Give Me Your Heart

71: About Time

“You know, you really don’t have to come tonight if you’d rather not” Gerard mused as he rested against the frame of the nursery door, his blue eyes trained on Riley who was getting Alexander ready to head out.

It had been a little while, after they’d shared the news of their engagement with their parents, a couple of weeks had past, and with Barcelona due to play their last match ahead of the winter break, both Gerard and Riley had decided that the time was right to share the news with their friends, something he knew made her a little nervous, even if she did still seem excited by the idea of their engagement, he knew that she was a little wary about getting too far ahead of them.

Riley, who had been adjusting Alexander’s shirt, smiled a little at the sound of his words before she shook her head. “You’re planning on announcing our engagement” she quipped softly “Do you not think I ought to be there for that?” she added, offering him an amused look.

It wasn’t the first time, since they’d made the decision that they wanted to share the news with their friends, Gerard had asked more than once if she was sure that she wanted to be there, and whilst she found it sweet that he was intent on her being comfortable, she wanted to reassure him that she wanted to be there. It was their news, not only his, and she wanted to be involved in sharing it with the people around them.

“I’d love you to be there” Gerard enthused softly “But I know that you’re exactly comfortable with being the centre of attention, and if you wanted, I could do it” he added as he took a couple of steps towards her, his arms settling around her waist.

Riley smiled a little at the sound of his words before she tilted her head back, pressing a kiss against his cheek. “You’re sweet for thinking about me” she noted softly “But this is our news, Gerard, and if you’re going to tell people, I’d like to be there” she added, offering him a small smile.

“You sure?” Gerard posed, kissing her cheek gently.

“I am sure” Riley mused softly “Besides, the women are likely to want to fuss and I doubt that you’re going to enjoy that” she added, offering him a teasing smile

Gerard rolled his eyes a little before he pressed a kiss against her lips. “I’ll let you handle that, nena” he teased as he took a step away from her “I’ll see the two of you after the match?” he added, moving to collect his bag which he had stowed beside the door.

Riley nodded. “Of course” she enthused “Good luck” she added.

Gerard offered her a small smile before he ducked out of the room, something which made Riley shake her head a little, a small amused smile on her face. She was nervous, the idea of sharing the news with their parents was one things, but with their friends was another, but she was certain that she wanted to be there, even if she was a little concerned about the idea of being the centre of attention, she didn’t want to shy away from sharing their good news.

~#~
“Remind me why it is that I can’t just go home?” Cassidy posed as she plopped into the seat beside Riley, her eyes glancing towards the brunette who was quietly cooing to Alexander. It had been a good night, Barcelona had won their match easily thanks to goals from Messi and Suarez, and whilst Cassidy had enjoyed herself, she was keen to head home, something which Riley had been quick to prevent.

Riley, who was trying to soothe Alexander to sleep, shook her head. “Because I asked you to hang around for a little while” she countered softly “It shouldn’t be much longer, Cass” she added, offering her a friend a soft look.

Cassidy admired the look on her face before she sighed, resting her head back against the back of the seat. “You owe me” she mumbled.

Riley spared a small laugh before she flicked her attention towards the door, watching as Gerard padded into the room, a small shy smile on his face. Offering him a shy smile in return, she pushed herself to her feet before she padded towards him, wrapping him in a tight hug.

Gerard hugged her tightly before he took a step back, wordlessly enquiring if she was sure, something which made Riley smile. “Let’s do it” she enthused softly.

Gerard offered her another dubious look before he nodded his head, his hand gently moving to take hers. “Guys” he noted softly “I know you’re all keen to get out of here, but could I have your attention for a second. There’s something I’d like to tell you” he enthused, his arm gently wrapping around Riley’s waist as the room quietened down a little.

“Didn’t you two just have a baby?” Luis Suarez posed, earning a few murmurs in agreement.

Gerard nodded. “We did” he confirmed softly “But that’s not what we want to share. A few weeks ago, I asked Riley to marry me” he noted softly “And, after taking a little time to get used to the idea, we’d like to tell you all that…well, Riley said yes” he enthused, his arms gently squeezing Riley’s waist.

The room was quiet for a moment, as if no one quite knew how to react, before Cassidy pushed herself to her feet. “You’re engaged?” she pressed.

Riley, who had cuddled slightly into Gerard’s side, nodded, her cheeks a little pink. “We are” she confirmed softly “And I am sorry for not…”

“I am so excited for you” Cassidy grinned.

“You are?” Riley peeped.

“Of course I am” Cassidy grinned “You have to tell us how he asked you and show us the ring” she fussed as she took Riley’s hand, tugging her towards the group of women which stood a little away from them, itching to fuss over the bride to be.

Gerard, who’d moved to check on Alexander, watched after her for a few seconds before he felt someone tap his shoulder, causing him to flick his attention towards Lionel who stood behind him, a grin on his face. “You finally asked her then?” the argentine teased amusedly.

Gerard nodded. “I did” he confirmed softly “I mean, it wasn’t quite what I had in mind, but it worked out” he added, his eyes glancing towards Riley who was smiling at something one of the other women had said.

Lionel watched the defender for a moment before he shook his head. “It’s about time, Gerard” he quipped “You two, it’s a good thing, and I am happy for you” he added softly, his hand patting the taller man’s shoulder.

Gerard offered the smaller man a warm smile before he flicked his attention towards Riley, watching her for a second. It was still a little way off, from the way Riley talked, she wanted to wait a while before they started to plan, but still he was excited, even if the chances were that they were going to take their time, a part of him couldn’t wait to get the planning started.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)