodded. “Of course he is, papa” she confirmed softly “He’s still trying to get you and mama on side” she added softly. Things had progressed, after the dinner that they had had, things between Gerard and Riley’s parents had improved, but she knew that Gerard was still trying hard, even if he wasn’t the problem. He wanted her parents to warm to him and was determined to make sure that it happened.

Luis mulled Riley’s words over for a moment before he nodded. “We weren’t great, Ry” he murmured softly “But we are trying. He’s clearly not going anywhere” he added gently.

Riley shook her head. “He’s not” she confirmed softly “If anything, we’re more likely to get engaged than break up” she added, a slightly shy expression on her face.

Luis blinked. “Has he…?”

“No” Riley interjected softly “But he might do soon, papa, and I don’t want it to be a problem. I don’t want to think about planning a wedding if you and madre aren’t on board” she added gently before she flicked her attention towards the pitch, showing it off to Alexander who cooed softly in her arms.

Luis leant back in his seat slightly before he flicked his attention towards Riley, not missing the warm smile that filled her face. It wasn’t a new look, from the moment she and Gerard had gotten together, she had had a similar smile, and Luis knew what it meant. Watching her for a second, he shook his head quietly before he leant forwards, making a mental note to talk to Gerard before the night was over.

~#~
“So, how did Alex enjoy the game?”

Riley, who had been talking with Antonella, startled a little at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she turned, offering him a teasing glare. “I thought you were going to try not to sneak up on me anymore?” she teased.

Gerard shrugged playfully. “I could do that” he quipped “But I like making you jump. It’s sort of fun” he teased, wrapping his arms around her waist.

Riley rolled her eyes a little before she quirked a small smile. “You were great tonight” she enthused softly.

Gerard offered her a small smile before he ducked down, stealing a quick kiss before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached them, causing him to duck back a little, his eyes glancing at Luis who stood beside him. “Senor Cortez” he greeted softly.

“It’s Luis” the older man mused with a warm smile “It’s nice to see you again, Gerard” he added.

“And you, Luis” Gerard noted.

Riley watched the pair of them for a second before she excused herself, leaving the two men alone.

Luis watched after his daughter for a second before he flicked his attention towards Gerard, offering him a small smile. “Do you think I could get a word with you in private, Gerard?” he posed.

Gerard blinked a little, but nodded. “Of course” he agreed.

Luis flashed him another grin before he padded out into the hall, Gerard in tow.

“What can I help you with, Luis?” Gerard posed as he pulled the door to, his eyes glancing towards the older man slightly. He was nervous, the idea of being alone with Riley’s father unsettled him slightly, and he wanted to get it over with, not wanting to spend more time alone with the older man than was necessary.

Luis, who’d been glancing at his feet, lifted his head slightly before he quirked a small smile. “I hear you’re thinking of proposing” he noted.

Gerard blinked a little, something which made Luis chuckle. “It’s alright” he teased “I am not here to demand that you not do it or offer you something to leave Riley. You’re OK” he added with a grin.

Gerard shook his head. “I’m sorry” he breathed gently “I didn’t know that you knew” he added.

“I had kind of figured” Luis quipped “You and Riley, you’ve been together for a while and I figured it was only a matter of time. You’re going to do it soon?” he posed as he moved to lean back against the wall slightly.

Gerard offered him a look before he shrugged. “It’s a work in progress” he admitted softly “The last time I bought it up, Riley freaked out, but I think we’re getting there. She’s been helping a friend of hers plan a wedding and I think that that is changing her mind” he admitted gently.

Luis nodded his head slowly before he took a step towards the defender, gently patting his shoulder. “I only want to say this once, OK?” he posed softly.

Gerard nodded quietly, something which encouraged the older man to continue. “I love my daughter” Luis mused softly “And I want to see her happy. I know I have not been the best prospective father-in-law to you, and my wife, she’s not been fantastic about the two of you either, but I know that we’re not going to change Riley’s mind about you and, having seen her lately, I don’t think I want to. You’re good for her, you’re good for Alex, and Gerard, if you should want it, you have my blessing. Make her happy, Gerard” he enthused brightly.

Gerard blinked a couple of times, caught slightly off guard by the older man’s words, before he jutted his hand out ahead of him. “I will try my best, Luis” he agreed softly.

Luis flashed him a grin before he pulled him into a brief hug. He knew that it was going to take a little getting used to, the idea that Gerard and Riley could soon be planning a wedding, but it was an idea that he was sure he could warm to.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)