Status: Rating for language

My Dream Come True

Silver Lining

“I never knew why it had to burn so much.”

Andrew laughed. “It’s rum, Rose.”

“Eh. Shut up.”

He laughed again. It was the day after we found my mother’s body. I spent the day and night in Miranda’s house, not ready to go back in there on my own yet. Andrew’s friend was going to come over in two more days to search the house.

Currently, Andrew and I were sitting in the driveway with Taco Bell wrappers around us and an empty Bacardi bottle in my lap. He was watching me, amused, as I sat there completely plastered.

“Want some?” I asked, holding it out and he snorted.

“Maybe next time,” he said.

I shrugged. “Your loss.”

I went to drink it but it was empty. I narrowed my eyes at the bottle then at him.

“Did you drink all of this?”

He rolled his eyes and leaned against my shitty car. I puffed my cheeks out and did the same, stretching my legs out. I wiggled my feet. His legs were bent so I nudged one.

“Relax,” I said.

“I am relaxed,” he said. “My legs are just ridiculously long.”

I snorted. “We’re in my driveway, dork. There’s plenty of room.” He shrugged and stretched his legs out. I blinked. “Holy shit. You’re right.”

His legs really were long.

“Told ya.”

“Are they real?”

He laughed loudly. “You’re fun drunk, you know.”

“I’m not drunk,” I said and he arched a brow at me. “I’m just…. Yeah, I’m drunk.” I sighed and put my head on his shoulder. “I deserve to be, though.”

“Is that what you call it?” he asked quietly.

“Yep.”

“I’m really sorry about-”

“Shh,” I said, looking at him and trying to cover his mouth. “Stop moving, dammit.” He smirked at me. “I don’t wanna talk about her right now.”

“All right,” he agreed and I nodded, putting my head back on his shoulder. “What do you want to talk about then?”

“Why my neighbor’s grass is so fucking green and mine is bland,” I said.

Andrew stretched, putting his arm around my shoulders. I scootched closer, inhaling his cologne.

“Damn, you smell good,” I mumbled.

“That’s what happens when you shower,” he laughed. “Your neighbor’s grass, by the way, is fake.”

I frowned. “How do you know?”

“I’m psychic,” he joked.

I looked up at him and narrowed my eyes. “You’re Andrew Parrish.”

“Yeah, I know I am.”

I sat up straight and turned to face him. “No. I mean you’re Andrew Parrish.”

He sighed. “I think it’s time you get to bed, Rose,” he said quietly.

I blinked as he stood up, helping me. “Wait. Do you know you’re Andrew Parrish?”

“Come on,” he said, pulling me to my front door.

“But you’re Andrew Parrish!”

He sighed again. “Rose, you need to get some sleep, okay? We’ll talk tomorrow.”

I narrowed my eyes. “You know, don’t you?”

“You’re not going to remember any of this in the morning,” he said with a smirk.

“Maybe not,” I agreed and poked his forehead. “You, though, I’ll remember one thing about.”

He stepped closer. “What’s that, Rose?”

I looked up into his eyes. I was still seeing double but I knew where his lips were.

“You’re my Silver Lining,” I whispered, standing on my toes to kiss him.

I passed out before I could.

-

I groaned. “Oh Lord,” I moaned. “I have the worst headache.”

I sat up and looked around. I was in my bathroom curled up with the toilet. I frowned and rubbed my eyes, trying to remember what happened last night. Did I go out for the night? Perhaps I went clubbing? To my left, my phone was blinking and I pressed the home button.

“Shit,” I hissed at the bright light.

I blinked a few times until my eyes adjusted. I had two texts, one from Mr. Pope and one from Andrew. I opened Pope’s first.

Don’t worry about coming in today. I’m really sorry about your mom.

I scoffed and opened Andrew’s.

You’re probably in your bathroom right now with no memory of last night. Well duh. Call me when you’re sober enough.

I yawned and stood up slowly. I groaned again and dug through the medicine cabinet until I found some Tylenol. The house felt eerily creepy and I really didn’t want to be here. I dry swallowed the Tylenol and changed into some sweats and a large shirt. I packed up my laptop and got in my car.

Going to The Java. Meet me there?

