Where Is Your Boy Tonight

17

Monday morning came quickly and it was all Maddie could do to drag herself to school. She had promised her parents she wouldn't miss because of the party the night before. So instead of sleeping in after they left, she rolled out of bed and threw on some clothes.

When she got to school she met Patrick and Joe in their usual spot. They looked as tired as she felt.

"You guys look like I feel."

Patrick rolled his eyes, "Pete is calling a meeting tonight instead of practice so that helps."

"Well, maybe. It depends on what he wants to talk about. If it's something he's passionate about we could be there all night", Joe added as they walked to their homerooms.

"He didn't tell me about a meeting", Maddie said frowning.

"He woke me up at six am to tell me android me to tell you guys", Patrick said.

"That was nice of him", Maddie laughed.

After school they met at "their" diner, where most of their important conversations happened. Everyone ordered something and waited for Pete to begin. Maddie noticed he look really horrible. She wondered if he had slept at all. He seemed tense and had purple circling his eyes. She put a hand on his forearm to see if he would calm down but he didn't even look at her.

After a few moments of sipping their drinks and looking blankly at each other Pete spoke, "I've been thinking about what went down at the party".

Everyone shifted to face him and remained silent. They knew when Pete began a speech to just listen.

"I'm going to apologize this once for Jeanie, I'm sorry. She called my house at two in the morning screaming at me. I told her never call me again and hung up on her and disconnected the phone."

Maddie noticed Andy and Joe give each other a look that said they knew this wasn't it. Pete must have caught it.

"I'm serious you guys, the band is my top priority. I, uhh, recently met someone who made me realize Jeanie wasn't worth it."

This seemed to surprise all of them and Maddie made a mental note to ask him who this person was later.

"So, I'm apologizing for that. Also, no more parties for that group of low-life junkies, yeah?" Everyone nodded, agreeing with him. "I want to know if you guys are serious about this like I am. My dad's been on my back about going back to school. He knows I lost my soccer scholarship but he thinks I could take business classes", Pete paused to laugh," I told him I'd rather make the band into something." He looked around the group at each of the other guys before finally settling on Maddie beside him. She smiled at him and she saw something in his eye brighten before he began talking again. "So, who's with me?"

Joe, Patrick and Andy all agreed enthusiastically.

"So it's official, we are starving artists", Andy laughed. They all joined in and began talking about future plans. Maddie sat quietly, smiling and agreeing when appropriate. She was excited for them.

"You're with us, right?"

Maddie looked at Pete, "me?"

"Of course. I mean you're one of us."

"Well, I mean, what do you mean?" Maddie asked, unsure of where he was going with this.

"You're going to stick with us right? Be our real manager?"

Maddie laughed, "I love you guys honestly I do. I'll help you out whenever you need."

Pete pulled her into a hug. He seemed a little happier but still had something sitting on his shoulders, Maddie could tell. She made a mental note to ask him about that later too and hugged him back.

A moment later their orders came out and everyone began eating and making plans in between bites. Pete had put an arm around Maddie's shoulders and was telling the guys about how she would go on tour with them when the bell over the diner door gave a loud ding.

"Well", an annoying voice Maddie recognized instantly trilled over their good times. "Didn't take you very long to move on, did it?"

Maddie froze in her spot and waited to see what would happen next. She couldn't believe Jeanie was going to do this in a public place.

Pete, who had started to look a little better, now looked defeated. "Jeanie, not here."

"What is it about her, Pete? Huh? What's she got that you like better than this?" Jeanie asked, gesturing to her body.

Maddie wanted to laugh but decided this wasn't the time.

"It has nothing to do with Maddie, it's how you can't stay clean. I'm tired of it."

Jeanie gave an evil laugh," I remember a time when you would drink with me! Now you're on all those medications and can't drink, so high and mighty aren't you?!"

She was yelling by the time she finished her rant and the few people in the diner were staring at them. Maddie saw Pete turning red and wondered what she was talking about when she said medications.

"Jeanie, you're embarrassing yourself. Please just leave. Don't call me, don't come to shows, just go away", Pete said through clenched teeth.

Jeanie continued laughing like a crazy woman while a manager came over and said they were all going to have to leave if this continued.

"I'm going", Jeanie told him, "but first, Pete?"

Pete looked at her but didn't say anything.

"I've been sleeping with Mike the whole time. He feels so good, he tastes like you too, only sweeter", Jeanie sneered at Pete as she said this. Finally, she turned and walked out.

Nobody knew what to do. Maddie put her hand on Pete's arm but didn't get so much as a glance from him. They all paid their bills and went to the parking lot. Andy went to work and Maddie took Patrick and Joe home before driving back to her and Pete's houses.

"Come over", Pete said barely above a whisper when they had pulled into Maddie's driveway.

Maddie nodded and shut the car off before getting out and following Pete to his house. They said hi to his mom before going up to his room. Pete laid down on his bed and Maddie wasn't sure what to do. He seemed so worn out and unhappy.

"Lay with me, please?"

Maddie nodded and tried to gracefully climb into the small bed. She laid with her back to Pete and felt him wrap an arm around her waist before pulling her tight to his chest. She felt her stomach flip flop when he nuzzled his face into her hair and sigh.

"This is the most relaxed I've been in days", he murmured before pulling her as close as possible. Maddie wasn't sure what to do so she put one arm under her head and began rubbing his arm with her free one.

"So is this really the end of you and Jeanie?" She asked quietly. She had so many questions for him but now didn't seem like the time to ask.

"I swear it is" Pete said nuzzling into her neck. "Are you cold?" He was tired now and could barely keep his eyes open.

"Maybe a little", Maddie said blushing slightly. She didn't want to tell him the goose bumps on her skin were from when his lips brushed her neck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry to take so long to get this out guys! I've had a busy week. This is also a short chapter because I didn't want to make it super long. The next one will be longer.