Where Is Your Boy Tonight

14

Thursday evening rolled around and Patrick and Maddie were rushing to finish their science project.

"I'm sorry, Trick, we should have finished it the other night after practice like we were supposed to", Maddie apologized as she erased a line on the poster she writing on.

"It's ok, it was a stressful night for you", Patrick answered, "but next time I'm picking Joe as my partner." They both laughed, knowing that would be worse. "I feel sorry for his partner." Maddie said, finally getting the wording right on the page. Patrick agreed.

"Are you guys done giggling at my expense over there? We have a show in two days!" Joe exclaimed.

"Well the science project is due tomorrow so it wins", Maddie answered, giving him a fake glare. She turned to Patrick, "go ahead, I'll finish this part and then I can give you a ride home later so we can finish the essay." Patrick nodded at her and went to his guitar.

Maddie glanced over at Jeanie who was typing away on her cellphone. She was the first person Maddie knew her age to get one and she seemed obsessed with it. She looked over at Pete and he smiled at her. She returned it. She didn't hang out with him as much since Jeanie was back around and she missed him. Pete usually called her some nights, but it wasn't quite the same.

When practice ended she and Patrick left for her house after saying goodbye to everyone.

"You OK?" He asked as he sat down at the desk in her room. Maddie nodded back, getting comfortable in the small chair next to him. "I'm fine, just, don't make fun of me, I miss hanging out with Pete."

"I'd never make fun of you", Patrick said. "I figured that's what it was. Don't be offended, he's always like this with Jeanie."

"At least she's being nicer" Maddie added.

"Yeah, that's definitely new", Patrick agreed.

They stayed silent for a while, working on their paper. Patrick had called his parents once to ask to stay later and finish and they told him he had to be home by 11pm, finished or not. At 10:45pm Patrick stood up and stretched, "I think that's the best we can do."

Maddie agreed, "we better get you home before your parents hate me." They pulled on their winter coats and went out to Maddie's car. As they were getting in Pete came jogging across the yard.

"Hey, can I ride with?" Maddie and Patrick agreed and they all climbed in. Pete stayed silent for the drive to Patrick's house while Patrick and Maddie talked about upcoming school stuff.

Once they said goodbye to Patrick, Pete climbed into the front seat beside Maddie. He turned to look at her before smiling a huge smile and pulling her into a bear hug. "Hi" he said when he let her go. Maddie laughed, "you did all that to hug me and tell me hi?" Pete nodded, "I've really missed you."

Maddie felt butterflies in her stomach, "I miss you too."

They didn't say anything again until Maddie turned out of Patrick's neighborhood. "How are things going?"

"Pretty good! Jeanie seems to be sticking to her sobriety and I've been in a really good mood lately."

"Good, I'm glad."

"But I'm serious, I miss you. I want to hang out. Why don't you stay after practice anymore?"

Maddie glanced at him and then back at the road, "I just figured it would be a problem, since Jeanie didn't want me to before."

"I told you, I talked to her about it. I told her I wasn't giving up our friendship no matter what. She doesn't stay after practice either, if that's what you're thinking. She leaves when you guys leave."

"I thought you guys hung out or whatever afterward."

Pete laughed, "you thought I had her stay for sex after every practice?"

Maddie blushed at his boldness, "I don't know, maybe?"

"You're so innocent, I love that about you", Pete said when he noticed her red cheeks.

"Stop", Maddie said. Now she was embarrassed.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you", Pete said. "Honestly? Jeanie doesn't hang out because my mom doesn't like her. She's not allowed in the house when my mom isn't home. And when she is home Jeanie isn't allowed anywhere but the kitchen and living room. I guess she's pissed my mom off one too many times."

"Yeah, seriously, because your mom is one of the nicest people I've ever met" Maddie said, pulling into her driveway.

"Well I wish this ride was longer" Pete said, grinning at her. "Promise you will hang out tomorrow night?"

"Promise" Maddie agreed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to note a mistake I made in the beginning. I had put that it was Maddie's (and Joe and Patrick) junior year but it's supposed to be senior. I changed it in the first chapter, I don't think it's mentioned again after that. Not a huge change but it needed noted.

And, THANK YOU for all of the love!! I'm so excited other people are enjoying the story!
Thank you to my regular commenters:
OvercastKidd
pikaponn
Lovesxchokehold