Where Is Your Boy Tonight

24

Pete told their families at dinner that they were dating. His parents were thrilled. Dale pulled her aside later on to let her know she was also glad it was her and not Jeanie. Maddie's weren't elated, they thought thought the five year age gap was too much at this age, but they were happy Maddie and Pete were happy. Maddie's mom did make it very clear the slumber parties were over with.

The meeting for the record label, Maddie had been told, went very well. After some tweaking by Mr. Wentz and some stipulations from Joe and Patrick's parents, they all came to an agreement. The head of the company would be coming into town soon and bringing a contract for them to sign. They were set to leave on a promotional tour two days after graduation and to start recording at some point in that time frame. Maddie was a little shocked it would happen so soon, graduation was only a couple of weeks away. The guys had asked about bringing her along, but were turned down. The record company didn't want the additional liability or responsibility. Maddie understood. She had to tell the guys something anyway and that made it easier.

They were all currently sitting around Pete's garage since it was warm enough out. Maddie sat curled up on the couch resting against Pete, who had an arm around her. he was absentmindedly rubbing circles on her arm.

"So what are you two going to do when we leave in a couple of weeks?" Joe asked.

"What do you mean?" Pete asked.

"Well, I've already talked to Marie about this. We're going to make it work, ya know, long distance stuff."

Maddie looked at Pete, she never even thought about it.

"I never thought about it", Pete voiced what she was thinking. Maddie agreed.

"What about you and Sarah?" Andy asked Patrick.

"We haven't really talked about it", he said with a shrug. "She did mention she was going away to college though."

"I can't believe I'm being the responsible one", Joe said shaking his head.

"That's why I don't have a girlfriend", Andy chimed in.

"Uh huh, I'm sure that's why", Pete laughed.

They all got a chuckle in at Andy's expense before Maddie spoke up, "actually I did want to talk to all of you about something." She got nervous when they all turned to face her. "My uncle offered me a job at his company when I graduate. I would be moving back to North Carolina."

"You told him no, right? You're supposed to come with us", Pete said.

"That's the thing, I didn't tell him yes or no. Also, the record company said I couldn't come."

"We're working on that", Pete said turning to face her. "We're taking you with us."

Maddie glanced at the guys, they all stared back at her. "I don't know if I want to."

Maddie looked back at Pete and instantly wished she hadn't. He looked hurt and angry.

"Why not, Mad?" Patrick asked. Maddie silently thanked him for being so cool and calm.

"Hear me out", she began, directed at Pete. "So for starters the record company said no." Pete opened his mouth but Maddie held up a hand, asking him to let her finish. "Plus, there isn't much around here for me if you guys leave. My parents work all the time. If I go back to North Carolina I get to be around my family. I don't plan to go to college so I need to learn some kind of skill. It's not that I don't want to spend months on end in Andy's stinky van with smelly un-showered men", this earn some smiles from everyone but Pete, "it's that I don't want to just be along to hang on your coat tails."

Everyone was quiet for a while before Andy spoke first, "you know we would love to have you there keeping track of us but I get it."

Joe and Patrick agreed and Maddie turned to Pete. He did not look like he agreed. He looked really upset. The guys picked up on it and began excusing themselves to leave. Once they were gone Maddie wasn't sure what to do, Pete just sat there silently.

"Do you want me to leave?" She asked.

Pete shook his head no before tackling her into a hug. "Don't leave me, please."

Maddie's heart broke. She expected him to be mad, maybe yell, but not this. "I'm not leaving you."

"I need you, you know that."

Maddie felt tears building in her eyes but she had to do what was best for herself too. "I know." She wrapped her arms around Pete's neck and hugged him tight. "So, what are we going to do?"

"What do you want to do?"

Maddie chewed on her bottom lip, thinking. "How about we play it by ear?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean why do we have to define it? Let's just go with what feels right as it comes our way. Why do we have to set limits and boundaries on something that's so new anyway?" Maddie hoped she was making sense.

"I get it", Pete said. "We will take it a day at a time."

Maddie nodded, "exactly."

"I think we can do that", Pete said. He kissed her to seal the deal.