Where Is Your Boy Tonight

8

A couple of months had passed and Maddie had fallen into a routine she was happy with. Monday through Friday she would go to school, then drive Joe and Patrick to practice. She would stay and watch, giving constructive criticism when needed, then hang out with Pete once everyone left. On Saturdays she would hang out with Joe and Patrick most of the morning, eventually meeting up with Pete. Sundays she would hang out with her parents in the morning. Most Sunday evenings they had started going to Pete's house for dinner. Apparently her parents and his really hit it off.

"Don't you ever get tired of seeing them constantly?" her mom asked her one Sunday morning over waffles and bacon. Maddie was very open with her parents, so they knew there was nothing to worry about. She was, and had proclaimed herself, "one of the guys". "Nope" she answered honestly. She really did like hanging out with them. There was no drama, no fighting- other than disagreements with band stuff, and no reason to feel like she had to be anything other than herself. Her mom just shrugged and sipped her coffee, "if you're happy I'm happy."

"If you guys are happy so am I!" her father proclaimed from behind the newspaper. Maddie laughed.

"How about for today's adventure we go meet one of our new clients?" Her father asked quickly.

"What?!" Maddie exclaimed.

"Honey, I thought we decided Sundays were for NOT working..." Maddie's mom began.

"I know, it's just that their project is moving very quickly and they don't have much free time. Maddie, they have a daughter your age. Maybe she would like to meet you", her dad said quickly.

Maddie rolled her eyes but kept quiet. She didn't really mind if they went, but she would rather she didn't have to go. Her mom look at him and sighed, a sign she was giving in. Her dad smiled at them, "be ready in twenty."

About forty minutes later they pulled up in front of a house that was under construction. Maddie noticed a man and woman standing on the front steps with a girl about her age and a little boy who was about 9. Her parents walked up and began their hellos and introduced the girls then went inside to talk.

The girl, Sarah, began speaking first, "it's cold out here. Let's go inside and I'll show you where my room is supposed to be." Maddie agreed and followed Sarah and her brother in. After a brief tour of the house, which was still so new there were areas without walls, Sarah showed her the space her room would be. She went on about the colors and decorating she had planned and Maddie decided she wasn't too bad.

"What school do you go to?" Maddie asked when she stopped talking.

"I'm actually homeschooled. That's probably why I talk so much", Sarah said with a laugh. Maddie laughed with her. They began talking about music and art. Sarah was really into some of the same stuff Maddie was. After a couple of hours they exchanged phone numbers and everyone was headed home.

"Thanks for making me come with you", Maddie told her dad, "Sarah is actually pretty cool."

Her father faked shock, "you're old dad did something cool?" Maddie laughed at him, "just don't tell anyone, I can't ruin my reputation."

When they pulled back in the driveway Pete was waiting on the porch.
"Pete what on earth?! It's cold out here!" Maddie's mom exclaimed.
"My mom asked me to come see if steaks were ok with you for dinner. It's not that bad out, I grew up here, remember?"
"Steaks are lovely." Pete smiled at her and stood up. "Mad, wanna come hang out?" Maddie nodded at him and went to follow him down the front steps.
"I guess we won't see you until dinner?" her dad asked.
"Guess so" Maddie said with a smile.

"So what have you been up to?" Pete asked as they settled into the couch in his family's living room. It was too cold outside now to hang out in the garage. "My parents took me to a job, but it ended up being ok. I made a friend", Maddie told him. Pete stopped flipping the channels to look at her, "new friend?" Maddie nodded before adding, "her name's Sarah. She's homeschooled so none of the normal girl drama." Pete just nodded.

When he stopped on a random show Maddie leaned back so her back was against Pete and he put an arm loosely around her waist. It has taken her a while to get used to how snuggly Pete always was, but now she didn't think anything of it. He always seemed to need to be touching someone. He loved to put his head on Patrick's shoulder and kiss his cheek when they had practice because Patrick became visibly uncomfortable. Maddie remembered Pete telling him one time, "good, you need to be uncomfortable so you get an idea of how uncomfortable it is to perform for a crowd." Maddie wasn't sure how truthful that was.

"What are we watching?" Maddie asked.

"Peter Pan of course" Pete said.

"Oh, I've never seen it."

Pete sat up and looked at her like she was crazy, "you've never seen Peter Pan?!" Maddie shook her head and smiled at him, "should I have?"

Pete began rambling about how it was one of the most important movies ever and how it was his favorite. Maddie just stared at him like he lost his mind.

"Ok, tonight after dinner we watch it. From beginning to end, all the way through", he decided. Maddie just nodded.

After dinner, when their parents went into the living room, Pete practically dragged Maddie up the steps to his room telling her how this movie was going to change her life. Maddie thought he was being over dramatic to sell it.

"Ok, get settled in and get comfy because you can't get up and you have to pay attention", Pete warned while putting the movie into the player and adjusting the tv.

Maddie laughed but made sure to use the bathroom and then settled into the spare bed to watch.

"What are you doing over there?"

"I don't know, you don't think it's weird for me to sit in your bed?" Maddie asked.

Pete laughed, "I think it's weird you won't." Maddie blushes slightly at his teasing and got up to sit beside him. She sat next to him with their sides touching since the bed was so small. Pete put his arm around her waist like earlier and pulled her closer. Maddie felt a weird feeling in her stomach. She didn't know why she was nervous, but it seemed weird to her to be sitting so close to him in his bed of all places.

Eventually she calmed down and watching the movie with her head on Pete's shoulder. She was getting tired but didn't dare yawn. Pete had been commenting the whole movie about what was happening. Maddie thought it was a good movie, but didn't think it was the best ever. She didn't want to hurt Pete's feelings though so she just listened to him talk. When the movie ended she did let out a big yawn and stood up.

"What did you think?"

She knew that was coming. "It was really good", she began, "but I like Breakfast Club better." She felt a pillow smack into her. She looked at Pete with a shocked expression and he grinned.

"It's on!" Maddie exclaimed, grabbing the pillow off of the other bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you @OvercastKidd for commenting and recommending!