Status: I plan for the whole AvengersAssemble! crew to come in. Also a brotp between Hayden/Natasha ;)

Doing It to Death

Chapter II

Hayden was different than most people, however, she was not one of a kind. Most people who passed her on the street didn't sleep with a gun under their pillow. They didn't justify their means of taking lives as pittance for revenge. They hadn't endured years of practiced martial arts, perfected long and short range weaponry, they hadn't been tortured and beaten to literal death. They hadn't survived. They hadn't lived.

But Hayden had.

23 years old and she had 63 confirmed kills under her belt. Some she remembered vividly, some she didn't remember at all. She regretted her lifestyle, a cavalcade of bad choices and series of events when she was very young set the wheels in motion. But, she owned it. She would not stray from her birth right.

Not yet.

“Peter just asked me out!” a voice screamed through Hayden's apartment. Anna, let herself in with her key. It was a regular occurrence now, but when it first happened Hayden had jumped over the back of the couch and reached for a stashed weapon in a matter of seconds. Anna screamed then berated her for an hour and a half about why she could possibly be so paranoid.

How could Hayden say she killed people for money?

Anna was a 32 year old single woman who was crazed about settling down and getting married and having kids, all things Hayden found atrocious and offensive. Why would anyone want to settle? And how could someone like that understand her and and all of her complexities?

But she enjoyed the distraction Anna's friendship bought. She talked about herself most of the time and about her job. A property manager for a large parent company that owned a subsidiary that owned hundreds of properties. From high rises in the city to university buildings upstate to shitty little abandoned factories. Which was how the two of them met. Anna was the property manager for Hayden's not so humble abode.

“Cool, I'm just watching-”

She was cut off by Anna, “He invited me to the Messner and Barker merger party tomorrow!”

Hayden made noises through her bowl of cereal.

“I don't know what to wear, so we need to go shopping tomorrow! I've got a meeting before lunch but after that I can leave the office and-”

“Hey!” Hayden cut the blonde woman off. She tapped her spoon against the watch on her wrist, “Cartoons and cereal until 10. Everyday. You know this.”

Anna shut her mouth but rolled her eyes. She sat down on the couch next to the brunette. Silence ensued.

Hayden settled back into her routine, and just started paying attention again when she was interrupted once more.

“I thought we could go to brunch. I only have an hour long break before my next meeting.”

Hayden's groan was loud. She knew the blonde property manager wouldn't leave without talking. She had an incessant need to talk and it seemed her job was to listen.

“Fine! Jesus fuck!” she jumped up from the couch, leaving her bowl of cereal on the floor in front of the TV. “But you're paying.”

“I always do.” Anna sung. Then she frowned. “Seriously, girl, you can't just leave dishes on the floor. You'll attract rats. And when,” she looked at the dust on almost all the surfaces, “did you last vacuum?”

“Where do I start?”

Walking to drawers full of clothes, she picked at random articles until she found her usual attire. T shirt, jeans, leather jacket and combat boots. Most of her items were black, with a few white and grey articles. But there was no point in her mind. Blood stained everything. And it drawed attention when she walked down the street in a white t shirt covered in blood. She couldn't explain to every person she passed that it wasn't hers but the blood of her enemies.

“Can I ask you something?” Anna's voice sounded from the couch. Hayden stripped out of her clothes she slept in, and changed into skinny jeans. “I don't want you to get angry at me.”

Hayden stopped at this. Then continued pulling her pants up her legs slowly. They were black and tight, and she wriggled into them looking at the blonde over her shoulder.

“Are you… gay?”

She frowned. “What?”

Anna picked at something on the couch, brown eyes cast down, “Do you like… girls?”

Hayden smirked and turned around, “Why? You got a thing for me?”

Anna blushed at this. “Of course not. I'm straight it's just you're always so…”

She waited for her to explain but was met with silence.

