Where Is Your Boy Tonight

21

Maddie woke up and stretch before realizing she had the whole bed to herself. She still felt awkward about sleeping over, especially since she had promised her mom she would only sleep in the spare bed. She sat up and look at the clock, ten am. Maddie's eye stretched wide, realizing how late she had slept. She looked and saw the bathroom door closed and could hear Pete talking. She stretched again and snuggled back into the warm bed, waiting for him to come out.

"Yeah, yeah, sounds great" Pete was saying as he walked out of the bathroom on his phone. "Awesome, thanks!"

Maddie sat up and stared at him.

Pete stood in the middle of the doorway grinning at her.

"Are you going to keep staring at me or tell me what's going on?" Maddie asked

"A guy from a record label liked our songs, he's coming to The Pit next weekend to see us play", Pete told her.

"That's awesome!" Maddie yelled jumping out of the bed and running over to hug him.

Pete lifted her in the air laughing and twirled them around the room a couple of times.

"Call the guys!" Maddie said when he put her down.

"I want to tell them in person."

"Then call them and tell them to get over here!"

"Ok, how about you go home and get cleaned up and we will meet them out for breakfast and I'll tell them", Pete bargained.

"Do I look that bad?!" Maddie exclaimed.

Pete laughed, "no but if you show up in my clothes or your prom dress they will want to know what's going on."

"Oh, OH!" Maddie exclaimed, realizing what he was implying. "Good idea, I'll be back in twenty."

Maddie and Pete were the first ones at the diner. They sat impatiently waiting for the guys to all show up. Andy was first, coming in from his overnight shift at work. Then Joe and Patrick showed up.

"You guys look like crap", Pete said bluntly.

"We were out with our lady friends until very late. So you better have an awesome reason for calling us here so early", Joe said with a scowl.

"Joe, my dear, it's pushing noon", Maddie pointed out.

Joe just stuck his tongue out at her.

"Ok, so. The reason I called you guys", Pete began before pausing to glance at Maddie who was grinning at them like a mad woman, "a guy from Fuled By Ramen liked our EP." He let it sink in for a moment before continuing, "he is coming to see us at The Pit Saturday and if he likes us, talk about a record deal!"

"Wait, seriously?" Patrick asked.

Maddie and Pete both nodded.

"Holy shit! Hell yeah!" Joe exclaimed, jumping up and hugging Maddie. His sleepiness was forgotten.

They all hugged and cheered before settling down and getting deep into discussion about what songs to play, what order and so on. Maddie gave input when asked, but otherwise sat and watched them enjoy their excitement. Pete looked over at her and gave her one of his famous smiles before taking her hand and lacing their fingers together. Maddie smiled back at him while trying to settle the butterflies.

'Stop it, it's just Pete. Don't make this weird', she thought to herself. But when he started tracing circles on her thumb with his own the butterflies multiplied.

When they finished eating Andy excused himself to go home and go to bed. He promised he would be over that evening so they could work on some new songs. Apparently Pete had been turning the papers with random lines and thoughts that adorn his bedroom walls into actual songs.

"Mad, want to come to a movie with us?" Patrick asked.

"Yeah, sure!" Maddie answered. She looked to Pete to see what his answer was.

"I actually have some stuff running through my head, I want to get it on paper..." Pete muttered, distracted.

Maddie nodded, she understood and so did Joe and Patrick. She hoped in the car with them and Pete climbed into his own.

After the movie they were headed to Pete's. When they got there Pete met them in the driveway.

"Hey guys, I need to talk to Mad real quick", he said stuffing his hands into his hoodie pockets.

Joe and Patrick didn't say anything, just walked inside to where Andy was sitting and reading something.

"So, I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but can you sit out of practice until next Saturday?" Pete asked when they were alone.

Maddie was sure her mouth was going to hit the pavement, " um, I mean, ok?"

"It's not anything bad, I just, well, I want you to be surprised. We're playing some new stuff", Pete began.

Maddie tried not to be hurt, "if it's what you want, sure." She turned to walk home but Pete caught her arm.

"Hey, you'll come over afterward?"

Maddie smirked at him, "I'll think about it."

Pete laughed and pulled her into a hug. Maddie nuzzled her face into his neck before placing a light kiss in the same spot. She pulled out of the hug but Pete stopped her by placing a hand on the side of her face.

"I'm sorry."

"For?"

"Kicking you out of practice."

Maddie laughed and promised she would see him later. She walked back to her house.

"Hey, sweetie", her mom called as she walked in.

"Hey, mom", Maddie replied, walking into the kitchen. "That smells awesome!"

"Thanks, I'm trying one of your grandmother's chicken recipes. How is everything? I'm assuming you stayed at Pete's last night?"

Maddie nodded. She began talking to her mom about everything happening lately. She felt like she was busier than her parents, if that was even possible. After eating dinner with her parents she excused herself to go work on homework. She decided since she had some time she'd catch up on some papers that would be due soon.

About 9 pm she peaked out her bedroom window and saw they guys were all still there. She smiled to herself, knowing how excited they must be and felt her heart swell for them. She was nervous for them, but mostly excited because she knew this record guy would be stupid not to take them. She laid down on her bed, meaning to just rest for a minute, but ending up falling asleep. She woke up about 11:30. She could have sworn she heard a noise that woke her up. She looked around her room, nothing unusual. The only light coming from her lamp she forgot to turn off. Then she saw a shadow go across her wall and a tapping noise at her window. Maddie crept over and pulled the curtain back just enough to peak out only to see Pete about to tap on her window again.

"How on earth did you get up here?!" She exclaimed quietly once she got the window open.

Pete laughed, "I'm a good climber I guess. Come sit with me out here."

Maddie nodded before going and pulling the blanket off her bed and stepping out the window. She walked to the side of the dormer where Pete stood and sat down, opening the blanket so he could get in. He sat beside her and scooted until their sides touched and pulled the blanket tight around them.

"How did practice go?" Maddie asked, resting her head on his shoulder and yawning.

"Good, really good actually. The guys just left about five minutes ago", Pete answered, wrapping the arm he wasn't using to hold the blanket shut around her waist.

"Good", Maddie stated. "What songs did you guys decide on?"

"Some old, some new, one for you..." Pete said trailing off.

Maddie sat up and looked at him, "one for me?!"

Pete smiled and nodded, "yeah. I've been working on it for a while, the guys helped me fine tune it today."

"Well, sing it to me."

Pete gave a hearty laugh, "Patrick is the singer, I'll let him sing it to you."

Maddie laid her head back on his shoulder, "you don't give yourself enough credit, you know that?"

Pete took her free hand and pulled it into his own, "I'm working on it."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, I have an idea of how the rest of this story is going to go. There are only going to be a handful of chapters left, BUT, I have a sequel started in my head :)

Thank you again to everyone commenting, it makes me so happy to see other people enjoying this!