Where Is Your Boy Tonight

9

Monday afternoon had rolled around and Maddie, Joe and Patrick were walking across the street to Pete's for practice. Maddie noticed a car parked on the curb she hadn't seen before and pointed it out.

"Good grief" Patrick said and Joe groaned loudly.

"Who is it?"

"Pete's, lady friend", Joe told her.

"I didn't know he had a girlfriend", Maddie replied. She was a little taken aback, especially since Pete had told her he didn't have one.

"He doesn't. Well, right now. As far as we know..." Patrick tried to explain.

"What Patrick is trying to say is, as of recently the devil woman, aka Jeanie, hasn't been in Pete's life. Apparently she's trying to weasel her way back."

Maddie wasn't sure what to expect as the garage door opened but she was scared. She'd never heard them speak poorly of someone like that. When they walked in Maddie saw a girl with bleach blond hair sitting in her spot. She wore a very tight and very low cut top, and despite the freezing weather, a leather mini skirt. Patrick and Joe walked to their places without saying anything. Maddie decided to be friendly since she didn't know her.

"Hi, I'm Maddie" she said smiling at her.

The girl eyed her up and down before saying, "Jeanie", and rolling her eyes away from her to stare at Pete. She crossed her arms and assumed a bored look.

Maddie widened her eyes at Patrick who shrugged and smiled back as if to say, "told ya so." Maddie sat on the opposite end of the couch and pulled a blanket around her despite wearing a hoodie and coat.

After an hour or so practice began winding down a little early. It was too cold to hang out late.

"Pete, baby, I'm bored with this", Jeanie whined.

Pete glanced over at Maddie looking embarrassed, "we're almost done."

Maddie assumed that meant she and Pete weren't hanging out today when practice was over. As the guys began putting away their instruments she stood up and folded up her blanket. "Joe, do you think your dad would mind if I gave you and Patrick a ride home?" Joe shook his head and went to use the phone to call his dad. Pete kept sending Maddie a look she couldn't decipher. She didn't have time to look into it before Jeanie was whining again.

"Petey, let's go to your room and talk", she cooed, smirking at him. "It's cold out here, you can warm me up."

"When you dress like a slut in the middle of winter you get cold" Andy casually said pulling his jacket on. Maddie's mouth dropped open. She had never heard Andy say much, let alone insult someone. Now she knew this girl was trouble.

"PETE!" Jeanie yelled, glaring at Andy and stomping into the house.

"Man, now she's going to be pissed off" Pete said turning to Andy.

Andy shrugged and said, "sorry", but didn't sound sorry at all.

Pete gave Maddie a small smile, which she tried to return, before following Jeanie inside. Maddie was shocked, he didn't even offer her an explaination or anything, just left. Maddie inwardly scolded herself, this person was around before she and Pete became friends. If Pete really liked her then spending time with her was important.

While she was having her internal struggle Patrick came over and said, "try not to take anything personal when it comes to Jeanie or how Pete acts around her. She makes everyone miserable. I assume that's why you want to drive us home?"

Maddie nodded and smiled at Patrick, "you know me so well." Patrick blushed and Joe came back outside saying he got in touch with his dad and was ready when they were. They said goodbye to Andy and went across the street to climb into Maddie's car.

When everyone was in and buckled, Maddie backed out of the driveway before saying, "ok, spill it!"

For the twenty minute ride to Joe's house they filled Maddie in on the soap opera that was Pete and Jeanie. Apparently they had dated on and off through high school and couldn't seem to get rid of each other. They were nothing but toxic. They didn't trust each other, Jeanie cheated on Pete every time they got back together and projected her insecurities onto Pete. She was always calling him to check up on him and claiming he was looking at other girls. He wasn't allowed to talk to other girls, which explained why Pete kept giving Maddie weird looks. Jeanie treated all of the guys like crap and Pete never stood up to her for it.

"So don't expect him to say anything when she starts being mean to you", Joe concluded when they pulled into his driveway. "And she WILL be mean to you, you're pretty and you hang out with Pete almost every day. If she finds that out she's going to be jealous and say some very mean stuff."

"Am I the only girl who's been around at practices?"

"When Pete was in his other band girls were around all the time. His other band mates were sleeze balls, but you know we're not like that", Patrick replied. "You're the only one at our practices. I don't know if that makes it better or worse."

Maddie waved goodbye and thanked them for filling her in. She tried to process everything they told her on the ride home. She decided it was just best to take things as they were and stay out of Jeanie's way. She and Pete were friends, but this girl obviously had some special place in Pete's heart. She would try to get along with her, if that wasn't possible she would avoid her.

Maddie heard a knock on her car window. She turned to see Pete looking at her, "you getting out?" She nodded and climbed out.

Pete looked nervous and for the first time ever, seemed at a loss for words. "I'm sorry."

"It's ok. Joe and Patrick filled me in. I don't get it but I can accept it", Maddie answered. Pete pulled her into a hug.

"I can't explain why I'm drawn to her", Pete said, still trying to explain. "I still want to hang out. The only problem is Jeanie can't find out." Maddie scrunched her eyebrows at him and frowned. "I know how that sounds, but she's really afraid I will cheat on her. She's threatened by girls that are pretty, and you are."

"Joe told me that", Maddie said, "I don't know why you all have suddenly decided I'm pretty."

Pete laughed at her and rubbed his hands over his face. "I'm kind of exhausted. Can we talk about it some more another time?"

Maddie nodded. She honestly didn't want to talk about Jeanie anymore. She figured this girl was bad news and that was all she needed to know.

Pete hugged her again before telling her goodnight. Maddie wasn't sure why but it sort of felt like it was his way of apologizing for whatever was coming her way. Like a tidal wave everyone could see but didn't know when it would crash.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you LisaLovesShadow91for recommending!