“Oh my god, why today of all days have you lost your incessant ability to speak?” the apprehension Anna was exhibiting was killing her.

“Open!” she jumped up from the couch at this, “You've got no problem parading around half naked, and sometimes fully naked in front of me! You're always flirting with everyone, especially women. You always turn me down when I try set you up with guys from work-”

“Okay, stop,” Hayden interrupted, and realised she was still shirtless. Wasn't this the source of the confusion? Grabbing one she quickly slipped it on before sitting on the edge of her bed to do up her shoelaces, “First of all, I flirt with everyone. It's just witty banter I guess. And I grew up in boarding school so I'm used to getting changed in front of people.”

“Boarding school?” Anna's brows rose.

“And,” Hayden stressed, “All the guys from your work are weak, arrogant, rich wall street guys I would chew up and spit out in two seconds; you know this too.”

“I guess,” she sounded defeated. Like she almost wanted Hayden to be gay. “But Peter isn't!”

“I need food and coffee if we're gonna talk about this.” shrugging on her leather jacket, she walked with Anna outside of her factory. She locked the large sliding door. “Where we eating?”

~~~

Anna and Hayden were perched outside of a boutique Italian Cafe that the two of them usually hit together. It was close to Anna's work which meant she could have more time to spend with Hayden before leaving.

Anna had an espresso with a fresh salad without dressing while Hayden nursed a large bowl of fettuccine and an iced coffee topped with whipped cream and chocolate.

“Why do you do that to yourself?”

Anna put her fork down, “I can't eat two breakfasts like you, my hips would never forgive me. And I want to look nice for me and Peters date.”

“Yeah,” she managed through a mouthful of creamy pasta sauce, “No offence or anything but what made Peter ask you out finally? You've been crushing on this dude for months.”

“Well I got invited up to the executive dining room for lunch yesterday by Adam. We had to close a deal on this vendor agreement that was taking too long to go through the mayors-”

“Cut to the chase, sweetheart.”

Anna rolled her eyes but smiled. “Adam was flirting with me, I knew it. I mean he's new but he's a partner and he's pretty cute, but Peter saw us up there and thought we were an item. He asked me about it in the elevator and I told him the truth obviously. Then he asked me to the merger!”

Anna's smile was huge. Like the one thing she had been waiting for had finally fallen into her lap. She cared about boys so much it confused Hayden a little bit.

She had never been boy crazy herself, but watched the girls at her school go through it. She didn't really understand the need for a relationship. It wasn't her bag.

“So when you guys going to get married?”

Anna smiled, looking wistfully into the distance, “I'm hoping for a spring wedding.”

Hayden shook her head. “You are a real piece of work.”

“You love me.” Anna went back to her salad. It was a familiar routine the two had set into. Eating together. Anna didn't like being alone unlike Hayden who required it to remain sane. So she paid for things she knew her stroppy brunette friend couldn't live without; food. It meant she could hang out with her when she was moderately happy.

“You never told me you went to boarding school.”

Hayden shrugged, and finished her meal. Pushing her plate to the side of the table, “You know too much about me already.”

“For someone who's you're best friend I'd say I know pretty much nothing about you.”

She let the comment about being best friends slide. How could she explain to the cute blonde in front of her, paying for her meal, that they weren't that close. Hayden still didn't fully trust her. She didn't trust anyone. Not even her brother's.

“You know how I like my eggs; that's all that matters to me sweets.”

“Scrambled.” Anna rolled her eyes again. “You've never told me what you do. I just have to guess from all the clues around your apartment.”

“There's enough of them.”

Anna had guessed a hitman when she first saw all the weapons. Hayden laughed and played it off. Saying she wasn't that ruthless.

