Give Me Your Heart

66: Not How I Pictured It

“What did you just say?” Riley whispered after a few seconds, her blue eyes mirroring Gerard’s.

Gerard shifted a little before he shrugged, a coy smile on his face. “I think…I think I just proposed to you, Ry” he babbled softly. It hadn’t been his intention, after the conversation he had had with her father, he wanted to put the idea of proposing off for a little while, but when Riley had started to babble about their relationship, he hadn’t been able to resist it, even if it was a risk. He didn’t want to skirt around the topic for any longer.

Riley, who’d flicked her eyes down towards her hands, tilted her head a little. “You actually did it” she murmured softly.

Gerard smiled a little at the awe in her voice before he nodded. “I did” he confirmed softly “And I meant it too. I know you’re still keen on taking our time, Ry, but I think the timing is right. Things are good for us, they have been for a while now, and I don’t see the harm in taking the next step. We’re onto a good thing, nena, and I know you know it” he enthused softly, his hand gently moving to take hers with fiddled shyly with the duvet.

Riley watched his hand for a second before she lifted her eyes to his face, admiring the reassuring smile which he wore. “You don’t have to give me an answer right now, Ry” he murmured softly.

“Gerard…”

“I get it” the defender interjected softly, his fingers messing gently with hers “I must have caught you off guard and it’s fine if you want to take a little time to think about it” he insisted, a shy smile on his face.

Riley watched their hands for a second before she shook her head. “Gerard” she murmured softly.

“It’s OK to want to take some time to think about this, Riley” Gerard countered softly “It’s a huge step, getting engaged, and I understand if you want to…”

“Will you stop talking for 30 seconds?” Riley interjected.

Gerard blinked a couple of times before he nodded his head, something which made Riley shake her head. Taking a small breath, she spared a glance down towards their hands for a second before she shook her head, a small smile appearing on her face. “You know, when I pictured you proposing, I didn’t exactly picture you doing it whilst we were getting ready to go to sleep” she teased shyly.

Gerard shook his head and opened his mouth to counter, but Riley cut him off, stealing a soft kiss before she ducked back, a soft smile on her face. “You’re not wrong” she murmured “I am still keen to keep this moving along at a steady and comfortable pace, but I do know that we’re onto a good thing and, before you babbled out a proposal, I was about to tell you that I wanted to start thinking about getting engaged. We’re good, Gerard, and I think the timing is right for us to start thinking about moving another step forwards” she explained softly. It was a little sudden, her desire to start thinking ahead, but she was sure that it was right, even if it hadn’t been long since she had told him that she wanted wait, she was confident that the timing was right.

Gerard tilted his head a little. “What are you saying, Ry?” he posed softly.

Riley quirked a small smile before she leant into him, stealing another gentle kiss. “I am saying” she teased softly “That if this is your way of asking me to marry you, then the answer is a yes” she breathed gently.

“You’re saying yes?” Gerard breathed softly, his expression more than a little surprised.

Riley marveled at the surprised expression on his face before she nodded, a shy smile on her face.

Gerard admired her smile for a second before he leant towards her, pulling her into a strong kiss, something which made Riley giggle a little. “I am guessing that that is the answer you wanted to hear” she teased as she shuffled away from him slightly.

Gerard offered her a small look before he carefully pushed himself to his feet, padding towards the dresser which stood across the room.

Riley tilted her head a little before she shuffled towards the end of the bed, watching him rifle through the drawer. “What are you doing?” she posed.

Gerard rifled through the drawer for a second longer before he let out a small triumphant sound, something which made Riley shake her head. “Gerard” she quipped.

Gerard smiled a little at the sound of her voice before he turned around, offering out the small box which had been stowed in his drawer.

“What is that?” Riley breathed softly.

“What does it look like?” Gerard teased softly. “I’ve had this for a little while and I think you ought to have it” he added softly.

Riley glanced at the box in his hand for a second before she tentatively reached out, taking it off of him. “You’re sure about this?” she murmured softly.

“I know I am” Gerard confirmed with a small nod “I have been sure of us for a little while, Riley, but if you are not sure, then we can just forget about it for now. Are you sure that this is what you want?” he posed softly. It was sudden, even if they had discussed the idea of getting engaged before, his proposal was a little out of the blue and he wanted to ensure that she was certain. The last thing he wanted was for her to change her mind.

Riley mulled his words over for a moment before she nodded, a small smile on her face. “I am sure” she confirmed softly.

Gerard quirked a little smile at her words before he stepped towards her, wrapping his arms around her waist. “I am glad that you’re sure” he mused softly.

Riley grinned a little before she wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him close. She knew that it was going to take a little getting used to, the idea that she and Gerard were engaged, but she was confident in them, even if it had taken them some time to get there, she was sure that the moment was the right one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)