Status: Active

Renegade

Impossible

Impossible- Lacey Sturm

Image



Blood. Thick and warm, pooling at my feet in a puddle of death. Death was certainly imminent and I the reaper. There was only one other survivor left, and I was blood thirsty. May it be caused by the severe thirst for water, or maybe I was just insane. Hours have been spent trying to lure the last survivor of the career pack. Logan, from District 2, seventeen and lethal, but foolish. He would fall into my trap. I purposefully slit my arm, allowing my blood to stain the desert sand. Just like a shark to blood, I knew he would hunt and attack. At the edge of the desert stands an artificial yet magnificent pyramid. The perfect trap, no, tomb. Hiding in the shadows, I watched as my prey entered the cool tunnel. His heavy breathing practically giving himself away. As he steps further into the dimly lit hall, I hear metal sliding from his belt. I knew perfectly well that it was a long sword. He was skilled with a sword. I quietly pull out my throwing knives and took aim. One more step.

‘Come on Logan. You are making this too easy,’ I cackled in my mind.

“Come out Four. I know you are in here. Your blood is all over the place. I might as well end your
pathetic life,” Logan said tauntingly.

As soon as Logan turned around to where I was lurking in the shadows, I threw my knife, hitting him square in the throat with a sickening thud. His body fell backwards and blood started spurting out of his mouth. I sauntered out toward him grinning like the Cheshire cat. I knelt beside his body and clicked my tongue against my teeth.

“Now who is the weak one? You killed my partner, a young boy, my brother, who had his whole life ahead of him. How ironic that it would be I to kill you? Now, had my partner been someone else, I wouldn’t have had to be theatrical about luring you here. Now I am going to watch you die a slow and painful death,” I hissed right in his ear. I sat on the cool stone ground as his life pooled around us in a sticky puddle. It only took a few minutes until he died and soon after, the top of the pyramid opened up and the infamous hovercraft came to pick up the body and the new victor of the 69th Hunger Games.


The sun was shining through the thin pale silk curtains of the penthouse bedroom I was currently lying in. Visions of last night haunted me. The pain, the hits and the endless fucking. Nothing I wasn’t used to. You see, after I had won the 69th Hunger Games, President Snow forced me into prostitution. He had auctioned my virginity away to the highest bidder. I was seventeen. The bastard stated that many men had asked about me. He threatened to kill my family if I didn’t do what he said. As you can imagine, I was not happy, who would be? But my father didn’t raise a fool. I bargained with President Snow to receive half of whatever the men paid out or else I would expose some information I had on him. Surprisingly, he agreed. Which leads me to my current situation. A twenty-three year old victor in the bed of a thirty-five year old businessman. I sat up and flattened my chestnut brown hair. Next to the bed, crumpled on the floor was my short skirt and crop top. I bent forward to grab the garments but a firm hand pulled me back up and a pair of lips attached to my neck. I closed my eyes sighing in ecstasy. This beast. This man knew where my weak spot was. After all, he bought my virginity so many years ago and became a regular customer.

“I am half tempted to keep you in my bed another night,” he moaned into my ear. I smirked and scooted back onto the bed so my back was against the headboard and I was facing him.

“If you were, you’d have to rip up the check you just wrote and write another one for twice the amount,” I flirted as I ran my hands down his strong, bare chest.

His unnatural emerald green eyes stared deep into my ocean blues, then scanned my naked body, consuming every inch of tan flesh.

“You are worth it. Before I forget, close your eyes.”

I did as I was told and closed my eyes. It was then I felt cool metal being placed around my neck. Once it was hooked I opened my eyes and saw a beautiful teardrop shaped diamond necklace. I gasped as I ran my hand over the delicate adornment. His finger found its way under my chin and lifted my head to look into his eyes.

“Happy early twenty-third birthday, precious jewel.”

With that, he leaned in and pressed his warm, wanting lips against mine, attempting to force his tongue inside. I granted him access and he wasted no time in exploring every inch of my mouth. His hands found their way to my hips as he forced me onto my back. One hand running up and down my curves while the other slipped in between my legs.

Image

I was huddled in the corner of my room on the train screaming and crying for the fifth time that day. Mags and Finnick rushed in only to see a pathetic excuse of a girl rocking herself back and forth. Mags kneeled down next to me and ran her left hand through my hair as she pulled me in to her breast. I wrapped my arms around her and cried.
Finnick ran his hand through his golden locks and sighed.

“Maybe seeing her family will get her through this, because apparently we aren’t doing a good enough job,” he chided.