“Mercenary? Secret Agent? Assassin? I can picture you in a black widow outfit kicking ass.”

Hayden smirked. “If I told you I'd have to kill you.”

If she didn't, Ajax would. The man who took no prisoners, and had no time for people who didn't serve his needs.

Anna's remark was interrupted by Hayden's phone ringing. Angel's name flashed across the screen. “It's work, I gotta take this.”

Sliding her finger across the touch screen and answered. “Yeah?”

“You hanging with that perky blonde?” Angels voice had a tone that screamed a smile.

She averted her gaze from Anna's, “Why?”

“Tell her she has an amazing rack.”

Hayden froze. She turned and looked down the busy street. It was full of restaurants which meant that it was bustling with people. But no one looked suspicious. Her eyes moved across the street, and she scanned the rooftops; all things she did when she sat down. Angel was not to be found. “You a mind reader now?”

“Not one of my many talents,” Angel clicked her tongue, “I'm on the corner of the block, end of the street, watching you bite your lip.”

Hayden's teeth released her lip, “I'm starting early, am I?”

Angel sniggered, “Hurry your ass up. We got places to be.”

Then there was dial tone.

“I've got to go,” Hayden downed the rest of her coffee in a single pull. “Emergency at work.”

“Speaking of,” Anna sighed, “It's okay, I start in 20 anyway.”

Hayden smiled, “Thanks for lunch, gorgeous.” with a playful wink she was turned and walking down the street. She didn't know why she was so flirty with Anna, she guessed it was her blushes. They were so addictive. And knowing she had that effect on someone, even a straight woman, was enough for her.

She weaved through people on the street, and as she approached the end she spotted Angel's familiar black SUV. As she got closer, she saw the tall woman leaning against the car. A bored look on her face.

Anna was pretty in a classic, petite, blonde sort of way. But Angel was something else. Hayden found her beauty quite striking, but it was her tall stature, broad shoulders and muscle mass that made her attractive. To Hayden power was a sexy quality to have, and Angel dominated that role.

“Where we headed?”

Angel didn't answer, just told her to get in the SUV. “Ajax wants to do a deal today. Wants to take you. Alone.”

Hayden gulped. She knew what that usually meant. “Alright.”

“Where's all your guns?”

“I was at brunch,” Hayden sighed. “I’m strapped. Got the .45 cal so I'm not totally helpless.”

Hayden pulled the pistol from jacket with ease. Hidden in a holster tucked under her right arm. She checked the magazine was loaded then cocked it, flicking the safety on and putting it back in her jacket. Again it was perfectly hidden.

“I got 12 rounds with 1 in the chamber. I'm sure I'll be sweet.”

Angel shook her head. “No wonder you're so cavalier about everything.”

“What do you mean?”

“You can't die. You could go into battle without 1 round and come out on top.”

Hayden bit her lip again, “I can die. I just have regenerative healing.”

Angel shrugged her shoulders, “You're basically immortal, own it.”

“And you're basically Superman. Can you own that?” She took off her shades and Angel started the car. They entered the traffic.

“I'm human. Not an alien.”

“You also don't have a dick.”

Angel laughed. “True.”

They listened to music as their chatter died down. Their relationship was comfortable enough to sit in silence, which she was thankful for. They were the only two women in Ajax’s circle, which was why Hayden guessed they bonded rather quickly. In his ‘muscle' circle anyway. She knew he had female scientists working for him. He had his fingers in every pot, which scared her. Also his raw intelligence, which scared her even more.

But Angel stepped in and helped her, for some reason, and they formed a bond. Perhaps she was closer to her than even Anna.

~~~

Hayden was smoking a cigarette in the factory. Leaning on a desk that was littered with papers. Ajax had requested her presence and was somewhere deep in the factory she didn't have clearance for. So she had to wait. It had been 35 minutes already.

Ray, Cyrus and Layne walked out of the double doors she wasn't allowed in. And she paused. A dark feeling rose in the pit of her stomach, and she closed her eyes.

