Give Me Your Heart

70: Are You Happy?

“So” Audrey mused as she sat down beside her daughter, settling a cup of tea on the coffee table ahead of her “Do you and Gerard have any plans yet?” she posed softly. It had been a pleasant evening, even despite the small amount of tension that existed between the two sets of parents, things had appeared rather calm and polite after Riley and Gerard’s announcement, and with things starting to wind down a little, Audrey wanted to take the opportunity to talk to her daughter, wanting to reassure her that she was happy about the news that they’d shared.

She knew that Riley was wary, from the second that she and Gerard had revealed the news of their engagement, she had looked a little uncertain of her mother’s reaction and Audrey wanted to reassure her that, even despite her previous dislike of the defender, she was happy for them, even if she was still attempting to get used to the idea of Gerard and Riley, she was more than excited about the prospect of helping to plan the wedding day of her only daughter.

Riley, who had been quietly reading, startled a little at the sound of her mother’s voice before she shook her head. “We’ve not really talked about it” she noted softly “He proposed a little while ago and we wanted to take some to get used to it before we told people. We’ve not really given a lot of thought to things like dates yet” she added as she moved to get a little more comfortable.

“You’ve not?” Audrey pressed.

“We want to take our time, madre” Riley countered “Things have happened quickly for us, perhaps a little too quickly, and we agree that there is no pressure to make this happen quickly. For a while, being engaged is enough” she added softly. She had been expecting it, as soon as the word ‘engaged’ had fallen out of her mouth, she had been expecting her mother to want to fuss about the idea of making plans, but Riley wanted to hold off for a little while, wanting to enjoy the idea of being engaged for a while before they started to make concrete plans.

Audrey mulled her words over for a moment before she nodded, a small smile on her face. “You know, I still can’t quite wrap my head around the idea that my little girl is going to have a husband” she teased after a few seconds of quiet “It still feels like yesterday I was taking you to your ballet lessons or helping you with your homework” she added with a grin.

Riley’s cheeks tinted a little pink before she shook her head, something which made Audrey smile a little before she took Riley’s hand, admiring the engagement ring which sat on her finger. “He has pretty good tastes, Ry” she mused softly.

Riley offered the older woman a small nod before she spared a small sigh. “I know you’re still not his biggest fan, mama” she murmured after a few seconds of quiet “And I know that you’re trying to get used to him, but you have to know that he’s going nowhere. I think this is going to work out, mama, and that means…”

“Riley” Audrey interjected softly “Sweetheart, I have no intention of trying to ruin this for either you or Gerard. You’re right, I am perhaps not the biggest fan of his, but I am a fan of how happy you and Alexander are with him around. Do I worry that you could get hurt again? Of course I do, but that’s because I am your mother and I am always going to worry about you, Riley, but I know that he’s going nowhere and I am happy about it. You are happy, aren’t you?” the older woman pressed softly.

Riley nodded. “I am” she confirmed with a small smile.

“Then that is all that matters” Audrey quipped reassuringly “And besides, I have always dreamed of helping my little girl to plan her wedding and I am not going to run the risk of ruining it. I already can’t wait to be mother of the bride” she enthused, a wide grin on her face.

Riley admired the grin on her mother’s face before she shook her head, an amused smile playing at the corner of her mouth. “Gracias, mama” she mused softly.

Audrey shook her head before the sound of footsteps reached them, causing the older woman to look up towards Gerard who stood in the doorway, his expression slightly sheepish. “Gerard?” she posed.

“Your taxi is here, Mrs Cortez” Gerard noted “Your husband is already outside” he added.

Audrey offered him a look before she pushed herself to her feet, taking a few steps towards him.

“Madre” Riley warned, a small amused smile on her face.

Audrey offered her a teasing look before she flicked her attention towards Gerard, offering him an impish smile. “You’re going to marry my daughter” she noted “Perhaps you should start to call me Audrey, no?” she added.

Gerard nodded. “Perhaps I should” he confirmed “It was nice to see you, Audrey” he added with a small smile.

The older woman flashed him another grin before she pushed herself up onto her toes, pressing a gentle kiss against his cheek. “Congratulations, Gerard” she mused “I’m very happy for both you and Riley” she added before she offered Riley a small wave, stepping out of the room.

Gerard watched the older woman out of the room before he turned towards Riley, a small frown on his face. “Did your mother just kiss my cheek?” he posed, his tone more than a little confused. It wasn’t like her, even despite the fact that she and her husband were making more of an effort with him, Audrey had always been a little distant towards Gerard, and the idea that she had kissed his cheek had caught him more than a little off guard.

Riley laughed at the expression on his face before she nodded. “She certainly did” she enthused.

“Did she have too much to drink?” Gerard quipped.

Riley rolled her eyes before she shook her head. “She’s just excited” she quipped as she moved to clear away the glasses which stood on the coffee table “It’s not every day that her daughter tells her that she’s getting married” she added as she padded towards the kitchen.

Gerard, who followed after her, shook his head. “Is she really OK with it?” he posed tentatively. He hadn’t spoken much to Audrey, after they’d shared the news, Gerard had spent most of his evening with Luis and his own parents, and he was a little concerned, even if the older woman had appeared to take the news well. He was still a little worried that she would react badly when he wasn’t around.

Riley, who’d moved to place the glasses in the sink, paused for a second before she turned to look up at him. “She’s always going to worry” she mused as she took a couple of steps towards him, wrapping her arms around his neck “But she’s excited about this, Gerard, really” she insisted with a small smile.

Gerard nodded his head softly before he ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. “I am pretty excited about this too” he teased as he pulled back a little.

“I know you are” Riley mused as she laced their fingers together, pulling him towards the stairs.

Gerard followed after her eagerly before he dropped a kiss on the top of her head. He doubted that that night could have gone much better for them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)