I waited before starting the car, taking a few deep breaths. My car smelled like burritos….

You bet. I’ll buy. See you in 10. – AP

I nodded and turned the key in the ignition. Before I pulled out, Miranda came to my car with a small smile.

“Hey, sweetie,” she said and I smiled a little back. “Do you want to join my husband and I for dinner tonight? You can bring your boyfriend.”

“Boyfriend?” I asked.

“Yeah, the one that took care of you last night.”

“Oh! You mean Andrew.” I rubbed my eyes, my hungover mind still a little confused. “Sure. I’m about to meet him for coffee. I’ll ask.”

“Great,” she beamed and walked off.

“Wait! He’s not my boyfriend!” I yelled but she was already in her house.

I sighed and shook my head, pulling into the street. I drove slowly. It was a little after 8. I knew the real reason Miranda invited me for dinner. She was probably worried that I’d go nuts in the house by myself. Honestly, I probably would. I never wanted to go in there on my own again.

When I walked in, Kevin handed me my coffee.

“I put in a couple extra shots,” he said. “I heard about your mom and-”

“Thanks Kevin,” I whispered and walked away before he could respond.

“Well, there she is.”

Andrew was sitting in the leather chair beside my normal one. I yawned and sat down in the other one. I turned to face him, taking a deep gulp of my coffee. He was waiting until I woke up a little bit more.

“What happened last night?” I asked. “My car smells like burritos.”

He laughed. “We went to Taco Bell,” he answered, drinking his coffee, too. “It was your fancy restaurant choice.”

I clicked my tongue and pointed at him. “Can’t get fancier than TB.”

He chuckled, stirring his straw. “Yeah. Anyway, then we went to the club for some drinks. You got a little… carried away so I took you home.”

I frowned. “Are you sure?” I asked. “Because, for some reason, I remember sitting on my driveway; did I pass out there?”

“Yes,” he said quickly and I shrugged.

“Okay.” I looked at him fully. He was in a business suit but it was his face that caught my attention. He looked… guilty? “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he said. “Just worried about you, that’s all.”

“’Cause of my mom?” I mumbled.

He nodded. “Are you going into work tonight?”

“No,” I sighed. “Apparently word’s gotten out about my mom.”

“Yeah, it was on the news this morning.”

“Mr. Pope said not to come in,” I finished with a shrug. I cleared my throat. “My neighbor invited us to dinner tonight.”

“Oh yeah?” he asked, sounding more relaxed.

I nodded. “Do you wanna come? You don’t have to,” I added quickly. “I know it’s probably weird but-”

He laughed. “Chill, Rose. I’d love to. What time?”

“She didn’t say. I’ll text you later.”

He nodded. “What are you doing today?”

I patted my laptop bag. “Writing. Writing the shit out of Microsoft Word,” I added, shaking my head. “It’s…. Writing is my way of getting better.”

“Hey, you don’t have to explain it to me,” he said softly and I smiled gratefully. “I do have to go to work, though. I’m really sorry.”

“It’s okay. Thanks for helping me out last night. I’ll text you when I hear from Miranda.”

“All right,” he said standing up. He hesitated then leaned down and kissed my forehead. “Have a good day, Rose.”

“You, too, Andrew.”

He smiled, winked, and left.

I put my coffee on the table and got my laptop out. I plugged it in and saw an email from Lexi marked urgent.

I frowned and double clicked it.

Hey girl. Heard about your mom. Shit, I’m sorry. News report said Andrew Parrish was with you. You guys dating? Have you figured out if he’s Andrew Parrish or if it’s just a coincidence? Look, I haven’t had a chance to keep reading Silver Lining but I will soon. Let me know if you need me. – xoxo Lexi

I smiled and clicked reply.

Hey. Thanks. I’m okay. Yeah, Andrew was there. He helped me find her. I don’t know if we’re dating, to be honest. He’s having dinner with me tonight at my neighbor’s house, though. Maybe something’ll happen. As for if he’s the legit Andrew Parrish, I don’t know. He certainly acts like him…. Take your time reading it. I’ll talk to you later. – Rose

After pressing send, I opened Microsoft Word and got comfortable.