Where Is Your Boy Tonight

15

Maddie and Patrick managed to survive their science project presentation and walk away with a B. They were both happy with that. Joe and his partner got a C, which according to Joe, was higher than they expected. Now that the project was over they could concentrate on the show for Saturday and Pete's friend's party Sunday.

"I hate how cold the garage is" Maddie said. Late January in Illinois was no joke. Patrick and Joe agreed as they exited the car.

"We don't have much other choice though", Joe pointed out.

"We will just have to work on getting you more popular so maybe we can practice somewhere warmer, like say a recording studio", Maddie said with a laugh.

"That would be everything I've ever wanted", Joe said, putting an arm around her shoulders. "I can see it now..." He began, staring off into space.

"You can see what now?" Andy asked as they walked into the garage.

"We're talking about when we are rich and famous" Joe said excitedly. Andy rolled his eyes and began tinkering with his drums.

"Where's Jeanie?" Maddie asked, noticing her spot empty on the couch.

"She, uh, was going out with friends", Pete muttered. Maddie looked at him and nodded but didn't say anything. She wondered if this would affect her sobriety.

When practice ended the guys made plans about where to meet the following evening, and who would pick up whom. They went with the plan from last time, Maddie would ride with Pete and Andy in Andy's van with the equipment and Joe and Patrick would ride together since they had a curfew and lived near each other. Once they rest of the guys left Maddie followed Pete inside.

"I may have to start sitting in here during practice, the garage is too cold!" Maddie exclaimed. She walked over and stood in front of the fireplace in Pete's living room and rubbed her hands together.

Pete laughed and walked over. He wrapped his arms around her and rubbed them up and down to warm her. "I have extra space heaters, all you had to do was ask."

"Why don't you use them?" Maddie asked, looking at him like he was crazy.

"Well, we're jumped around a lot so we stay warm with just one. But if you need it we can use them. I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind, Mad." Maddie smiled at him and thanked him.

Once she was warmed up they ordered a pizza and went to Pete's room. She felt a little weird about sitting in Pete's bed, sure Jeanie would be mad if she found out. She decided she should sit on the second twin bed.

"What are you doing?"

"I don't think Jeanie would like me sitting in your bed."

Pete laughed and shook his head at her, "we're not doing anything wrong. Get over here."

Maddie blushed and went to sit by Pete. When she did he wrapped his arms around her in a hug, pulling her close, and buried his face in her hair. "Relax, Mad. I'm serious, I really have missed hanging out with you."

Maddie thought he was acting weird but tried to relax. She was sure Jeanie would claw her eyes out if she knew she was here. Pete released the hug when it seemed like Maddie relaxed. She grabbed a slice of pizza and began eating.

"Are you excited for your friend's party Sunday?" Maddie asked in between bites.

"Yes and no", Pete answered honestly. "I'm excited because we get to play but I'm not really excited for you to be around those guys."

Maddie stopped in the middle of a bite before scrunching her face at him, "whys that?"

"Because you're so...", Pete stalled for the words, "fresh."

"What's that mean?"

"You're young, innocent, pretty, and new", he explained, "they will eat you alive."

"Ok seriously, I'm not as innocent as you think I am!"

Pete cocked at eye brow at her and smirked.

"I'm not! And I'm not pretty, I'm a total tomboy and I am built like a boy. I may be new but I don't talk to anyone except you guys and Sarah so they should get the hint pretty quickly when I'm ignoring these people, whoever they are", Maddie ranted, her pizza forgotten.

Pete shook his head and laughed, "you have a totally skewed view of yourself."

Maddie crossed her arms and huffed, sitting back against the headboard.

"Aww, Mad, I didn't mean to make you mad", Pete said, still smirking. "I'm serious though. When we go please don't take a drink or anything anyone at the party offers you, even the girls."

"What about Jeanie, aren't you worried about her?"

Pete nodded, "but for a totally different reason. These are Jeanie's people, not mine. I only know them through her. It will be a true test to her staying clean."

Maddie chewed her bottom lip, "do you think she can do it?"

"I honestly have no idea", Pete answered.

They sat eating their pizza for a while before Maddie excused herself to go home. She was tired and didn't want to fall asleep there again, especially since Pete's parents were home. She stood and hugged Pete goodbye before going downstairs. When she got almost to the front door Dale stopped her and gave her a hug.

"I want to thank you, Maddie", Dale said after releasing her. "You have no idea how much of a good influence you have been to Pete. I'm really glad you guys are friends."

Maddie felt awkward again for the third time that night, "you're welcome? I mean I'm glad we're friends too..."

Dale laughed and told her to have a good night.

When Maddie got in her room she flashed the light at Pete's window twice to let him know she was home. He flashed back once to let her know he saw. She climbed into bed with every intention of going to sleep but she lay awake for quite some time trying to process the mystery that was Pete.