Give Me Your Heart

67: Keep It To Ourselves

Leaning against the doorframe, Gerard quirked a little smirk, his blue eyes watching Riley as she padded around the kitchen, humming to the song on the radio. It was early, usually a little too early for the two of them, but with his proposal hanging around them, he wasn’t surprised to find Riley awake a little earlier than usual. It had been sudden, the way he had proposed hadn’t been the way he had been planning, but he was still pleased with it, even if it wasn’t the most romantic story. He had gotten the answer he wanted and that was all he was concerned about.

Shaking his head a little, he watched Riley for a few more seconds before he cleared his throat, something which caused the brunette to startle. “Buenos dias” he quipped amusedly.

Riley offered him a mildly unimpressed look before she shook her head, a slight smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “You’re up early” she quipped, flicking her attention back towards the stove.

“I am” Gerard confirmed as he took a couple of steps towards her “But so are you. Are you alright?” he posed softly, his arms gently wrapping around her waist.

Riley smiled a little at his question before she turned around, looking up at him gently. “Are you going to ask that a lot now?” she posed amusedly. She knew what he was getting at, until the previous night, she had been particularly wary of moving forwards with their relationship, and she didn’t blame him for being a little worried, even if she had assured him that she was certain about wanting to marry him, she couldn’t blame him for wanting to be surer.

Gerard, who’d moved to brush a few loose strands of hair out of her eyes, shook his head. “I don’t want to ask a lot” he mused softly “But last night…it was a little sudden, Ry, and I just want to make sure that you’re sure and that you didn’t agree in the heat of the moment” he added gently. He didn’t want to put doubt in her mind, the last thing he wanted was to take a step backwards, but he wanted to make sure that Riley was still on board. He wanted to be sure that she hadn’t said yes just because she felt as though she had to.

“You think I could have changed my mind in a matter of hours?” Riley quipped, turning the stove off.

“I’d like to hope not” Gerard countered “But until last night, you weren’t exactly keen on the idea of getting engaged and I just want to be sure that you’re sure. If you’ve changed your mind…”

“Gerard” Riley interjected “Amor, I haven’t changed my mind” she reassured him gently.

“You’re sure?” Gerard quipped “Because if you tell me now…”

“I was going to suggest we think about getting engaged, Gerard” Riley pointed out with a soft grin “I am sure about this” she added.

Gerard mulled her words over for a moment before he quirked a grin, his arms squeezing her waist softly. “So, you’re my fiancée now” he teased.

Riley’s cheeks tinted a little pink before she ducked her head, something which made Gerard smile softly. It was a little odd, the idea that they were more than just boyfriend and girlfriend, but Gerard was confident that it was something they’d get used to, even if it did take them a little time, he was already a little excited about the prospect of planning a wedding.

“You look very cute when you blush” Gerard teased amusedly.

Riley rolled her eyes slightly before she pulled away from him slightly, moving to serve up the food she had been preparing. “Did you want to start telling people right away?” she posed softly.

Gerard, who’d moved to collect two glasses from the cupboard, shrugged. “I hadn’t really given it much thought” he admitted as he sat down beside her “Did you want to hold off a little?” he posed.

Riley offered him a slightly shy look, something which made him shake his head, an amused smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. He knew the look on her face, it was the one she got when she was worrying about something, and Gerard was almost certain he knew what it was, even if she hadn’t said anything. He was fairly confident that her mind had jumped straight to her parents and the idea of them not liking the news that their daughter had gotten engaged. “You know, you don’t have anything to worry about” he noted.

Riley quirked an eyebrow. “You’ve met my parents right?” she quipped.

“I have” Gerard agreed nonchalantly “But I have feeling they won’t be too surprised by this, Ry. Why do you think that your papa took me aside after the match last night?” he posed, a slightly smug grin on his face.

Riley furrowed her brow a little, something which made Gerard laugh gently. “Riley, nena, your papa wanted to talk to me last night because he had a feeling that I was thinking about asking you to marry me. He took me aside because he wanted to offer me his blessing to propose to you” he revealed.

“My papa said that?” Riley quipped, a frown on her face.

Gerard offered her a boyish smile before he nodded, his hand gently moving to take hers which fiddled shyly with her glass. “He did” he confirmed softly.

Riley offered him a small look before he ducked his head, pressing a soft kiss against her hand. “We can still wait for a while before we tell people” he suggested softly “It’s a pretty big deal and there’s no harm in taking a little time to get used to it before we involve other people” he added gently.

“You’d not mind that?” Riley posed gently, her blue eyes mirroring his.

Gerard shook his head. “Not at all” he confirmed softly “I kind of like the idea of keeping this between us for a little while. It can be our little secret” he enthused brightly.

Riley admired the expression on his face for a second before she quirked a smile. “I’d like that” she enthused softly.

Gerard returned her smile for a second before the sound of Alexander’s cries emanated away from the monitor which sat on the side. “I ought to go and get him” Riley noted softly before she padded out of the room.

Gerard watched her out of the room for a second before he smiled to himself. It was going to take a little getting used to, the idea that he and Riley were engaged, but he was sure that they could manage, even if it did take them a little time to wrap their heads around it. He was confident that the timing was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)