Give Me Your Heart

81: Time To Ourselves

Resting his weight against the doorframe, Gerard quirked a small smile, his blue eyes fixed on Riley who sat a little away from him, mumbling softly to Alexander who sat in her lap. It had been sudden, when Gerard had discovered that his ankle injury would keep him out for 6 weeks, he had been quick to insist that they get out of Barcelona for a little while, and he was pleased that they had, even if they hadn’t travelled too far, he was glad that he had gotten the chance to spend a little time with both Riley and Alexander without anyone else around.

It had been hectic, since they’d gotten engaged and found out about Riley being pregnant, it seemed as though other people were always around, and Gerard was pleased to have a little time to themselves, even if it was only for a few days, he was pleased to have some time alone with his little family.

“Is papa going to join us, Alex?”

Gerard, who’d drifted off a little, jumped at the sound of Riley’s voice, something which made her giggle a little. “Are you OK?” she teased, an impish grin on her face.

Gerard rolled his eyes before he padded out of the house, settling on the ground beside Riley. “I’m fine” he quipped softly “But what about the two of you? Do you need anything?” he posed, his tone soft.

Riley quirked a little smile at the sound his question before she shook her head. “I’m fine, Gerard” she noted gently “And the second that I am not, I will let you know” she added, moving to press a soft kiss against his cheek. It wasn’t the first time, since they’d discovered that she was expecting their second baby, Gerard had developed a habit of fretting over her, and whilst she found it sweet, she wanted to calm him down a little. Things were going well, her bump was growing slowly, and Riley wanted Gerard to relax, not wanting him to get too worked up before the baby came along.

“You sure?” Gerard teased gently.

Riley giggled a little before she carefully leant up, pressing a kiss against his cheek. “I promise” she noted softly “But right now, I think someone would like to go for his nap” she added, her fingers gently smoothing out the dark hair which sat on the top of Alexander’s head.

Gerard watched the two of them for a second before he pushed himself back to his feet, allowing him to carefully lift Alexander into his arms. “I’ll go and settle him upstairs. Are you going to stay out here?” he posed gently.

Riley, who’d pushed herself up onto a sun lounger, smiled a little. “It is pretty nice out here” she noted, moving to get settled.

Gerard quirked a small smile before he moved to pad away from her slightly. It had been a little while, with the developments that had occurred in their relationship, it felt as though it had been a long time since he had had both Riley and Alexander to himself, but he was keen to enjoy it, even if it was only for a few days before they headed back to Barcelona. He wanted to enjoy some time away from their fussing relatives and excited friends.

~#~
“You look comfy”

Riley, who was curled up on the couch, smiled a little at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him the seat at her side. It had been a quiet day, Riley and Gerard had spent it beside the pool of the villa that they had rented, and Riley had to admit that she felt refreshed. It had been a surprise, when Gerard had suggested that they head on holiday for a week, Riley had been caught slightly off guard, but she was glad that she had gone along with him. It had been a while since she’d been on vacation and she was keen to make the most of it.

“I am comfy” Riley quipped “I’ve got my book, I’ve got some tea. I’m pretty happy” she added.

Gerard rolled his eyes a little before he settled at her side. “Alex is asleep” he noted softly.

“You were gone for a little while” Riley noted “Did he give you a problem?” she added.

Gerard shrugged slightly before he rested his head back. “He always seems to be fussier when I am the one who put him to bed” he quipped “I think he prefers his mama to me” he added, a playful smile on his face.

Riley shook her head softly before she shifted a little closer to him, her head resting against his shoulder as his arm wrapped around her waist. “I am glad that we did this” she mumbled softly “I mean, I know that we’re only here because you got injured, but I think that this is good for us” she added, her eyes peeking up at him shyly.

“You do?” Gerard posed softly.

Riley nodded. “I love our families, and our friends, but I think we needed a little time to just relax. The next few months are going to be pretty big for us” she added, her hand gently brushing over the small bump which was just visible beneath the shirt she wore.

Gerard glanced down at her hand for a second before he shifted his hand, tilting her head so that he could press a soft kiss against her temple. “It is going to be a big couple of months” he noted gently “But at the end of it, we’ll have our second baby and then we can turn our attention to getting married” he enthused, his other hand gently covering hers.

“I’ve actually given that a little thought” Riley mused, lacing their fingers together.

“You haven’t changed your mind, have you?” Gerard teased.

Riley shook her head. “I haven’t” she confirmed “But I’ve decided that I think I want something small. Our families and only a few friends, nothing too over the top” she mused gently.

Gerard mulled her words over before he nodded, a grin on his face. “Something small” he repeated softly “I think I like the idea of that” he enthused.

“You do?” Riley quipped, peeking up at him.

Gerard offered her another small smile before he leant into her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. He knew that it would be a while before they got married, with the second baby on the way, chances were that it would be put off for at least a year, but he liked the idea that Riley was talking about it. It reassured him that, even despite her doubts, they’d eventually find themselves getting married.