Give Me Your Heart

72: I’ll Tell You Later

Carefully adjusting Alexander on his hip, Gerard knocked the door to his bedroom open, a small smile playing at the corner of his mouth. It was a little late for them, with Alexander around, both Riley and Gerard had developed a habit of waking up early, but with it being Christmas morning, Gerard had opted to allow Riley to lay in for a little while.

It was the first time, despite the fact that they had been together for almost two years, they’d never shared a Christmas together, and he wanted to ensure that their first one was a good one, even if he was silently dreading the idea of spending the day with both of their families, he wanted to ensure that they remembered it for the right reasons.

Ensuring that he was quiet, he padded around to his side on the bed before he carefully sat down, settling Alexander in his lap. Making sure that the little boy was comfortable, he pressed a kiss against his head before he reached out an arm, gently nudging it against Riley’s shoulder. “Riley” he murmured softly.

Riley, who was contently curled up beneath the duvet, stirred a little at the sound of his voice, but didn’t wake up, something which made Gerard shake his head. “Mama is going to make this difficult, isn’t she?” he mused, his fingertips gently tickling Alexander’s sides which earnt a series a small giggles from the baby. Offering him another soft smile, Gerard carefully leant forwards and nudged Riley’s shoulder once more. “Riley, mi amor, it is nearly 9am” he mused.

Riley shifted a little at the sound of his voice before she turned onto her side, her blue eyes blinking open. “What?” she breathed softly.

“It is nearly 9am” Gerard repeated softly “And I figured, with your parents due to arrive in a few hours, you’d want to get up. It is Christmas morning after all” he added with a nonchalant shrug.

Riley, who’d moved to sit up, rolled her eyes a little before she shifted a little closer to him, pressing a kiss against his cheek. “Merry Christmas, Gerard” she mused softly.

Gerard offered her another grin before Alexander made a small noise, pulling the attention of his parents to him. “I think someone would like to say buenos dias to his madre” Gerard teased gently.

Riley offered him a look before she carefully lifted Alexander into her arms, pressing a kiss against his cheek. “Merry Christmas, Alex” she mused softly.

Gerard watched the two of them for a moment before he pushed himself back to his feet, offering his hand out to Riley. “We should probably head downstairs” he noted softly “We can have some breakfast and then we can show Alex his presents” he added.

Riley, who had been cooing happily to the little boy, smiled a little at the sound of Gerard’s words before she placed her hand in his, allowing him to pull her carefully into a soft hug. “Feliz Navidad, Ry” he mumbled softly.

Riley cuddled happily into him for a second before the sound of his stomach growling echoed, causing her to pull away, a laugh falling out of her mouth.

Gerard’s cheeks flushed pink, something which caused Riley to press a kiss against the red skin. “You’re adorable” she fussed softly.

~#~
“How is it going in here?” Riley posed as she padded into the kitchen, a small amused smile playing at the corner of her mouth. It had been a good day, even despite the tension which was still apparent between the two sets of parents, things had gone well, and it pleased Riley who had been worried that things could go a little awry.

Gerard, who was finishing up the last of the dishes, shook his head. “I think I am almost done” he quipped “But every time I have thought that, someone else walks in here with another plate or glass and it seems to escalate again” he added, placing another plate into the pile at his side.

Riley spared a small amused laugh. “My padre offered to help” she quipped amusedly.

Gerard offered her mock glare before he shook his head. “I know that we’re all getting along better, but I still don’t love the idea of spending time alone with your padre” he noted gently. It was improving, things between him and Riley’s parents were markedly better than they had been, but still he was wary about spending time alone with them.

Riley, who’d moved to sit down, shook her head, a small grin on her face. “He likes you” she enthused.

Gerard offered her a small look before he stepped towards her, carefully wrapping his arms around her. Riley smiled a little at the embrace and wrapped her arms around his neck, relishing the embrace for a moment before she tugged back from him slightly, her teeth nibbling on her lower lip. “Gerard” she murmured softly.

“Riley” Gerard mocked playfully.

Riley rolled her eyes a little, something which made Gerard smile before he ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. “I didn’t mean to interrupt” he noted softly “You want to say something?” he posed.

Riley nodded. “I do have something I want to say” she noted softly “And I want you to try and be as calm as you can about this, OK? I want to get through it before you say anything, alright?” she posed softly.

Gerard frowned a little at the tone of her voice, not liking how serious she sounded, before he nodded. “Alright” he agreed gently.

Riley spared him a small nod before she flicked her attention towards her feet, a nervous sigh falling out of her mouth. She knew that it was fast, Alexander was still quite young and their engagement was still remarkably fresh, but the test that she had taken a few days previous had confirmed it. She was expecting their second child.

Staring at her feet, she spared another soft sigh before she lifted her head, her blue eyes mirroring his which looked down at her curiously. “Gerard” she breathed softly “I’m…”

“Riley?”

Riley blinked a little at the sound of her name before she turned towards the door, fixing a small smile as Montserrat padded into the room. “Montserrat” she breathed softly “What can I do for you?” she added.

“We wanted to start opening Alex’s presents and we thought you’d want to tape it. You’ve recorded everything else” the older woman enthused warmly.

Riley nodded. “I’d love that” she enthused brightly “I’ll be right with you” she added.

Montserrat flashed her another smile before she ducked out of the room, leaving Riley and Gerard alone once more.

Gerard watched after his mother for a second before he flicked his attention back towards Riley. “Did you want to finish what you were saying before we headed through?” he posed.

Riley shook her head. “I’ll tell you later” she enthused softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo, ashtonnn04 and Jayme112234 for the comments :)