Exhaling smoke, she pushed her shoulders back. She hadn't been with Ajax long but long enough to know that she was not welcome. Sure, he was the boss and he had some use of her powers, and she was here because she thought that maybe he knew who killed her father. But his lower level mercenaries were remarkably good at what they did, and they did not want Hayden here.

So when her stomach told her that something was going to go wrong, she listened to it. Her gut instincts were insanely accurate. And had not steered her wrong yet.

They noticed her immediately and they looked at each other before making their way over. Hayden smiled infinitesimally.

She took another puff of her cigarette, and really chastised herself on quitting. Then she quickly wondered if she was immune to the numerous diseases associated. Did she heal herself? Could she do it forever and it wouldn't impair her body? Then why would she quit, she wondered. She may as well just smoke forever. She needed the stress release.

“You know,” Ray smiled a dark smile. Cyrus and Layne at his back. All three were packing serious heat. Cyrus had a pistol in a thigh holster. Ray had a semi automatic on his back. Layne had two knives strapped to his thighs and who knows how many more everywhere else on his person. Ray had a custom kevlar vest since he was Ajax’s right hand man and apparently important enough to wear one all the time. “You should get out while you still can. You're not welcome here.”

She didn't know why she was more offended, because he was sexist or because he was just arrogant.

Thinking he was going to get out of this alive. She knew she was going to come out of this on top.

“Why? Because I'm a girl?” she purred and threw her cigarette on the ground, “Or because I'm now his favourite?”

His lips tightened at this. She hit a nerve. And he stepped a little closer.

“Because I don't trust you. And you're a girl. Angel I can deal with, she keeps her mouth shut, but you,” Ray bought his semi automatic to his front but kept it lowered, finger off the trigger. “You're just going to get me and my men killed.”

His motives weren't clear. And she didn't have time to gather clarity before she was shot. Right in her stomach.

Pain exploded throughout her body and she fell to the floor. Her hand clutched at the open wound dripping blood down her front. Her fingers were covered in the sticky red substance. She got her knees, and looked at the three men laughing above her.

“So what was your plan?” she spat through the pain. Excruciating waves rolled over her. She wanted her Adrenaline to kick in already. That always helped. “Leave me to bleed out for Ajax to find?”

Ray smirked and looked at Layne and Cyrus over his shoulders. “We were gonna have a little fun first.”

Hayden smirked. “I like having fun too.” she stood up on shaky legs and groaned out in pain. Standing in front of Ray she lifted her shirt, and she watched as the bullet wound was already closing; slowly. “But I'm not like other girls.”

They're eyes widened. She was not human. They were. And they didn't know what powers she possessed.

She was quick. Hayden sent a hard kick to the chest of Layne who was on her right, and sent him flying backwards struggling for air. Ray and Cyrus were fast in reacting, and both instinctively reached for their weapons. But both had guns, and they were in too tight of a group to use the semi automatic again. Layne laid on the ground next to them covered in knives that would have been most useful, which was why she got rid of him first.

“Step back, this cunt is mine.” Ray pushed his hands against his friends chest, pushing him away from Hayden.

She laughed. “Anatomically correct, but a little derogatory don't ya think?”

He went to punch her but she dodged it, and countered with one of her own. She wasn't as strong as most people around here, in fact she was rather weak in comparison but she was quick.

As her father had always said; strength hurts but speed kills.

She sent a quick jab to his throat, and she felt the familiar crunch of a windpipe. He went for another right hook out of instinct and it landed against her stomach.

She swore, “Right in the fucking wound.” she quickly ducked, and kicked out her foot out bringing it crashing down against his knee. She heard a snap and a scream. She felt slightly bad for breaking Rays knee, then realised that he was not going to be alive much longer, so what did it matter? If she didn't kill them, Ajax would.

“You should really pick on people your own size.” Hayden leaned over Ray on the ground, who was clutching his leg.

At her smile, Ray grew furious and pulled his gun from the strap that hung on his back, and pointed it at her. They were further apart, and with his friend off to the side, which meant he could use it without any negative impacts on himself or his team.

