Give Me Your Heart

78: You Don’t Hang Around, Do You?

“You know, I have kind of missed seeing you with a bump”

Riley, who’d just pulled her sweater over her head, startled a little at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she turned around, offering him a small shake of the head. It had been a few days, after they’d visited Alison, they’d both agreed to take a few more days to themselves before they shared the news that they were expecting another baby, but Riley had to admit that she was a little excited, even if she knew that the announcement would onto spark more fussing from their friends and families, part of her couldn’t wait to share the news that Alexander was going to have a little brother or sister in a matter of months.

“I’ve not missed the nausea” Riley quipped, ensuring that her jumper covered her bump.

Gerard, who’d padded into the bedroom, quirked a small smile. “You still look amazing though” he enthused softly “You’re glowing” he added, his hand gently moving to cover the small bump which was just about visible beneath her shirt.

“You have to say that” Riley countered, a small teasing grin on her face.

Gerard shook his head, mumbling about not having to say anything before he pressed a kiss against her shoulder. “Both sets of parents are downstairs” he murmured softly, pressing another kiss against the material of her sweater “I told them that I would come and get you. You’re still sure about wanting to tell them?” he posed gently. He knew that they couldn’t avoid it forever, eventually, there was going to be no missing the bump that Riley carried, but part of him wanted to put it off for as long they could.

Riley nodded. “I am” she confirmed softly “Are you not?” she added, peeking up at him slightly.

Gerard shrugged. “I kind of like it being our little secret” he mumbled softly.

“I like it too” Riley quipped “But this bump isn’t going to stay this small forever and I think they’d be upset if we didn’t tell them ourselves. I’d hate for my parents to find out about their second grandchild from the front of some magazine” she insisted gently.

Gerard offered her a small look before he nodded. “You’re probably right” he mumbled, pressing another kiss against her shoulder.

Riley smiled a little at the feel of the kiss before she stepped away slightly, her fingers moving to lace through his. “We should probably head downstairs” she noted softly.

Gerard offered her a small look before he nodded, allowing her to lead him out of the room. He knew that she had a point, the bump that she was carrying wasn’t something they’d be able to hide forever, but still part of him wanted to keep the news to themselves, not wanting to make the fussing that had surrounded them since their engagement any worse.

~#~
“So, are you going to tell me why you’ve gathered us all here or do I have to guess?” Luis quipped as he stood in the doorway of the kitchen, his eyes glancing towards Riley who was carefully preparing a tray of coffee. It had been a pleasant morning, both sets of parents had been more than cordial with one another, and whilst Luis enjoyed spending time with the Riley and her small family, he was a little curious. It wasn’t like them, Riley and Gerard didn’t tend to be the ones who made the first moves with their families, and the idea that they had invited both sets of parents made Luis a little curious, even if he didn’t want to pry, he wanted to know why they’d extended the invitation.

Riley, who’d been stirring some milk into one the drinks, startled slightly at the sound of her father’s voice before she shook her head. “We can’t just invite our parents to breakfast?” she quipped.

“You could do” Luis noted “But you and Gerard don’t tend to. We tend to suggest it. So, Riley, what’s going on?” he added, offering her a small smile.

Riley shook her head. “You can wait” she quipped with a grin.

“Riley…”

“Do you think you can help me to carry this through?” Riley interjected, offering him another impish grin.

Luis offered her a playful glare before he moved to lift up the tray, carrying it towards the living room where everyone else sat, cooing over Alexander who sat ahead of Gerard, playing happily with his toys. Riley, who’d followed along behind her father, admired the scene for a few seconds before she flicked her attention towards Gerard, offering him a secretive smile.

Gerard, who’d caught Riley’s smile, carefully pushed himself up to his feet before he stepped towards her, pressing a kiss against her cheek. “You sure?” he mumbled low enough for her to hear.

Riley nodded. “We can’t hide it forever” she murmured softly “And it’s best it comes from us, no?” she added.

Gerard spared a slightly dubious look before he nodded, clearing his throat slightly. “Could we have your attention for a moment please?” he noted gently.

“Gerard?” Joan quipped.

“We have something we need to tell you” Gerard noted softly “A few weeks ago, Riley told me something and we think the time is right to share that news with you all before it gets out. In late July, we’re going to give Alexander a little brother or sister” he announced, a small smile playing at the corner of his mouth. It still felt odd, the idea that Riley was pregnant again so soon after Alexander, but Gerard was still thrilled by the news, even if it did seem a little strange. He was already counting down the days until they welcomed their second baby.

“You’re pregnant?” Audrey posed.

Riley, who was cuddled into Gerard’s side, nodded. “I am” she confirmed softly “We had our 12 week scan a few days ago and Alison seemed happy. You’re going to have a new little grandbaby” she babbled.

Audrey blinked a couple of times before she shook her head, a smile playing on her lips. “You two don’t really hang around, do you?” she teased.

Riley’s cheeks warmed a little, something which made the older woman grin. “I am so happy for you, sweetheart” she enthused as she stepped towards the younger woman “Both of you” she added with a small smile towards Gerard.

Gerard returned the smile softly before he dropped his arm from Riley’s waist, allowing Audrey to pull her into a soft hug. He knew that it was going to take a little while for things to calm down, with an engagement and a second pregnancy, people were likely to want to fuss for a while, but he was determined to keep things as calm as he could, even if it did mean upsetting a few people along the way, he wanted to keep things as relaxed for Riley as he could.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)