Give Me Your Heart

82: That’s What Matters

Sparing a small yawn into his hand, Gerard carefully reached his arm from beneath the duvet, his hand finding the top of the alarm clock which blared in the distance. It had been a little while, after he’d injured his ankle, almost 3 weeks had passed, and whilst he hated that he was missing training and matches with Barcelona, part of him had grown to like having more time to spend with Riley and Alexander, even if he did have to share them with friends and family who always seemed to be hanging around, he liked having more time for his little family.

Ensuring that the alarm was switched off, he carefully turned onto his other side before he allowed another yawn to fall out of his mouth, his eyes closing for a couple of seconds.

“Remind me, why did you set that thing so early?”

Gerard, who’d had his eyes closed, jumped a little at the sound of Riley’s voice before he blinked his eyes open, peeking up at her softly. “You know why” he quipped “We’ve got a hospital appointment this morning and, now you’re carrying around our second bump, you’ve developed a habit of lying in” he added, offering her a boyish smile.

Riley, who’d moved to snuggle a little closer to her pillow, rolled her eyes a little. “I am not that bad” she quipped, a playful pout on her face

Gerard admired the pout on her face for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, a small chuckle falling out of his mouth. “I know” he mused softly “But I don’t want to miss this appointment. It’s another opportunity to see our little blob” he added, his hand carefully slipping beneath the shirt of his that she wore. It still felt a little odd, the idea that he and Riley were expecting a second baby so soon after Alexander had arrived, but still Gerard was excited, even if it had happened a little quickly, part of him couldn’t wait to meet their new son or daughter.

Riley jumped a little at the feeling of his cool hand against her warm skin before she peeked down at his hand, a soft smile playing at the corner of her mouth. “You know” she mused softly, breaking the comfortable silence which had settled around them “I was a little worried about how you’d take the news that we were expecting again so soon” she admitted softly.

Gerard, who’d been brushing his hand over her bump, tilted his head. “You were?” he posed gently.

Riley, who’d been watching the movements of his hand, chewed on her lip slightly before she nodded her head, her blue eyes peeking up at him. “It is soon” she mumbled “Alexander isn’t going to be one for a few weeks yet and I worried…I worried that you might think that it was too much too soon, especially after the trouble I’ve caused for you since we found out about Alex” she added, her fingers shyly pulling at a loose thread on her shirt.

Gerard allowed her words to hang around them for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, his hand moving to take a hold of hers in order to stop her from fiddling. “You’ve not caused me any trouble, Ry” he mumbled softly.

“Gerard…”

“You haven’t, Ry” Gerard interjected softly “I mean, putting us back together has not been the most straightforward thing, but it has worked out, even if it did take a little work. I am glad that we did it” he enthused, his thumb softly brushing over the back of her hand.

Riley offered him a slightly dubious look, something which made Gerard chuckle a little before he leant towards her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. “We’re good, Ry” he mumbled as he ducked away from her “And that’s what matters now. We’re onto something pretty amazing” he added with an impish smile before he pushed himself to his feet, mumbling something about checking on Alexander before he ducked out of the room.

Riley watched after him for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, a small smile playing at the corner of her mouth. It had taken a little work, after she had found out that she was pregnant with Alexander, it had taken her and Gerard more than a little time to figure things out, but she was glad that they had, even if she hadn’t made it easy on him. She was glad that he hadn’t given up on them.

~#~
“So, Riley, how are you feeling?” Alison posed as she offered Riley a spot on the examination bed.

Riley, who’d followed the midwife into the cubicle, shrugged a little. “I’m tired” she noted softly “And I get a little uncomfortable from time to time, but all in all, I am feeling pretty good. The nausea is all but gone now” she enthused, settling herself down on the bed.

Alison, who’d moved to collect Riley’s notes, nodded a little before she padded towards the brunette, offering her a small smile. “I’ve read over the results of your latest round of tests and I am happy with how the pregnancy is progressing. Both mama and baby seem to be doing really well” she enthused warmly.

“You’re sure?” Gerard, who’d sat beside Riley, posed softly.

Alison nodded. “I’m very happy” she noted softly “So, if you’re ok with it, Riley, I’d like to start your scan. Have you two given any thought as to whether or not you want to know the sex of the baby?” she posed, moving to scoot Riley’s shirt up slightly.

Riley, who’d flinched a little as Alison smeared the gel on her stomach, turned her head, her blue eyes peeking up at Gerard who looked back at her, a hopeful expression on his face. It was something that they’d talked about, whether or not they wanted to know the sex of their baby, but it had proved to be a sticking point between the two of them. Gerard wanted to know, he wanted to know whether he was planning for another son or a daughter, but Riley didn’t, wanting to enjoy the surprise that they hadn’t had when Alexander had come along.

Holding his stare for a couple of seconds, Riley rolled her eyes slightly before she shook her head, something which made Gerard grin triumphantly. “We’d like to find out if we can” he noted brightly.

Alison, who’d been running the wand over Riley’s bump, quirked a small smile before she flicked her attention to Riley. “Are you sure you want to know?” she posed.

Riley nodded. “He won’t shut up about it otherwise” she quipped playfully.

Alison spared a small smile before the distinct thump of the baby’s heart filled the air, something which caused Riley to reach her hand out, gently taking a hold of Gerard’s.

“Bump seems to be doing really well” Alison mused softly, running the wand over Riley’s stomach “She’s got a strong heartbeat and seems to be growing at the rate we’d expect” she added, peeking up at the couple coyly.

Riley, who’d been staring at the screen, mulled the midwife’s words over for a couple of seconds before she lifted her head, her expression slightly tearful. “She?” she squeaked softly.

Alison, who’d been jotting down a few notes, nodded. “She” she confirmed softly “Riley, Gerard, you’re expecting a little girl” she added gently.

Riley blinked a couple of times before she turned to Gerard, her blue eyes soft and tearful. “It’s a girl” she sniffed softly.

Gerard admired the soft expression on her face for a couple of seconds before he nodded his head, a smile on his lips. “It is” he confirmed softly “Our little girl” he added, his hand gently moving to rest on her bump.

Riley peeked at his hand for a couple of seconds before she leant into him, pressing a kiss against his lips that he was more than happy to respond to.