Where Is Your Boy Tonight

13

"Saturday night, it's The Pitt again..." Maddie said scribbling in the planner she had laid out on the kitchen table. "Sunday is Matt's party..."

"What are you two up to?" Her mom asked, coming into the kitchen.

"We've started keeping a schedule of the guys shows. They are getting popular", Maddie answered smirking at Patrick.

"We're not that popular", Patrick countered. "We've got a couple of shows coming up and Maddie, who we've deemed 'The Manager', decided we needed it all written down in one place."

"Oh, Patrick, don't be modest!" Maddie teased, twisting his truckers cap around sideways.

"Maddie has always loved organizing and planning", her mom said. "Her uncle used to have her help out in his office because she was so good at it."

"I wouldn't say I was good, Uncle Mike was just terrible at it", Maddie laughed.

"Maybe we should take a break from band stuff to actually do the science project we have due in a few days" Patrick suggested.

Maddie rolled her eyes, "I don't wanna."

"Well I wanna! My parents said no more band of I fail any classes and since this project is fifty percent of our grade..." Patrick tried persuading her.

"Well, I guess since you put it that way..." Maddie said, pushing the planner alway and pulling her science book in front of her.

She and Patrick worked for a couple of hours before his dad came to pick him up. They made plans to finish the project tomorrow after practice and Maddie headed upstairs to her room. When she walked in she saw a light flashing through her window. She laughed and picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"You know I have my own phone, right? I've told you a million times you don't have to flash a light into my window, just call!" Maddie told Pete.

Pete laughed, "it's more fun this way!" He sounded like he was in a good mood and Maddie was glad. The funk he was in after their pizza party for two lasted a few days. Maddie liked hanging out with him but he just wasn't himself when he was down.

"So who's turn is it?" Maddie asked, laying down on her bed. Like she had told Pete, their game of twenty questions had turned into a million questions. They played whenever they thought of new questions or didn't have much else to talk about.

"Mine! If you could visit any city, money not a problem, where would you go?" Pete asked.

"Paris" Maddie answered without hesitation. "I've always wanted to go there, see the Louvre, eat local real French food, see if I can speak to the locals in my high school level French..."

Pete laughed, "I'm going to take you one day, then. When the band is famous."

Maddie took a turn to laugh, "promise?"

"Swear", Pete said. They were silent for a moment before Maddie asked him the same question. "I don't know. I think L.A., it's where everything happens."

They talked for a while longer before Pete said there was something he needed to tell her. Maddie was silent, waiting for him to continue. "Jeanie is coming to practice tomorrow." When Maddie didn't answer Pete continued, "she's been going to AA meetings and is clean. She's much nicer when she's clean." Pete sounded like he was trying to convince himself and Maddie at the same time.

"Pete, I can't tell you how to live your life, but, I think you're making a mistake."

Pete didn't say anything for a while. "Mad, you're opinion is so important to me... Please give her one more chance."

Maddie didn't want to, but she agreed. She and Pete hung up and she rolled over to stare at the wall. She was really dreading practice tomorrow now.

"Chill out, you're making me nervous", Joe told Maddie as they walked across the street to Pete's house.

"I can't help it!" Maddie whined, "the last time I saw Jeanie she basically accused me of trying to steal her boyfriend. I don't like her."

"Maybe she will be different this time. I mean she's never tried to get her life straight as far as I know", Patrick pointed out. He was so optimistic sometimes it made Maddie sick.

They walked into the garage to see Pete and Andy messing with their instruments and Jeanie sitting on the old worn couch. Maddie walked over and took her spot. She glanced at Jeanie who was staring at her smiling.

"Hi" she said. Maddie was a little shocked and had to stop herself from looking behind her to see if Jeanie had been talking to someone else.

"Hi" Maddie replied. They left it at that and faced the guys. They didn't speak again until practice was over, which was fine with Maddie. At least she watched the guys and tried to pretend interested in what they were playing this time.

"So, I wanted to talk to you" Jeanie said as the guys were packing up. Maddie nodded, scared she wouldn't be able to speak anything other than a squeak. "I'm sorry about how I was before. I'm really trying to get my life on track. Pete explained how you guys are just friends, that he doesn't like you like that, ya know?" Maddie nodded again. She felt a weird flutter in her stomach when Jeanie said that.

"I don't mind you guys being friends."

Maddie was a little annoyed at that statement, she didn't need her permission to be friends with Pete, but decided to let it go. "Ok." She wasn't sure what else to say.

Jeanie smiled at her and walked over to Pete.

"You OK?" Patrick asked. Maddie smiled and nodded at him, "a little weirded out but OK."

Patrick smiled and rubbed her arm. She heard Jeanie asking Pete what they were doing for the evening so Maddie took that as her signal to exit. "Don't forget guys, you have a show Saturday." They thanked her and she gave Patrick and Joe hugs before giving Andy a high five and a wave to Pete.

"How does she know your schedule?" Maddie heard Jeanie ask as she left. She wanted to hang around to hear Pete's answer but didn't want to be weird since she had said good-bye. She decided she would call him later and ask.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much to everyone subscribing, commenting and recommending! It motivates me to write more when I know other people are enjoying the story too.