Where Is Your Boy Tonight

16

Saturday night's show at the Pitt had gone really well. The guys actually had some people return from the last time they played there. They had a larger crowd this time, though still only about forty people, they were happy. Maddie had gone and stood in the front again, she remember how Patrick had said it calmed his nerves to see a familiar face. Pete watched her too, but not as much as last time. She could see his confidence growing each time they performed. She hoped Patrick would relax more with each show as well.

Jeanie hadn't come. She claimed being in a place with a bar was too much for her. Joe pointed out that she was just telling them about how she had been out dancing Friday with friends at a new club and, he wasn't an expert on clubs, but didn't it have a bar? She blew it off by saying she was distracted by dancing and not tempted then. Maddie kept her mouth shut about how she should be watching her boyfriend doing something he loved and that should be tempting enough to not drink.

"Madelynn you better promise us you won't be partaking in any unfit behavior", her father lectured as they finished getting ready. Maddie was going to the party at Mike's house and her parents were still going for dinner at Pete's house with his parents. Her parents were not happy to hear they were going to an older kid's party. They were not happy to find out he lived on his own without parents, they weren't happy about most of the circumstances. After begging them and maybe even some begging from Pete and Patrick, they agreed to let her go. With many stipulations attached.

"I swear I won't drink, do drugs, go near any random guys I don't know and I will stay beside Pete, Patrick, Andy or Joe at all times", Maddie said refreshing the list of dos and donts. They walked down the driveway and into Pete's.

"Behave" her father said, kissing her forehead. "Peter, I swear I will hunt you down if anything happens to her."

"DAD!"

"I swear nothing will, sir. I won't let her out of my sight" Pete promised as he climbed into the back of Andy's van.

Maddie hugged her mom and climbed in the van as her parents went inside the house. "Seriously, I have never given them a reason not to trust me", Maddie huffed.

"I get it, I'd be worried too. Hell, I am worried about you going", Pete said. He hugged her to make it seem less serious.

They each took their seats and Andy backed out of the driveway. It was about a twenty minute ride and Maddie watched the trees go by while Andy and Pete talked about who would be there.

When they arrived there weren't many people there yet and the guys set up their stuff in a corner of the basement.

"Are many people really going to show up?" Maddie asked.

"Yeah, these kinds of people don't care that Monday is a work day, if you know what I mean", Andy answered her. Maddie had recently learned he hated drugs and alcohol, so he wasn't insanely happy they were playing here. Maddie nodded at him in reply.

"Hey guys! And new girl I've never met before" said a guy coming over with a drink in his hand. He slid past the guys and stopped in front of Maddie before smiling widely at her. "What's your name?"

"She's Maddie, she's underage and not here to make new friends, Mike", Pete answered before she could. He came up behind Maddie and put an arm around her shoulders.

"Wow man, sorry. I didn't realize you like 'em young" Mike said holding his free hand up. "No disrespect."

Maddie blushed when she realized what he was implying but kept her mouth shut. This was one of the guys Pete told her not to talk to.

"I thought you and Jeanie were back together", Mike casually asked, taking a drink of whatever was in the cup.

"We are", Pete answered, "but she's Patrick's girlfriend."

"Right, right...", Mike trailed off. "Excuse me, I need a refill. Would you like anything, Maddie aka Patrick's girlfriend?"

"No thanks", Maddie answered, finding her voice. With that Mike sauntered off to greet a couple of people who just walked in.

Maddie gave Pete a look, raising her eyebrows.

"I know, but if you tell people you're Patrick's girlfriend they will leave you alone."

"Well, I better go tell my boyfriend that he's my boyfriend", Maddie said as she saw Jeanie enter the room. She quickly stepped out from under Pete's arm and went to where Patrick was checking his guitar.

"Hey" he said when she hugged him.

"Pete is telling people you're my boyfriend."

Patrick blushed red, "what?! Why?!"

"Thanks a lot!" Maddie pretended to be offended.

"No, you know I don't mean that... I mean..." Patrick fumbled for the words.

"He said its so these dopes will leave me alone", Maddie giggled at his discomfort.

"Well, I'm honored to be your fake boyfriend for the evening", Patrick laughed.

The guys and Maddie all hung around talking to each other for a while, waiting for more people to show up. Joe and Andy eventually wandered off. Maddie made sure to not leave Patrick or Pete's sides. Jeanie kept disappearing but Pete didn't go with her. Pete made a point to keep his eye on Maddie even when someone would come talk to him.

"Pete is really going to start making people think he's got a crush on MY girlfriend if he doesn't stop" Patrick whispered in her ear. They had been making jokes all evening about being boyfriend/girlfriend.

"He's nervous because my dad basically told him he would kill him if something happened to me", Maddie told him.

"Maybe, but I'm just saying, it looks weird."

"Pete's weird."

Patrick laughed, "true."

Joe came over then and told Patrick is was time to play. They left to find Andy. Not a full minute passed after they walked away before Pete was at her side.

"I told Patrick not to leave you", he said with a frustrated sigh.

"He went to find Andy. Pete, I'm ok. Thank you for looking out for me but I'm fine", Maddie said putting a hand on Pete's arm and looking into his eyes. She was trying to convey her point without getting frustrated. She was fine for a few minutes without being babysat was getting annoyed with constant attention.

Andy, Joe and Patrick walked back over then and the four of them went to where they were set up. Maddie stood in front of the guys like always. Jeanie stood off to the side with some girls who kept glancing at Maddie.

