Where Is Your Boy Tonight

20

Once they arrived at the hall where prom was being held they climbed out of the limo and started making their way in. Pete took Maddie's arm and pulled her back.

"Can I talk to you before we go in?"

Maddie nodded at him and they moved out of the street and away from everyone entering the building. She shivered some. It was spring but it was still cool out and the sun had just about set. Pete pulled his jacket off and put it over her arms. Maddie caught herself breathing in his scent as she pulled her arms into the sleeves.

"I want to apologize for the last few weeks. I know I've been a jerk, and I swear to you we can hang out soon and I will answer any questions you want. Even if it makes me uncomfortable. I just want you to have a good night", Pete apologized.

"Thank you. I'm sorry I've been weird, too. I thought you didn't want to talk to me anymore because I was sticking my nose in your business", Maddie responded.

Pete pulled her into a bear hug, wrapping his arms tightly around her waist and saying "God, I've missed you."

Maddie laughed and pulled her arms tight around his neck, "I missed you too." She kissed just below his jaw before burying her face in his neck.

"You've got to stop doing that", Pete mumbled.

"What? I'm sorry, what'd I do?" Maddie asked as she pulled back from the hug to look at him.

"Nothing, don't stop doing anything", he said with a nervous laugh. "Come on, let's go see how many rules we can break before we get kicked out of prom."

Maddie laughed as she linked her arm with his and let him lead her inside.

"Come on, one more dance!" Maddie exclaimed. She could tell Pete was ready to go and so was everyone else they rode with.

"One more, then I'm ready to go", Pete said, standing and holding his hand out to her.

They had been dancing and joking around for about two hours and it wasn't late by any of their standards, but they were over the whole idea of prom.

As they stepped onto the floor the song switched to a slow one. Pete didn't waste any time wrapping his arms tightly around Maddie and pulling her close. She put her head on his shoulder with one hand under it and the other lightly on his chest.

As they danced Pete began humming the song and rubbing the lower part of her back.

"Peter Wentz, dare I say you have actually been enjoying yourself tonight?"

"I haven't had such a good night since the night you stayed over", Pete answered honestly. "You make everything more fun."

Maddie laughed but couldn't ignore the butterflies building up in her stomach at his words.

"You look so beautiful tonight, Maddie, I'm serious. I thought I was going to pass out when you came down the steps."

Maddie gave a large laugh and lifted her head to stare at him, "you're so full of it."

Pete shook his head at her, "you'll never get it will you?"

Maddie furrowed her eyebrows and frowned at him, "get what?" She asked as the song ended.

"Nothing", Pete said with a smile. "I believe that's our cue to leave", he said as a loud dance song came on.

They went back to the table where Joe, Marie, Patrick and Sarah were gathering their things. Once Maddie was wearing Pete's tux jacket again, he insisted, they all walked out to the waiting limo. Maddie, acting on a whim, put her hand into Pete's and laced their fingers together. She was sure it was the fairy tale feeling of the whole experience making her brave. In sort of a Cinderalla-ish way, it would all be over tomorrow and everything would be back to normal. She didn't want to think too much about it, she wanted to hold her date's hand as she left prom so she did.

Pete's hand squeezed hers and he didn't let go until they were climbing into the limo. Maddie was sure the moment was lost but when Pete sat beside her he gently pulled her hand back into his and laid his head on her shoulder, burying his face in her loose hair.

"Hey lovebirds, you guys hungry?" Marie asked, grinning at them like a crazy woman.

"I'm not really, just tired" Maddie answered truthfully. "Are you?" She asked to Pete, "if you are I'll be ok to go get food."

Pete lifted his head and shook it, "nah, I'd like to get some sleep."

"Uh huh, I'm sure you're going to go home and sleep", Joe joked.

"Dang guys, leave them alone", Patrick said. Maddie noticed he and Sarah were holding hands and looking cozy.

the limo driver dropped Pete and Maddie off at her driveway before taking the rest to get food somewhere. After they had driven out of sight Pete took Maddie's hand and pulled her lightly into him, causing her to giggle.

"I'm not tired", Pete declared.

"Are you ever really?" Maddie asked.

"No", he said grinning. "You up for that talk?"

Maddie nodded and followed Pete quietly over to his house. They tip toed up the stairs to his room and had just shut the door when Maddie realized she didn't have anything to wear other than her dress.

"I'll lend you some clothes", Pete said pulling a t-shirt and gym shorts out of a drawer. Maddie thanked him and stood waiting for him to exit the room so she could change.

When he didn't seem to get it Maddie stepped into his bathroom and put the clothes on before walking back out and draping her dress over the second twin bed.

"You can keep those", Pete said as he watched her, "they look better on you anyway."

Maddie smiled and climbed into the bed beside him. Once she was comfortable she turned and face him. Given the size of the bed, their faces were only inches apart. She studied Pete's features, taking them all in and commiting them to memory.

"Do I have a booger?"

"No, why?"

"You're staring at me."

"Did you ever think maybe you're worth staring at?" Maddie asked and blushed immediately at her words.

"No."

'Maddie decided to change the subject and jumped right in, "so tell me about you. What is going on? Tell me every single thing."

Pete sighed but began, " for as long as I can remember my mind has worked different. I have days where I'm super pumped and everything seems awesome, those are my best days even if I'm hyped up. Then some days everything just, it just fucking sucks. And I can't make sense of anything, I feel alone even when there are a million people there. My mind never shuts off. It's always going, that makes me not be able to sleep."

Maddie watched his eyes while he spoke. She could see the waves of emotions flowing through them with his words. She couldn't help herself but to reach up and run her thumb across his cheek, hoping it would soothe him. She wanted his to be comfortable with her, but didn't want him to feel like he had to force it.

"So about six months ago my parents told me they wanted me to start seeing a doctor. They have been talking to me a lot. Just recently they've diagnosed it as bi-polar, and they want me to take medication. I don't like the way it makes me feel."

Maddie wasn't sure what to say. She wrapped her arms around Pete and pulled herself closer. She buried her head in the spot between his chin and chest.

"Do you think I'm crazy?" Pete asked moving his arms lazily around her.

"No. I think you're amazing", Maddie answered honestly.

Pete scoffed.

"I do. You're stronger than you realize. I will always be here for you, I promise. Please don't feel alone. If you want to talk we can talk, if you just want me to sit with you I can do that too", Maddie tried to sound as sincere as possible. She wanted Pete to know in his heart she was serious. She placed a light kiss to his throat as if the seal her words in.

"You have no idea what kisses on the neck by your best friend does", Pete whispered.

"I'm sorry, I'll stop if it bothers you", Maddie said with a yawn. Her eyelids were getting heavy.

"I didn't say I didn't like it."

"Mmm?" Maddie hummed almost completely asleep now.

"I love it", Pete said barely loud enough for himself to hear before closing his eyes and falling into a deep sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you Lovesxchokehold, pikaponn, and OvercastKidd for commenting! You guys always make me want to get updates out sooner!