Give Me Your Heart

08: Is That A Problem?

“You’ll keep us informed, won’t you?” Montserrat quipped as she moved to stand up, pulling Riley into a soft hug. It had been a pleasant afternoon, after Riley’s nerves had faded a little, the small group had spent a lot of time talking, and Riley felt better, something which relieved Gerard a little. He knew that they still had a way to go, Alexa and Riley’s parents were just two more barriers that they had to face, but he was pleased to see her smiling a little. It wasn’t something he’d seen very much of since she’d told him about the baby.

“Of course I will” Riley enthused “I’ll make sure that Gerard gives you a picture after the next scan too” she enthused, offering a small grin towards the defender who was stood in the door way, patiently waiting to get moving.

“I’d love that” Montserrat enthused “And we’d have to go shopping together” she added excitedly.

Riley offered her a warm smile before she pulled her into another warm hug, mumbling a soft thank you into her ear. Montserrat hugged her gently before she stepped away, allowing Riley to pad towards Gerard. “You ready to get out of here?” he posed.

Riley nodded. “Gracias for lunch” she mused, offering a smile towards the older couple before she followed Gerard out of the room.

“Am I taking you home?” Gerard quipped as they padded towards his car.

“I have nowhere else to go” Riley countered “Though, I wish I did. Ryan’s in town for the next few days and he and Cassidy are all over one another. It’s kind of gross” she quipped, wrinkling her nose a little.

Gerard chuckled a little. “You want to grab some dinner?” he posed. They had been there for a while, what he had originally meant to be a brief visit had turned into a few hours, and he was pleased that Riley had seemed so relaxed. It was a marked contrast to the way she had been before they’d broken the news to his parents.

“You don’t have to do that” Riley quipped as she moved to sit in the passenger seat.

“I know” Gerard quipped, sitting at her side “But you didn’t exactly eat a lot at lunch time and I would like to make sure that you eat something. You’re eating for two now” he enthused, offering her a small smile. It felt better, for the few hours that they’d been together, conversation had seemed more natural and less awkward, and he was keen to keep it going, even if it was only for a little while longer, he wanted to relax a little around her.

“I am sure that you have something else to do” Riley quipped, shaking her head slightly.

“I wouldn’t offer if I did” Gerard mused “Besides, it’s just dinner. We could pick up something on the way and head back to mine” he offered.

Riley looked at him for a moment, trying to find a reason to reject his offer, but she couldn’t. She knew what he was trying to do, he was trying to ease the tension between them, and she knew how it would look if she rejected his attempts. He was trying to make things easier and she didn’t want to be the one who made them hard. “Are you sure?” she posed.

“It’s just dinner, Riley” Gerard shrugged “Besides, we’re going to be seeing a lot of one another. We might as well attempt to make things easier, no?” he posed as he moved to start the car.

Riley nodded her head. “Alright” she agreed.

~#~
“Are we still on for this weekend?” Gerard posed as he pushed the last of his food around his plate. It had been a little awkward, without his parents around to spark conversation, the dinner that he and Riley had shared had been full of awkward pauses or nervous words, but he knew that it was something that they were both going to have to get used to, even if it would be hard work for a while, he wanted to be on good terms with Riley by the time their baby put in his or her first appearance.

Riley, who was sipping on a glass of water, nodded. “My mother sent a message this morning confirming that she and my papa will be here on Sunday” she noted “Are you sure that you still want to be there?” she posed.

“You were there today” Gerard countered “It’s only fair” he added.

Riley shook her head a little, mumbling something about him being odd, causing Gerard to chuckle a little. “You want to go alone?” he teased as he moved to clear up their plates.

“I don’t want to go at all” Riley quipped “But I think we both know it’s going to be worse for you than me” she added.

“I know that” Gerard quipped “But I want to be there. This is my bump too, Riley, and I want people to know it” he enthused as he carefully placed a hand on the small bump beneath her shirt.

Riley peeked down at his hand for a moment before she smiled, resting her hand over his. “I’m glad you’re around, you know” she noted gently.

“I know” Gerard smiled gently “And I am going to be around for everything. If you need anything…” Gerard’s words fell away as the sound of the doorbell echoed, causing him to sigh a little. “I ought to get that” he noted gently.

Riley nodded a little, affording him the chance to pad towards the door before he pulled it open, his blue eyes widening a little at the sight of Alexa who stood on the stoop, a smile on her face. “You are in” she enthused “I was starting to think you were avoiding me” she enthused.

“Alexa” Gerard breathed softly “What are you doing here?” he posed, shifting a little.

“I’ve not seen you in a few days and I thought I could come over and see you. Is that an issue?” she posed.

Gerard opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off as Riley stepped into the hall, his ringing phone in her hand. “Gerard, your phone is…Oh” she spluttered.

Alexa tilted her head, her green eyes looking Riley up and down before she flicked her attention to Gerard. “Something you want to tell me?” she posed.

Gerard looked between the two women for a moment before he stepped away from the door slightly, allowing Alexa to step inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)