Give Me Your Heart

84: Let’s Do It Right

Running a hairbrush through her hair, Riley let out a soft sigh, her mind still whirring with the notion of eloping that Gerard had put forwards. She knew that he had been joking, for a while, whenever she complained about her mother’s pushiness, Gerard had quipped about the idea of them simply getting it over and done with, but it had made Riley think, even if she didn’t want to hurt her parents or Gerard’s, a small part of her was warming to the idea of getting married sooner rather than later.

Brushing her dark hair through a couple more times, she mulled the idea over for a couple more seconds before the sound of the bedroom door opening and closing reached her ears, causing her to turn a little, offering Gerard a soft look. “You were gone for a while” she noted softly “Was Alex fussy?” she added, carefully moving to settle her hairbrush down onto the dresser.

Gerard, who’d moved to pull off his jeans, nodded a little. “He was” he confirmed “But I think he was just excited. It’s not every day that you have a 1st birthday party” he added, offering her a bright smile.

Riley returned his smile gently before she pushed herself up to her feet, moving to toe off her slippers before she carefully pulled back the duvet, moving to settle down against the mattress.

Gerard watched her for a couple of seconds before he shook his head, a soft sigh falling out of his mouth. It wasn’t the first time, since she’d spent time with her mother, Riley had been a little distant and quiet, and it irked Gerard a little, even if she had been keen to enjoy the rest of Alexander’s birthday party, he was a little irked that she was being a little off with him.

Offering her another soft look, he shook his head once more before he sat down on the side of the bed. “Are you going to tell me what is going on with you, Ry, or do I have to guess again?” he posed, his voice caught between calm and irked.

Riley, who’d been curled up against her pillow, jumped a little at the sound of his voice before she turned over, offering him a look. “Gerard…”

“Don’t tell me it is nothing, Ry” Gerard interrupted “You’ve been odd since you talked with your madre and I want to know why. Did she say something she shouldn’t have done?” he posed, his hand gently moving to take a hold of hers as his expression softened slightly.

Riley glanced down at their hands for a couple of seconds before she shook her head. “She didn’t say anything that she shouldn’t have done” she mused softly “It was actually something you said that got me thinking” she added, her blue eyes briefly mirroring his.

Gerard tilted his head. “It was?” he posed gently.

Riley nodded. “I love my mother, and after the way she and my papa acted towards you when we first got back together, I am thrilled that she’s so excited about the idea of you and me making it up the aisle, but it is all she wants to talk about and I don’t know how much more of it I can take. We’ve not even talked about a wedding yet, and I just…I want the next few months to be quiet and calm” she added, her hand gently resting on her bump.

Gerard glanced down at her hand, mulling her words over for a second before he lifted his head. “Riley…”

“I know you were kidding when you suggested it” Riley interrupted softly “But, the more I think about it, the more it seems to make sense” she added, a slight smile pulling at the corner of her mouth.

Gerard blinked a couple of times before he tilted his head. “You’re thinking about us eloping?” he posed gently.

Riley offered him a timid look before she nodded her head softly, something which made Gerard shake his head a little. It was a surprise, the idea that Riley was even contemplating the notion of them eloping, and he didn’t quite know what to say to her, even if the idea of marrying her sooner rather than later was tempting, he didn’t want to go through it just for Riley to regret it further down the line.

“Gerard?”

Gerard, who’d drifted off a little, startled a little at the sound of Riley’s voice before he lifted his head, his blue eyes mirroring hers. “You’re seriously thinking about it?” he posed gently.

“I am” Riley confirmed softly.

Gerard offered her a soft look before he squeezed her hand, a soft sigh falling out of his mouth. “I love that you’re thinking about it” he noted softly “It’s a huge change from the girl who freaked out when she found a ring brochure in my drawer, but Riley, I don’t think it is the best for us” he added, his tone soft and tentative.

Riley tilted her head, something which made Gerard squeeze her hand once more. “I love you” he mused gently “And I have no doubt that I want to marry you, I’ve wanted it for a while now, but I don’t want us to rush through it just because your mother’s pushy. This is a huge thing, Ry, a day that, if I have my way, you’re only get to go through once, and I want it to be perfect for you, something I don’t think it will be if we run into it right now. I highly doubt that when you imagined getting married as a little girl, you were 6 months pregnant when you said your vows” he added, his spare hand gently brushing against her bump.

It was tempting, the idea of eloping was something which had crossed his mind more than once, but still he wanted to opt against it, even if he couldn’t wait to address Riley as his wife, he knew that waiting was for the best.

Riley allowed his words to hang around them for a couple of seconds before she nodded her head, a soft blush on her cheeks. “You’re probably right” she mumbled softly.

Gerard admired the soft blush on her cheeks before he leant towards her, pressing a soft kiss against her cheeks “I just want to make sure that when we do it, we do it right, Ry” he mumbled against her skin “I want to make sure that we have a day that we’re going to look back at and smile about for years” he added, pressing another kiss against her cheek.

Riley leant into the contact, something which made Gerard grin before he tilted his head, pressing a kiss against her temple before he shifted his hand, gently resting it against her bump. Riley peeked down at his hand and opened her mouth to say something, only for a small squeak to fall instead, something which made Gerard chuckle as the baby kicked against his palm. “Even our little girl agrees with me” he teased impishly “She wants her madre to have the perfect day too” he added softly.

Riley rolled her eyes gently before she lifted her head, pressing a gentle kiss against his lips. “You’re sure?” she posed softly.

Gerard nodded. “I am” he mused softly “And I will talk to your madre, even if she isn’t my biggest fan, we’ve got something else we need to be focused on right now and I am not going to have her push you into anything. Our little girl is priority right now, OK?” he posed softly.

Riley nodded her head softly before she turned, pressing another kiss against his lips. “I don’t say this anywhere near enough, but I love you, and I am glad that we got things figured out. I am so happy to have you” she mumbled softly.

Gerard smiled gently at her words before he stole a couple of light kisses, wordlessly returning the same sentiment to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)