Give Me Your Heart

89: It Worked Out

Running a brush through her hair, Riley spared a small look towards the mirror which stood ahead of her, a tired expression marking her features. It had been a long night, with Arabella being more than a little fussy, neither Riley nor Gerard had gotten a great deal of sleep, but Riley didn’t mind, even if she was more than a little tired, she had enjoyed spending time with Arabella.

Running her brush through her hair a couple more times, she moved to stow it in the bag which sat on the counter before she quietly stepped back into the small hospital room, her blue eyes settling on Gerard who sat up on the bed, cooing softly to Arabella who sat in his arms, her tiny arms and legs stirring a little.

Pausing in the door way, Riley watched them for a couple of seconds, before she quirked a soft smile, marveling a little at the sight which stood ahead of her. It still felt a little odd, the idea that she and Gerard had welcomed a second baby was one that was going to take some time to settle in, but she was confident that they’d get used to it, even if it did take some time to settle in, she was sure that they’d adapt.

“I know you’re watching me”

Riley, who’d drifted off a little, startled at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a soft smile. “I like seeing the two of you together” she mused “You’re pretty cute” she added, moving to stow her toiletries bag into the holdall which sat at the foot of the bed.

Gerard, who’d moved to sit up a little, quirked a small smile before he leant forwards, gently setting Arabella into her car seat before he reached his hand out, gently tugging Riley to stand ahead of him. “Did Alison mention when she was going to come by to check on you and Bella?” he posed, his fingers gently messing with hers.

Riley watched the movement of his fingers for a couple of seconds before she shook her head. “She didn’t give me a specific time” she mused softly “But I am sure that she will be by soon. Why, you don’t want to spend another day here?” she quipped, a teasing smile on her face.

Gerard admired the grin on her face for a couple of seconds before he carefully pushed himself up, pressing a soft kiss against her lips. Riley startled slightly, surprised by the kiss, before she wrapped her arms around his neck, holding him close for a couple seconds before she ducked back, offering him a soft smile. “You know, I kind of love you” she teased softly.

Gerard rolled his eyes playfully before he ducked down, pressing another kiss against her lips. “I know you do” he mumbled softly “And you have to know that I feel the same, even if we’ve had our fair share of ups and downs, I’m pretty glad to be stuck with you. I love you, Ry” he added, his voice warm and kind.

Riley’s cheeks warmed a little at his words before she wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a warm hug that he was more than happy to return. She knew that he had a point, their relationship had had a few ups and downs since she had told him about her first pregnancy, but she was glad that it had worked out, even if at times it had seemed as though it wouldn’t, she was glad that they’d figured it out.

~#~
“My parents are going to pop by this afternoon as well as yours”

Riley, who’d been settling Arabella into her Moses’ basket, jumped a little at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a small look as he stepped into the living room, Alexander balanced on his hip. It had been a long morning, with Alison having been delayed in completing her checks on Riley and Arabella, they’d spent a little longer in hospital that the brunette would have liked, but she was glad to be home, even if people were likely to pop by to meet the baby, she was simply glad to be back where she felt comfortable.

“They are?” she posed softly.

“They are” Gerard confirmed “They wanted to come back with me now but I figured you’d rather introduce these two with just us around” he added, moving to settle onto the couch beside her.

Riley offered him a soft look before she flicked her attention towards Alexander, offering him a soft smile. “Hola, Alex” she greeted softly.

Alexander, who’d been quietly peeking around the room, turned at the sound of her voice before he lifted his head, a bright grin on his face. “Mama!” he squeaked.

Riley grinned before she moved to take him out of Gerard’s arms, settling her into her lap. “Did you have fun with nana?” she posed, tickling his sides softly, something which made Alexander squeak with laughter.

Gerard watched the two of them for a second before he nodded. “My madre said he was wonderfully behaved” he noted softly “She said that he was a little fussy when it came to bedtime, but he settled quickly. I think he’s missed you though” he added, playfully nudging Riley’s side.

Riley offered him a soft smile before Arabella let out a soft noise, pulling the attention of her parents and older brother towards her. “Mama?” Alexander squeaked, his blue eyes peeking towards his little sister.

Riley brushed the hair off of his forehead before she pressed a kiss against his forehead. “Alex, this is your new baby sister, Arabella” she mumbled softly.

Alexander tilted his head, something which made Gerard smile. “Why don’t you say hello to baba, Alex?” he posed softly.

Alexander frowned for a second before he carefully leant forwards, his little hand brushing against Arabella’s. “Baba” he mumbled softly.

Gerard, who’d been watching him, quirked a soft smile before he ducked down, pressing a light kiss against the top of the toddler’s head. It was going to be strange for a while, the idea that he and Riley had had a second baby was one that was going to take a little getting used to, but he was proud of them, even if they had stumbled a few times along the way. He was pleased that things between him and Riley had worked out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)