Where Is Your Boy Tonight

19

A couple of weeks had passed and things were still awkward between Maddie and Pete. They were talking, just not like normal. They didn't hang out after practice or at all, unless they were all together in a group. Maddie was annoyed and hurt. She missed Pete but she didn't want to make him angry again so she was trying to keep her distance.

Pete was a wreck. He didn't let it show when he was with any of the guys. Really the only people that knew were his parents. Pete was getting tired of them wanting to talk about feeling; their feelings, his feelings, the doctors feelings... It was all too much. Pete couldn't stand the thought of Maddie wanting to do the same so he was trying to avoid being alone with her. It seemed like she hadn't said anything to the guys about it, which he was thankful for.

Patrick, being the closest to Maddie other than Pete, really picked up on how awkward they were. But whenever he brought it up Maddie changed the subject. He made sure she knew he was there if she wanted to talk. Maddie was grateful for that.

On a happier note, the guys had recorded an EP and were sending it around to record labels. They hadn't heard back from one yet, but they were gaining a fan base around where they lived. They played The Pit often and the crowd was a bit larger each time.

This particular Saturday they were lounged around Pete's living room watching cartoons and eating cereal. They decided to take the morning to hang out and have fun, like normal teenagers. They were meeting Sarah and one of her friends at the mall later to see what else they could get into.

A commercial came on for a local dress shop, advertising prom gowns. Maddie stopped eating to admire the dresses.

"You planning to go to prom, Mad?" Joe asked when he noticed.

"Don't you think it would be fun?" She asked.

The guys laughed. "We're not really the prom type", Andy added.

"I'm not either but it's one of those high school rituals", she pressed. "You know, where if you don't do it you will look back and say 'why didn't I just go have fun with my friends?' Wouldn't it be cool to get all dressed up and go dance and stuff?"

The guys looked at her like she had two heads.

"Fine jerks, I guess I'll go alone", Maddie said.

"No, I'll go. I mean, like would you go with me?" Patrick asked.

Joe turned and looked at Patrick like he had two heads now, "really?"

Patrick nodded, "yeah like Mad said, could be fun!"

Maddie laughed, "of course I'll be your date, Trick."

"Well if you guys are going I want to go", Joe said.

"You can ask Sarah", Maddie told him. She noticed the look of jealousy that traced across Patrick's face. Maddie knew he liked her, she felt bad for suggesting Joe ask her but it was too late now.

"What about me?" Pete asked.

"Dude, you're not even in high school anymore", Andy pointed out.

"Yeah, but I didn't get to go when I was in high school."

"Sarah is bringing a friend today, she said she goes to our school, maybe she doesn't have a date yet", Maddie said. She was starting to think this was getting out of control. She shouldn't have said anything in the first place. Pete nodded.

Once they met up with Sarah and her friend Marie, who they discovered had homeroom with Joe, it was agreed they would all go to prom together. They decided to go more as a group than anything else but would have to arrange it so Pete and Sarah had a "date" that went to the school.

"You realize prom is only two weeks away, right?" Marie asked.

"Honestly? I didn't know it was that soon", Maddie said. "We just decided this morning we were going."

"Why don't you guys go look at tuxes while we go dress shopping?" Marie asked. Everyone agreed and they decided to meet back in the food court in two hours.

After an hour and a half Maddie was starting to loose hope. Marie had found a deep red, strapless, floor length gown that look great with her dark brown hair. Sarah had found a ruffley yellow dress that had a sweetheart neckline and also came to the floor. Maddie was still searching.

"I look terrible in everything!" She whined, model what seemed to be the millionth wrong dress.

"You do not!" Marie exclaimed. "Try a few more, please?"

"This one will be perfect", Sarah said rushing over with a black dress.

Maddie tried it on and walked out, "guys?"

"That's the one!" Marie exclaimed. Sarah nodded in agreement. It was a floor length black gown with a full skirt. Around the bottom was a thick white strip. The same stripe was mirrored on the strapless neckline and a small white bow sat at the end of a line of satin buttons just above where her butt began.

They were a few minutes late to meet the guys but it didn't matter, they were sitting at a large table eating when the girls walked up.

"So, let's see the dresses!" Joe exclaimed when they walked up.

"No way, it's a surprise", Maddie teased.

