Where Is Your Boy Tonight

4

Maddie sat in the same spot on the old worn sofa, listening intently as the boys fine tuned a Green Day cover. This had become a routine over the last couple of days. She, Patrick and Joe would leave school just as the final bell rang and drive to her house. They would park and walk across the street where Pete and Andy were always waiting. After hellos they got right to work. Maybe because they usually only had an hour or so before Joe's dad came to pick him and Patrick up, or maybe because they were just that serious, Maddie wasn't sure yet. She was sure she loved watching them. She felt like she was getting to know them just from observing them. She did know now that Andy was the same age as Pete and lived on his own with some of his friends, the reason he worked so much. Pete was dabbling with the idea of college, but really had his heart set on music. He had been in other bands, but they 'never quite worked out' as he put it. Patrick was so painfully shy but had an amazing voice, if anything Maddie knew he could make it just by singing. Joe was crazy, always crazy. He didn't stop moving while he was playing.

"What was wrong?" Pete's voice asking, breaking her from her thoughts.
"Nothing, why?"
"You had a weird look on your face, was I out of tune?" Patrick asked. Maddie smiled at him, "Patrick you sound amazing", causing him to blush. "I was just thinking about how you guys better not forget about me when you're famous", she laughed.
"You think we could be famous?!" Joe exclaimed, jumping into the air and trying to spin in a circle only to fall over when he banged into Andy's drum kit. "Not if you destroy our instruments before we make it" Andy said standing to put his shirt on. He always played in just a pair of basketball shorts. "I've got to get going guys, I have a department meeting before work."
"How do you have a department meeting when you stock shelves?" Joe asked.
Andy just shrugged and said good-bye before going out to his car.

As the guys were packing up their instruments a car horn sounded."Right on time" Joe said with a smile. He walked up to Maddie and hugged her good-bye, "don't worry I will remember you when we're famous. You can bring me my coffee!"
Maddie swatted his arm and he laughed running out the door.
"Bye Patrick!" she called to him.
"Bye Maddie, thanks."
She knew it was his way of thanking her for complimenting his voice. Maddie didn't move from her spot. Just like watching the boys practice had become routine so had staying after and watching an old movie with Pete. They surprisingly had similar taste.

"How about Goonies today?" Pete asked, waving the DVD case in the air. "Yes, sounds good" Maddie said grabbing the sodas from the fridge and putting a bag of popcorn in a small microwave. Once it was done she sat back in her spot and handed the bag to Pete who pressed play.

They made small talk through the movie and commented on what was happening. Maddie liked that about Pete, he didn't get annoyed when she talked during the movie.

"So do you guys practice on the weekend too?" Maddie asked before shoving a handful of popcorn in her mouth. "Maybe. It's kind of up in the air. If Andy has to work we mostly just hang out" Pete answered. "Oh" Maddie said passing him the almost empty popcorn bag. "You know you don't have to just come hang out when we practice, right? I was serious when I said you can come hang out whenever" Pete said turning to look at her. "That is, unless you always plan to eat all of the popcorn." Maddie gave him a shocked expression and smacked his arm, "you ate half!"
Pete laughed and tried to duck away. "But seriously. If you see my car outside come over." Maddie looked at him and nodded, then thought of something "you don't have a girlfriend that's going to kick my ass for being here do you?"
Pete laughed, "not really. I, uh, I just don't like to be alone." He added the last part almost as an after thought. Maddie nodded again, realizing this was him opening up to her. "I'm used to being alone. My parents work all the time. When we lived in North Carolina I always had my family around. Here, it's lonely."
Pete scooted closer to her, "well me and the guys are your family. Any time you want to hang out call us. But, try me first since I live like two seconds away and all."
Maddie laughed and stood as the garage door lifted, "thank you."

"Hello, Maddie!" Dale said with a smile as she walked in carrying a grocery bag, "Pete, please?"
Pete took the bag from his mom and went to get another.
"Wow, you sure grocery shop a lot" Maddie exclaimed.
"With three kids in the house and two of them being growing boys I'm surprised I can make it two days between trips!" Dale laughed. "Oh, Maddie, I spoke with your mom this morning. We're excited to have you all for dinner tomorrow night."
"Sounds great" Maddie said as she went out to grab a bag to carry in.
"You don't have to do that" Pete said.
"I've been helping you eat the food at your house, the least I can do is carry a bag in" she said with a laugh.
After they had carried in the remaining bags Maddie said her goodbyes. She got home just as her mother was pulling in the driveway.
"Hi sweetie, you been next door again?" Her mother asked, kissing her cheek.
"Yeah. They're all very nice" she replied, kissing her mom back.
"They are. I'm glad you've found a friend, too."
Maddie turned to see Pete looking out the window at her. This time she waved and he waved back before walking away.