Mags shot him a death glare and shooed him out of my room. She continued to hold me and whispered soft but strangled words. I sniffled unattractively and looked up at her through blurry eyes.

“Mags please don’t speak. I know it’s hard for you. But thank you for always making me feel better,” I kissed her cheek and I helped her stand up.

This memory had to have been the worst one all day. I was reliving my brother, Leo’s death. I can still hear him screaming for me to help him while I was fighting off two tributes. Logan had pierced his sword through Leo’s stomach. Somehow I managed to kill the two I was fighting but I was too late. Leo was already dead and Logan escaped. I will never be able to hear my brother tell me he loves me, or have him barge in to mine and dad’s training sessions. My annoying, loveable baby brother…

“We are home Vee,”Finnick called from my door. Mags brushed my hair with her fingers and wiped my eyes. We walked out of the room to where the main doors were open wide. Familiar faces were cheering me on and looking up at me as if I was some kind of idol. But I didn’t care about them. I cared about finding my family. I looked to where the victor’s family was supposed to be waiting, but no one was there. I looked worriedly at Mags who only held a sad look on her face. I was led to Victor’s Village where I expected my family to be, only to be disappointed again. But there was a note taped to the door:

Dearest Vitani,

You might be wondering why your father, sister I are not there to greet you. Watching you in the Games opened our eyes to that you will not be the same when you come back. It would be very hard for us emotionally to see you in pain; on top of the pain that we already feel now that Leo is gone. As a family, I don’t think we can help you carry the burdens of a Victor. Sierra wanted to come see you, but we didn’t know how…..stable you’d be. I do hope you will find peace during this dark time. Perhaps one day, we will be reunited.

All the best,

Mom, Dad and Sierra


I destroyed every piece of furniture in the large beach house and cried myself to sleep on the hard wooden floor. I was found the next morning by Mags and Finnick, huddled in a corner between the torn up leather couch and the turned over loveseat. Both victors were appalled by the note that my so called family left me. Finnick cursed and Mags could only hold me close as I cried onto her shoulder. Over the course of a month, I stayed with Mags while my house was repaired of the damage I had done.


Image

“You look like hell,” Finnick commented as I walked through the door of my house. I rolled my eyes at the blonde as I threw my coat on the chair next him.

“Tell me something I don’t know. More importantly, why are you here?”

“I came to steal your sugar cubes, unless you want me to steal your virtue. I’d much enjoy that.”

“You’re a little too late for stealing my virtue. Someone beat you to the punch,” I trailed off looking away from him. Finnick knew what Snow was making me do. He knew the first night I lost my virginity.

Finnick stood up from the couch with a small package in his hand.

“Happy birthday Vee,” he said as he placed the brown paper wrapped box.

I bit my lip and ripped the package opened. Underneath the paper was a small navy blue box. Inside said box was a bronze locket with a seashell and fancy filigree on the front. I gasped at its beauty and looked at Finnick shocked. Something like this would cost a good amount of money in our district. In my mind, this was the most wonderful gift I had ever received. I loved it so much more than the gaudy necklace my ‘regular’ gave me. He motioned for me to open it with a nod of his head. I popped the locket open and inside was a picture of Mags, Finnick and I on one side, and on the other was a picture of Leo and I before the games. Tears welled up in my eyes and I pulled him into a hug.

“Th….this means so much to me. Thank you Finn, thank you,” I whispered in his ear as he held me in his strong tan arms.

“I knew you would love it. Here, let me put it on you.”

He took the necklace from me and I pulled my hair to the side. His fingers trailed against my skin, sending electricity throughout my body. I sighed with comfort. Besides Mags, he was the only one who could comfort me with just his touch. But this was different. I had feelings for this man. Would I admit it? No. Not unless he made the first move. I never had a guy like me, and who would? I was a mess. I had PTSD, night terrors, and sometimes I would lash out at people for no reason. He deserved someone perfect for him and I was far from perfect.Once he clipped on the necklace, I turned back around and kissed his cheek.

“I really love it. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t think about him.”

“I know Vitani. But, you should go change because you, Mags and I need to celebrate someone’s special day.”

I looked up at him and smiled. A genuine smile. One that is always few and far between. Finnick did that to me though. He has always been the light at the end of the dark tunnel that haunted me daily. With him, I feel safe. Whether he knows it or not. With him, I am home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, Vitani's parents are jerks..
.

Decent length for a first chapter. I will try to make each chapter thick with content. Please let me know what you guys think. Even though it is early in the story, I would love to hear some feedback.