"Ok guys, we're Fall Out Boy", Pete said before they started a song of their own.

People were moving all around the small space. Some dancing, some goofing around, some stumbling from drinking. Maddie was starting to feel uncomfortable as she was being pushed back from the guys somewhat. There were a few people in front of her but Pete wasn't taking his eyes off of her so she tried to calm herself down. She looked around to get her bearings and noticed the Mike guy talking to Jeanie. Jeanie put something he gave her in her mouth before swallowing it with a sip from his cup. Maddie glanced back at Pete, knowing he hadn't seen since the angle meant looking slightly over his shoulder to see them. She smiled at him, as a drunk girl bumped hard into her shoulder, almost knocking her over.

"Ow!" Maddie exclaimed, giving the girl a mean look. The girl didn't notice though, she was too busy trying to stay upright.

"You ok?"

Maddie jumped at how close the voice was to her ear. She turned to see Mike standing by her side.

"Fine" she answered looking up to make sure Pete saw him. He did, and he was frowning at Mike.

"So, Jeanie was telling me that you and Patty boy aren't actually a couple", Mike said with a smirk. He inched closer to Maddie, making her instantly uncomfortable.

"It's new", Maddie answered side stepping to put space between them. She didn't take her eyes off of Pete.

"You say that, but I see Pete looking at you like that", he paused to point at Pete who was staring intently at them, "and I start thinking otherwise."

Maddie decided this was the time to start ignoring him. She tried walking forward to put herself back directly in arms length of the guys. Before she made it two steps Mike grabbed her arm and spun her to face him.

"Hey, I just want to talk, baby."

"Don't. Call. Me. That." Maddie said through gritted teeth and jerked her arm from his grasp. She looked to Pete to send her S.O.S. look but noticed he wasn't next to Patrick anymore. She didn't have time to search for him before Mike wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close.

"Give me a few minutes alone with you and you'll be begging me to call you that", he said in her face. He pulled her into him tighter and Maddie wanted to gag at the alcohol smell on his breath.

In a split second Maddie felt him before ripped away from her and saw Pete's fist connecting with his face. Mike was drunk enough that one hit knocked him to the floor and Pete dropped to punch him again.

"I said don't fucking touch her!" He screamed at Mike as he landed another blow.

Once Maddie was over the shock of the situation she began trying to pull Pete off of the guy. Andy ran over and helped her. Patrick and Joe were grabbing as much of their stuff as they could carry and trying to rush it outside.

"You got him?" Andy asked Maddie. She nodded and he rushed to start helping Joe and Patrick.

"Are you ok?" Pete asked pulling Maddie into a hug then holding her at arms length to check her over.

"I'm fine, lets get moving before he comes to and calls the cops", Maddie said taking Pete's hand to pull him through the crowd of drunks that had stopped to watch them fight.

They were stopped when Jeanie came into sight, standing in front of them scowling with arms crossed over he chest. "What the fuck was that, Pete?"

"Not now, Jeanie", Pete said trying to step around her. Jeanie stuck out her arm and pushed a hand against his chest to stop him.

"No, right now! Why the fuck do you do this? Are you screwing her, huh?"

Pete rolled his eyes at her, "Jeanie you're high. We'll talk about this tomorrow."

"NO!" She screamed at him. "You haven't stop staring at her all night, you won't leave her side- even when I asked you to come upstairs with me, you beat the fuck out of my friend for talking to her, you talk about her constantly..."

Maddie didn't know what to do but stare at her. This all sounded so bad coming out of Jeanie's mouth.

"You are such a fuck up, Pete. You are crazy!" Jeanie screamed.

Now Maddie was pissed, "listen! You can say whatever you want about me, I don't care. But, don't starting saying shit about Pete because you feel bad about how shitty you are as a person!" She shoved Jeanie out of the way before taking Pete's hand again and pulling him over to collect the last few items to take outside.

As they left the basement Maddie looked back to see Jeanie sitting on the floor beside Mike wiping his face with a rag where Pete had bloodied his nose.

Nobody spoke on the ride home. Andy dropped Pete and Maddie off at his driveway around eleven. Pete immediately came over and wrapped his arms tightly around Maddie. She hugged his back, exhausted from the night of insanity. She felt Pete nuzzle his face into her hair and let out a loud sigh.

"I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" Maddie asked, voice muffled by the fabric of his coat.

"About that asshole, Mike, and Jeanie. I'm sorry I let you come. I should have told you to stay home", Pete rambled.

"Pete, stop being sorry. None of that was your fault", Maddie said softly, rubbing his back.

"I've never been so pissed as when he grabbed your arm", Pete continued. "As soon as he touched you I stopped playing and dropped my bass. All I could see was red."

Maddie kissed his cheek, " nothing happened. I'm fine." She wanted him to calm down. After a moment she felt his body start to relax.

"You smell like stale cigarettes", he said to lighten the mood. Maddie giggled and agreed.

"I'm sorry if I made things difficult with Jeanie", Maddie apologized.

Pete shook his head, " don't feel bad. She was high on something and had been drinking. I knew she wouldn't stay sober. She refuses to give up her friends that enable her."

"As much fun as this is I need to go home and shower. I'm exhausted", Maddie said. She released their hug. "Good night, Pete."

Pete kissed to top of her head, "good night, Maddie."