Where Is Your Boy Tonight

5

"What do you have planned for today?" Maddie's mom asked as she checked emails at the breakfast table. Maddie swallowed the mouthful of cereal she was chewing before shrugging her shoulders, "I'm not really sure yet." "We are having dinner at the Wentz's tonight, did you know that already?" her mother paused to glance at her.
"Yes, Dale told me yesterday."
"Great, so your father and I will be home around 3 to get ready and be there at 5. We are training our design team this morning." her mom muttered more to herself than Maddie.
"Sounds, fun?" Her mom laughed, "you know me too well, huh?"

Maddie nodded and put her bowl in the sink with a yawn. She hadn't intended to be up this early but forgot to turn her alarm off.
"I'll see you this afternoon. I'm going to go take a shower then see if the guys will show me around" she said, kissing her mom's cheek. "Sounds good sweetie. Hopefully once we get a team in place we will be able to take some time to explore with you."
Maddie knew her mom meant well, but her parents were always busy. It didn't bother her much, it's just how their life was.
After her shower Maddie pulled on a pair of jeans, her vans and a hoodie. Since she wasn't rushing for school she decided to put a little extra effort into her hair and makeup. She took her time, hoping the guys would be awake soon so she could go do something.

She called Patrick first, who said he would pick up Joe and be right over. She thought about calling Pete and Andy but she knew Andy worked late at night, there was no way he was up. She didn't call Pete either, he would see her tonight and she didn't want him to get sick of her. He never said anything but she figured he wouldn't want to hang out with someone younger all the time.

"What should we do now?" Joe asked. They had been to a pop-up carnival where Patrick won her a teddy bear, and blushed a deep crimson when she hugged him and thanked him for it, and a music store where they browsed for new songs to learn.
"How about lunch? I'm starving" Maddie said.
"Me too" Patrick said, "what about Sal's?"
"What's that?" Maddie asked.
"Only the best pizza, EVER" Joe stated as Patrick pulled into a parking lot.
It wasn't busy and the guy in the shop told them have a seat where they liked. They picked seats at the counter to watch Sal tossing the pizzas as he made them.
"So, Mad. You're really fun" Joe began.
Maddie laughed, "thanks, I guess..."
"Yeah, so that being said, you like us, right?"
"Of course. I wouldn't hang out with you guys if I didn't!"
"See, Pat? I told you she liked us" Joe said. "Ouch!" He yelled biting into a slice of pizza that was just sat in front of them.
Patrick shook his head at him before carefully taking his own slice.
"You thought I didn't like you guys?" Maddie asked Patrick.
"I dunno, we just never have girls hang around" Patrick said.
"Well yes, I do. You can't get rid of me" Maddie replied, "this is REALLY good pizza!"
"Told you" Joe said, giving her a goofy smile.

When they arrived back at Maddie's house she climbed out of the car and pulled her big teddy out with her. "Bye guys! I had fun!"
She waved as they backed out and noticed Pete coming across the road.
"Hey" she greeted him with a smile when he got in the driveway.
"Hey" he replied, but didn't return the smile. "Where were you guys?"
"They took me around to show me some of the area."
"And bought you a teddy bear?" Pete asked raising an eyebrow.
Maddie laughed, "no, Patrick won it for me at the carnival."
Pete frowned, "are you guys, like, hanging out or dating or whatever?"
"No!" Maddie exclaimed and felt bad instantly. "He's a great kid, but it's not like that" she explained.
"Oh" Pete said, shoving his hands in his pockets. "Why didn't you call me? I would have taken you."
Maddie was a little surprised, "I just figured you'd be sick of me by now. You know, I didn't think you'd want to hang out with me." It sounded strange as it left her mouth.
Pete's frown deepened, "why wouldn't I?"
Maddie blushed, "I just figured because I was younger than you and stuff..." She trailed off hoping Pete would say something because now that she was saying it all out loud it sounded dumb.
When he didn't she continued, "... I don't know, maybe it was dumb to think.""You're not dumb, but that idea was" he said.
Maddie laughed. "Want to come in and hang out until time to go to your house for dinner? You can help me name my bear."
Pete finally cracked a smile, "yeah sounds good."
"How about you name him Pete? You know, since Patrick gave him to you" he suggested as he followed her into the house.
"Sounds perfect" Maddie giggled.