Where Is Your Boy Tonight

6

Pete was standing at the kitchen counter with two apples and an orange, "ok so if you toss one in the air, like this, then add the second..." Maddie tried to repeat his action but dropped her apples in the process.
"This is ridiculous!" She exclaimed searching for the fruit rolling around the floor. She looked back at Pete as he juggled his fruit perfectly, not taking his eyes off of it.
"It's not that hard, it just takes practice!"
Maddie shook her head at him before putting her collected fruit away. "I'll stick with another talent, thanks though."

"Hi sweetie, where are you?" Her mother called coming through the front door with her father.
"Kitchen!" She called.
Pete put his fruit away quickly and began tugging his shirt to straighten it and smoothing down his hair.
"Are you nervous?" Maddie asked, smirking at him.
"Shut up" he mumbled as her parents came in.
"Oh, hi! I didn't realize you were over. You're Pete, right?" Her mom said, coming over and pulling him into a hug.
"Uh, yes, I'm Pete, hi misus..." "Misus nothing" Maddie's mom cut him off, "I'm Suzan and this is my husband Mark."
"Nice to finally meet you" Maddie's father said shaking Pete's hand. "Thank you for taking our Madelynn in and becoming friends." "Dad!" Maddie exclaimed. "But seriously, she talks about you guys all the time" her father said. "DAD!" Maddie yelled, turning a bright red. "Mark, stop you're embarrassing her" Maddie's mom said. "Ok we are going to go get ready. Training ran longer than expected, we will be down in 20 minutes to go." With that they climbed the stairs to get dressed leaving Pete and Maddie alone in the kitchen.

Pete turned to her and smirked, "so you talk about us all the time?"
"Stop it" Maddie said with a smile.
"Aww, you like us!" Pete exclaimed pulling Maddie into a hug and fake crying like he won an award, "you really like us!"
"You're such a dork" she laughed, but hugged him back.

At dinner Maddie met Pete's dad, Peter; his younger brother Andrew and his older sister Hilary. Their parents got along great and were laughing together through most of dinner. Once they had eaten, the adults went to the living room to have coffee and talk more. Pete's brother and sister went off to do their own Saturday night activities which left Pete and Maddie to entertain themselves.

"Do you want to go up to my room and listen to music or something?" Pete asked as they heard a burst of laughter from the living room. "Sure, sounds like things are getting rowdy down here" Maddie joked.

Pete's room was the very top floor like Maddie's was. Since their houses were basically a mirror image of each other she had a pretty good idea of what his room looked like. When he opened the door she was taken aback. The walls were completely covered with band posters, flyers from shows and what looked like papers that Pete had written on. Her parents would have killed her if she did that. Against the one wall were two single beds with a nightstand between the two. The next wall held a closet door and a bathroom door and the front wall had a large dormer window.

Maddie walked over and looked out, confirming her suspicion. "Your window looks out directly at mine." She pointed when Pete came to join her. "Good, then I can spy on you" he said with a laugh.Maddie thought about how she had caught him peaking out at her a couple of times already and decided she needed to make sure her blinds stayed closed.
"I was joking" Pete said when she didn't laugh too.
"I know" Maddie said with a smile, "but I'm still going to make sure my blinds stay closed."
Pete's cheeks turned a slight shade of pink and Maddie felt bad for embarrassing him. "So what are these papers?" Maddie asked running a finger over the closest sheet of notebook paper taped to the walls. It had scribbled and hurried writing all over it.
"Oh, just song lyrics. Please don't read them, they're nothing good. They're not finished yet" Pete said. "Ok. I won't" she said. Normally she would have asked again to be sure but Pete seemed different when he talked about them. Almost like it hurt him to look at them.

"What kind of music are we going to listen to?"
"Morrissey?" Pete asked.
"Never heard of 'em."
"What?!" Pete asked her, shocked. "The Smiths?"
Maddie's shook her head.
"I guess I have an education to give you." Pete said sorting through a stack of records and CDs.
Maddie sat on the bed covered in clothes, the one she figured Pete didn't sleep on, "educate me then."
Pete grinned at her before putting a record on, "you might be sorry you said that."