"Come on it's not a wedding. Plus I'm not even going", Andy pointed out.

"Well I'll show you later", Maddie said laying the covered dress carefully across a chair. She sat down beside Pete and smiled at him. Normally she would have started eating his fries but wasn't sure if she should. He saw her look at them and pushed them toward her.

"So, how long have you guys been dating?" Marie asked.

Maddie knew her cheeks were a shade of pink, "we're not... we're just friends."

"Oh!" Marie exclaimed, eyes wide. "I'm sorry, I just thought, because, never mind."

Joe laughed at her and she smacked his arm, "imagine what they're like when they're not fighting if you thought they were together now."

"We're not fighting", Pete said looking at Joe.

"Maybe not fighting, but something is definitely up with you two", Andy commented.

Maddie glanced at Patrick. She had explained to him, very vaguely, what was going on and Patrick and Pete were close enough that he had some idea of what Pete was going through. She was asking him with her eyes to diffuse this, call off the hounds.

"Well I'm sure if there was a problem they would tell us", he said getting Maddie's hint.

Maddie agreed with him and hoped everyone would believe her. Pete cleared his throat and scooted closer to Maddie. Apparently the guys knew something was going on, they hadn't been hiding it well.

The next two weeks were pretty normal, school during the week and shows on the weekend. Marie had started sitting with them at lunch and Maddie could tell Joe really liked her. Joe had officially asked Marie to prom and Maddie finally convinced Patrick to go with Sarah. He kept apologizing for bailing on her but Maddie swore to him she would be fine going with Pete. She knew Patrick liked Sarah and she wanted them to go together.

Maddie, Marie and Sarah had all just returned to Maddie's house to finish getting ready for prom after having their hair done. Marie was doing all of their makeup and the guys would meet them there.

"Patrick isn't going to be so sorry he ditched me when he sees you", Maddie told Sarah with a laugh.

Sarah blushed slightly, "yeah, I like him but he's so shy! He won't hardly talk to me."

"Maybe you should make the first move then", Marie suggested as she finished Maddie's eyeshadow.

"Maybe I will", Sarah agreed as she slipped on her heels.

"I can't believe you're wearing tennis shoes with that dress!" Marie said to Maddie as she slipped on black chucks.

"I don't think I can walk around all night in heels like you guys can!"

"Girls, the guys are here!" Maddie's mom called up the steps.

Maddie's mom had decided she was going to have the girls come down one at a time so she could take pictures with their dates to send their parents and then she wanted pictures of them all together. Maddie complained they would miss prom if they took so many pictures.

"Marie, you first sweetie!"

Maddie waited until Sarah went down before checking her make up and hair again. She didn't know why she was nervous, it wasn't like she didn't know these people. Maybe it was because she still wasn't sure if Pete was still mad at her. On top of that she had on a dress, which normally didn't happen.

"Madelynn!" Her mom called.

Maddie came down the stairs and saw Pete standing at the bottom in a black tux, black shirt and white tie. He looked up at her and his eyes widened and his mouth dropped open slightly. She took that as a good sign, he didn't turn and run at least. She smiled and him and repeated 'don't trip' in her head with each step. When she got to the bottom he walked over and hugged her.

"You look great" he whispered in her ear before letting go.

"You too" she said back, grinning like crazy. Maybe they would be able to put the awkwardness behind them for one night.

"Ok, smile" her mom said causing Pete and Maddie both to jump slightly. They had almost sort of forgotten they weren't standing there alone. Pete put his arm around her and pulled her in close for the picture.

After a few more pictures Maddie begged her mom to stop so they could leave. The girls climbed as gracefully as they could into the back of the limo. Maddie had asked the guys not to get a limo; it was expensive and seemed over the top. But as Joe had put it- go big or go home. When they were seated Pete scooted close to Maddie and put his arm over her shoulders.

"I'm serious, you look amazing, Princess" he whispered close to her ear.

Maddie's heart flipped at the nickname. She was glad he seemed to be in a good mood and not mad at her anymore. "You look very handsome, Mr. Wentz", she said giving him a huge smile. Pete returned the smile and kissed her cheek before turning to answer a question Joe was asking. Marie caught her eye and smirked at her, wiggling her eyebrows.

'Tonight is going to be interesting' Maddie thought to herself as the limo pulled away from her house.