Wolf by the Ears

Chapter 1

Howling.

That's what wakes me almost every single night. It doesn't have a specific time but I know one thing: it's the same wolf howling every single night. Although for some reason something is different this time. Whether it's the length of the howling or the small vibrations in the sound waves, I just know something is different tonight.

I sit up in my big king size bed and decide to look out on the huge balcony. The view is always greater from afar, especially with such heightened senses such as mine. All that's in my sight are beautiful tall trees, fresh green grass, and a crescent moon glowing in the sky. Unfortunately for me the wolf has a louder howl than I had hoped. I sigh.

The light breeze blows my red hair out of my face and causes my light blue nightgown to flap at my knees. I take pleasure in the cool light air, lifting my face up to meet its caress. I place my hands on the stone in front of me and cock my head to the side as I listen closely to footsteps that are approaching my door. The door handle clicks and my door swings open.

Raven Danica is one of the bodyguards assigned to me for the night shift. She was a little bit taller than me- which wasn't that tall considering I was 5 feet 4 inches without high heels on- with raven black hair that she always kept in a bun. She had nice alluring yet piercing blue eyes that could tug on any man's heartstrings. Aside from being beautiful she was also one of the best well trained royal werewolves around. One of her biggest advantages is her looks because so many people assumed she wasn't strong at all. She reveled in her advantage and had protected her numerous times with that misconception. Her high cheek bones and cute little nose fooled many people except myself and the ones who had trained her.

"Don't let the howling get to you, Crystal. It's probably just a wolf trying to communicate with its pack." Raven's voice came out smooth and relaxing. It was a voice I didn't mind hearing even through countless nights of interrupted sleep.

I lifted my head to my shoulder and peaked over to see Raven standing by my bed. Her clothes all black like usual and one hand resting on her hip. She was prepared for a fight, I could tell by her stance. Although what else was a royal werewolf to expect? Times were getting hard and war was a cruel thing.

"If you listen closely you will hear the sound waves are different from that of a normal wolf. Beside that the howling isn't random, it happens every night." I replied as I turned around and tucked my hair behind my ear.

Raven cocked her head to the left. "And every other night you'll just lie in bed and go back to sleep. What makes tonight any different?" Raven asked as her blue eyes scanned my face with concern.

"I'm beginning to think its not a howl, but a warning," I admitted in a whisper.

Raven shifted in an uneasy way. "Would you like me to get more guards for you? I can put some outside the door and I can spend the night in here if it will make you feel more comfortable," Raven offered .

I let out a sigh. Everyone was so ready for violence but no one wanted to end it. I just didn't understand why or how we had gotten so use to such a life. Royals were totally different from non-royals but why did it matter? Why was there a war even started? People that I've loved gone, lost to the hands of war and what for? For blood-differences?

Raven knew I wasn't happy so she remained silent and waited for me to collect myself. I felt the anger swarming but as always I fought it.

"No Raven, I just want peace and a night's sleep with out the howling." I finally replied calmly.

"Yeah, funny how as soon as you became Princess of the pack, the howling starts and it hasn't ended since."

Was that true? I never noticed that. I just knew one night the howling started and it always returned.

My hair fell from behind my ears and I watched as a thin strip of my red hair sparkled a light amber color almost like a blonde highlight. But this color shined like a little a mirror hitting the sun. My hair didn't do that all the time but when it did I certainly stood out like a sore thumb.

"Don't get upset. Once you are queen I think changes will come. For the better." Raven's attempt to soothe me had little affect.

But I refused to show it. All I did was bring my green eyes across my room where the vanity sat in the left corner of the room. I kept my room mostly empty because I liked space. Although I wanted a few more things in my room I didn't make a request for them because I felt there were others who needed them as well. A simple chest at the end of my bed was good enough to hold my clothes and I only came here to sleep so what was the point of having so many things if I could never take the time to appreciate them?

"Thank you for checking on me Raven, I'm going to go back to listening to the howling."

Raven simply nodded her head and left me alone in my room. I stayed on the balcony listening to the howling with my eyes on the trees. Maybe I was a bit paranoid but I wanted to watch, I wanted to find the howling wolf and figure out why he was constantly howling every night. What was it he was trying to tell me? Was there something wrong? Was there going to be another attack soon?

The moon spilled a milky white light and shadows moved behind the trees. My wolf senses told me to run but I stayed put and scanned the tree line again. Then there was another shadow that moved. It moved so quickly that if I wouldn't have been focused on that area I wouldn't have seen the movement.

I sighed. It looked like peace wasn't as close as I hoped.