Give Me Your Heart

88: I Could Get Used To Him

Sparing a soft yawn into his hand, Gerard carefully nudged the door to Riley’s room open, his blue eyes peeking towards the brunette who was curled up on the bed, soft snores falling out of her mouth. It had been a little while, after they’d chosen a name for the baby, Riley had been quick to fall back to sleep, and Gerard was glad that she had, wanting her to relax for a little while before Arabella needed a feed.

Ensuring that he had closed door quietly behind him, he carefully padded back towards the bed before sat down, his blue eyes peeking into the bassinette where Arabella laid, sleeping comfortably. Quirking a gentle smile, he watched her for a couple of seconds before he rested back in his seat, his head resting against the back of it.

It had been a long day, after Riley had gone into labour, Gerard had barely had a second to relax, but he knew that he wouldn’t have changed a thing, even if he was exhausted, he was glad that he had been there when Riley had bought Arabella into the world.

Sparing a soft yawn, he closed his eyes for a couple of seconds before the sound of a knock at the door echoed, causing him to let out a muted groan before he carefully pushed himself up to his feet. Ensuring that neither Riley nor Arabella had been disturbed by the noise, he carefully pulled the door open before he ducked into the hall, his blue eyes peeking towards Audrey who stood ahead of him, a slightly sheepish expression on her face.

“I’m sorry for disturbing you” she noted softly “I didn’t mean to, but I got your message and I thought I would come by and check on things. I can go if you want” she added, offering him a small smile.

Gerard mulled her words over for a couple of seconds before he shook her head, offering her a soft smile. “It’s OK” he noted softly “It’s just…Ry and the baby are asleep and I don’t want to disturb them. It’s been a pretty long day” he added, his hand gently rubbing the back of his neck as he attempted to stifle another yawn.

Audrey admired the expression on his face for a couple of seconds before she shook her head, a warm smile perched on her face. “It looks like it” she mused softly.

Gerard’s cheeks warmed a little before he shook his head. “You can come inside if you want” he noted softly “You’ll just have to be quiet. Riley’s just gotten back to sleep and I want to leave her to it for a little while” he added, carefully nudging the door open. It wasn’t what he wanted, for a while, he merely wanted to enjoy having Riley and Arabella to himself, but he knew that he couldn’t send Audrey away, even if it was tempting, he knew that he had to make the effort with his future mother-in-law.

Audrey offered him a slightly dubious look, wordlessly checking if he was sure, before she ducked underneath his arm, padding into the room before she stepped towards the bassinette which sat beside the bed, her eyes widening a little at the sight of the baby who laid inside, stirring a little in her sleep.

“She’s pretty amazing, isn’t she?”

Audrey, who’d been admiring the infant, startled a little at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a soft tearful smile. “She’s stunning” she squeaked gently.

“She is, isn’t she?” Gerard quipped, smiling a little as Arabella let out a soft snuffle in her sleep.

Audrey admired the smile on his face for a couple seconds before she nodded. “She’s beautiful, Gerard” she mused softly “Have you chosen a name for her yet?” she added, her fingers lightly straightening the sleepsuit that Arabella wore.

Gerard nodded. “We have” he confirmed “This is our little girl, Arabella” he added gently.

Audrey mulled the name over for a couple of seconds before she quirked a soft smile. “It’s beautiful” she mused softly “Arabella Piqué Cortez” she added warmly.

Gerard allowed the name to hang around them for a couple of seconds before Riley made a small noise, causing him to lift his head, offering her a small smile. “Look who’s up” he quipped impishly.

Riley, who’d tossed onto her side, blinked a couple of times before she shook her head. “Have I been asleep for long?” she posed, pushing her dark hair off of her face.

“A couple of hours” Gerard noted “But it’s OK. You clearly needed it” he added, offering her a comforting smile.

Riley offered him a slightly dubious look before she tilted her head, her eyes settling on her mother. “Madre” she breathed softly “What are you doing here?” she posed gently.

Audrey, who’d been watching Arabella, quirked a small smile before she lifted her head. “I got Gerard’s message when I got home from work and I thought I would come and see how things were going. I don’t plan on staying long. I’m sure the two of you would like to keep this little angel to yourselves for a little while longer” she mused warmly.

Riley quirked a soft smile at her mother’s words before the sound of Gerard’s phone filled the air, causing him to shake his head. “It’s my madre” he noted softly “I told her to call when she was going to put Alexander to bed so that I could say goodnight. I’ll be back in a couple of minutes” he added before he ducked out of the room.

Riley watched after him for a couple of seconds before she flicked her attention towards her mother, not missing the grin that played at the corner of Audrey’s mouth. “What?” she quipped softly.

Audrey shook her head. “I was just watching the two of you” she quipped softly “You’re very cute together” she added warmly.

Riley’s cheeks warmed a little at the compliment, something which made Audrey smile before she moved to sit down on the side of her daughter’s bed. “I know I’ve been a pain” she noted softly “Both since you two got back together and since you got engaged, but I want you to know that I am so happy for you, Ry. He’s a good man, that’s become very clear over the last few months, and I am sorry for ever doubting that. You always knew it and I should have believed you” she added gently.

Riley mulled her words over for a couple of seconds before she tilted her head. “You mean that?” she posed softly.

“I do” Audrey confirmed softly “He’s good for you, for Alexander and Arabella too, and that’s all I want. It’s a work in progress, but I think I could get used to him as my future son-in-law” she enthused warmly.

Riley allowed her words to hang around them for a couple of seconds before she quirked a small smile, wrapping her mother in a soft hug. She knew that it was going to take a little time, whilst her parents seemed to be warming to Gerard, she doubted that they would ever be completely on board with him, but she was glad that they were making progress. She wanted her mother and father to warm to the man who wasn’t likely to be going anywhere anytime soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)