Status: Rating for language

My Dream Come True

Andrew Parrish

My alarm went off five hours later and I yawned. I poked my head into my mom’s room. She was still passed out and, if her behavior yesterday and this morning was any indication, she would be for a while. I changed into a pair of jeans and a short sleeved shirt. It was spring and Oklahoma couldn’t decide if it wanted to be hot or cool.

If you ask me, that groundhog stuff was bullshit.

I got into my piece of shit car again and drove to The Java Internet Café. Cliché, I know, but the coffee was amazing and they knew me there. I walked in and put my laptop bag on my usual leather chair, marking it as mine, and went in line. I was still rubbing the sleep out of my house when I got to the front.

“An extra shot or two?” the barista, a college student named Kevin, asked.

“Two,” I groaned.

He put my order in and swiped my card. I yawned widely and shook myself. I had a strange feeling. Figuring it was the lack of sleep, I leaned against the wall by the counter to wait for my coffee. Someone was watching me and I looked around. Everyone was focused on their computers, though, so I assumed I was being paranoid.

“There ya go,” Kevin said, passing me my iced white mocha.

“You’re the best,” I said.

“Yeah, I know,” he returned with a wink.

I felt a little guilty. Kevin clearly had a crush on me, something I didn’t return. He was only 19 and I had turned 24 three days ago. Thankfully, he hadn’t made any advances so we had a good friendship.

I plugged my laptop and let out a sigh of relief when it turned on. The screen didn’t crack and it pulled up like normal. I got comfortable but kept my phone on the arm rest in case I got another phone call about my mother.

I pulled up my Gmail and grinned when I saw I had an email from one of the members of the writer’s club I was part of. I double clicked on it and it opened a new window.

Holy shit, Rose. Where do you come up with this stuff!? This is amazing! I’ve only made it about a quarter of the way through but I wanted you to know it rocks. I’ll be at The Java on Friday. Wanna meet for coffee and compare notes on both of our stuff? – Lexi

I pressed reply.

Thanks! I’d love to meet up with you! I have Friday off so why don’t we shoot for noon? See you on Friday! – Rose

I reached for my coffee, not really paying much attention, and took a long gulp.

I coughed. “What the-!?”

“I do believe that was mine,” an amused voice said and I turned.

I nearly dropped the coffee. The man sitting beside me had jet black hair and deep blue eyes. His skin was pale and perfect. His pale pink lips were parted as he smirked.

“Uh-Uh right,” I breathed. “Shit. Sorry.”

I put it down and reached for mine but he took it and drank a long gulp.

“Ooh, white mocha,” he said, passing it to me and I blushed. “Nice choice. Lots of coffee in there, though. Late night?”

“I-I work in a call center,” I said. “Midnight shift….”

He smiled some more and held his hand out. “Andrew Parrish.”

“Rose Emerson,” I said and shook his hand. “Wait a minute. Did you say Andrew Parrish?”

“Yeah,” he said. “Why?”

I was about to tell him the truth then stopped myself. I would sound like a creeper. But he looked exactly like….

“So, you work in a call center,” he said, leaning back. “What else do you do?”

“Just some light writing,” I said, getting comfortable, too. “What about you?”

He scoffed, stirring his straw. “Well, my brother would call me a couch surfer but I’m more of a… drifter.”

I bit my lower lip.

“You must frequent this café,” he said suddenly and I nodded mutely. “Why’s that?”

It was my turn to play with my straw. I sighed.

“It’s the best place for me to come write,” I answered.

“Boyfriend at home give you grief for it?” he asked and I blushed some more.

“Oh, I don’t have a boyfriend,” I said and he tilted his head to the side. Holy shit. He even had his mannerisms! “I live with my mom. She’s ill.”

He frowned. “I’m sorry to hear that.”

“She brought it on herself,” I blurted. “God, that sounded awful,” I groaned, tossing my head back.

“She abuses?” he whispered and I nodded, looking back at home. “My sister does, too.”

“How are you a drifter?” I asked.

He stretched and I realized he was wearing a business suit.

“I’m trying to start up my own law firm,” he answered. “It’s hard finding a place that’s not already full of lawyers.”

“Why not partner with them?” I asked.

“It’s been my dream to have my own firm,” he said. He smiled. “I guess I’m a little too stubborn for my own good.” His phone started to play a classical tune. “Well, that’s my cue to get back on the hunt.” He stood up and held out his hand. “I hope to see you again, Miss Emerson.”

I shook his hand again. “Bye,” I breathed and he shot me another smile before walking out.

My jaw dropped.

“Did that really just happen?” I whispered to myself, watching as he disappeared into a fancy shiny black car. “It can’t be him.”

-

I couldn’t get Andrew Parrish out of my head. When I got back to work the next day, my boss was waiting with an apology coffee.

I scoffed. “Lord knows you owe me several of these,” I said and he grinned.

“I didn’t think she’d actually call,” he said. “I was going to tell her today.”

“Jeez. I didn’t even think people like her existed,” I muttered. “How old is she?”

He got into his chair and swung around to face me. “She’ll be 64 this year,” he answered and I nodded. “So, who’s the guy?”

“Huh?” I asked, looking up from my keyboard where I was trying to remember the complicated password I had been given.

He laughed. “You look like you just ran into your prince charming,” he said, batting his eyelashes.

I scoffed. “It’s not like that. Just some dude at the coffee shop threw me off for a minute there.”

“Oh yeah?” he asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

“Get your head out of the gutter,” I snapped, “and let me change this password!”

He laughed again. “All right, all right.”

He rolled over and logged in to the admin account so I could go in and change it to something easier. While I waited for the day to start, I pulled up the email I got back from Lexi. She was excited to meet with me tomorrow and I sent her a quick message.

Ever see those movies Stranger Than Fiction and Practical Magic? Yeah, pretty sure I’m living that right now. See you tomorrow.