Give Me Your Heart

83: You Must Have Given It Some Thought

“Are you sure that you don’t want me to do that?”

Riley, who was sat on the floor of Alexander’s nursery, jumped a little at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she lifted her head, her blue eyes peeking towards the defender who stood in the doorway, a teasing smirk on his face. It was still early, unlike most mornings since Gerard had injured his ankle, both Riley and Gerard had opted to get up a little earlier than usual, something which Riley was sure was the result of neither of them wanting to miss out on a moment of Alexander’s first birthday.

It has passed quickly, the year that had passed since she and Gerard had welcomed the little boy into the world, but Riley was excited by the prospect of celebrating their son’s first birthday, even if he wouldn’t remember it. Part of her wanted to make a fuss of the little boy.

“I think I am almost done” Riley quipped “How’s everything going downstairs?” she posed, carefully moving to lift Alexander up, smoothing out the shirt she had dressed him in.

Gerard, who rested in the doorway, admired the two of them for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, moving to pad a little deeper into the room. “Everything is perfectly under control, Ry” he mused, moving to carefully lift Alexander out of her arms and into his “Besides, I am sure once your madre arrives as well as mine, they’ll be more than happy to take over, allowing you to relax” he added, his spare hand gently brushing against her bump.

It had been a little while, after they’d found out that they were expecting a little girl, a couple of weeks had passed, and whilst the news had come as a slight surprise to Gerard who had been expecting another boy, he doubted that he could be any happier, even if Riley did still have a little way to go in her pregnancy, part of him couldn’t wait for the new addition to their little family to arrive.

Riley spared a small look down towards his hand before she lifted her head, offering him a small smile before she pushed herself up onto her toes, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. “I should get back downstairs to ensure that none of the food I’ve cooked has burned” she mumbled, pulling away from him slightly “Do you think you’ll be OK to watch this little guy until everyone else shows up?” she posed, carefully smoothing out the dark hair which sat on top of Alexander’s head.

Gerard quirked a small smile before he leant into her, sneaking another soft kiss. “I think I’ll cope” he mused softly, ducking away from her.

Riley offered him another bright smile before she pressed a kiss to his cheek and Alexander’s head before she padded out of the room.

Gerard watched her go for a couple of seconds before he flicked his attention towards Alexander, offering the toddler a small smile. Things had been good, since he had proposed to Riley, things between the two of them had been comfortable and settled, and it pleased Gerard, even if he was slightly concerned about how they would cope when their little girl arrived, he was more than happy with the way things were between him and Riley.

~#~
“So, Riley, how is the wedding planning coming along?” Audrey quipped as she settled into the seat beside her daughter, placing a bottle of water into the younger woman’s hand. It had been good day, with Riley and Gerard having invited their families as well as a few of their friends to celebrate Alexander’s first birthday, the house had been full of activity, and whilst Riley was pleased that everyone was around to make a fuss of Alexander, she had been hoping for a couple of minutes of quiet, something which her mother was likely to prevent.

Stifling the urge to sigh, she took the bottle out of her mother’s hand before she shrugged. “It’s not something we’re thinking about right now, mama” she noted softly, her hands shyly playing with the hem of her dress “I mean, we both know that what we want in the long run, but right now, we’re pretty preoccupied with something else” she added, her blue eyes peeking down towards her bump.

Audrey spared a small look down towards the bump before she shook her head. “You’ve really not given it much thought?” she posed softly “I mean, I know that it is not going to happen for a while, but you must have given it a little thought” she added softly.

Riley stifled the urge to roll her eyes before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her, causing her to look up towards Gerard who stood in the doorway, Alexander babbling happily in his arms. “I didn’t mean to interrupt” he noted softly “But I was thinking that it was about time for his cake. Riley?” he posed, offering her a soft look.

Riley quirked a small smile before she nodded her head, something which caused her mother to push herself to her feet, moving to pad through the towards kitchen.

Riley watched after her for a couple of seconds before she pushed herself to her feet, moving to follow after her, only for Gerard to stretch out an arm, preventing her from getting past. “You Ok?” he posed softly.

“You know how she can be” Riley mused softly “I mean, we’re planning for the arrival of her next grandbaby and all she wants to talk about is a wedding that you and I haven’t even discussed properly. I know that she means well but I just wish that she would back off every once in a while” she added, peeking up at him softly. She knew that her mother meant well, since she and Gerard had made amends, Audrey had been more than excited about the prospect of her daughter moving forwards with defender, but part of Riley wanted her to back off for a little while, even if she knew that she was only trying help, it made her feel a little overwhelmed.

Gerard offered her a soft look before he leant towards her, pressing a kiss against the top of her head. “We could always elope” he suggested, his tone caught between serious and joking.

Riley offered him a slightly dubious look, briefly contemplating the idea, before Lionel ducked into the room. “Are you two coming through?” he quipped.

“Of course” Gerard noted “We’re on our way, aren’t we, Ry?” he posed, offering his hand out towards her.

Riley blinked a couple of times, her mind caught on Gerard’s suggestion, before she nodded her head. “Of course” she enthused, lacing their fingers together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)