“Any last words before I shoot you in the head?”

“The safety’s on?” she pushed the words quickly from her mouth.

His brows furrowed at this, “What?”

The second of pure confusion was all she needed. The gun was close to her, pointed at her head, in a quick movement she had gripped the barrel of the semi automatic and pointed it over her shoulder, then with all her strength she pushed it backwards and the butt of the gun connected with his nose. Blood splattered on her face from how close they were and he was instantly out for the count. Her tongue grazed her lips out of instinct and she could taste blood on her tongue.

Gross. She spat a on the ground next to her, and wiped her mouth on the back of her hand.

“Forget about me?”

She froze. Cyrus had his gun out of its holster, and pointed at her head. He was about 7 feet away, and had a smile on his face. Like he caught her. Finally.

“Do you really wanna do this?” she wondered if she was really this hateable. She had done nothing to these men apart from receive favourable attention from their leader. And because she was a woman. But this was the 21st century, where people still actively this sexist?

“Oh, fuck yeah,” Layne was now rising from the ground, and stood behind Hayden. She was blocked in, one in front of her and one behind her.

“You're dead, you know that? I'm sure a clip to the face would do that. No matter how much of a fucking mutant you are.”

Hayden winced at this. It wouldn't, but it'd hurt like hell.

“Stop.”

All three turned to see Angel at the double doors. Everyone else who had been littering around the room had made themselves scarce. Angel was as tall and big as Ajax’s other lackeys, but Hayden guessed she was the real right hand man. She was close with their boss, but she didn't get along with anyone else. Rather keeping to herself. Alone.

Hayden was new but still knew that they were similar; they were superhuman. Both possessed extraordinary powers.

She looked at Ray unconscious on the ground as she walked over, then at Hayden, and then the bullet wound on her stomach. She glanced at the two men in front and behind her. One held a gun, the other a knife. Hayden had nothing but her bare hands.

And then,“Continue.”

As soon as the words had left Angel's lips all 3 moved into action. Adrenaline now pumping through Hayden's veins she had no qualms about being hurt now. And now she had an audience.

Knowing the large Bowie knife behind her was the lesser of two evils she jumped towards Layne and ducked behind him. He swiped at her once, then twice before she retaliated. Grabbing the knife she turned it back and bought it down into his chest, stabbing him straight in the heart. He gurgled and fell to the ground. The knife still in her hand, a shot was fired into her back.

Fire and pain exploded through her body again. She turned quickly and threw the knife straight for Cyrus, he dodged it by side stepping left and shot her again this time in the chest.

It was the last thing he did as Angel came behind him and then sent a roundhouse kick to his ear, rendering him unconscious.

Hayden panted. Through the pain and the adrenaline. She would never get used to being shot.

“Thanks.”

Angel shrugged, “These guys were sexist pigs anyway.”

Hayden nodded, “Shall we…?”

“Finish them off? Sure.”

She smirked at Angel's answer. She walked over to Ray, who still had his semi automatic on his chest, safety off, and she slid it over her own shoulders. Flicking it off she aimed the gun at the three unconscious men on the ground and fired. She sprayed shots over the three of their bodies before looking at the powerful piece of machinery in her hands.

“I'm keeping this.”

“You gonna be okay?”

Hayden turned to see Angel looking at her. More importantly the wounds that littered her body. Ajax was the only person who had seen her in action and had studied her powers. The only other person who knew was Angel. Who also had powers. Super strength and durability. Which in Hayden's eyes was way cooler.

“I'm golden. But what do we tell Ajax?”

“The truth.” Angel smiled, “He'll be proud. If his men are dumb enough to die then in his eyes they didn't deserve to live.”

This made Hayden gulp. What had she gotten herself into?


~~~

It was late in the afternoon when Ajax and Hayden left the compound.

All of them were geared up; guns, vests, and earpieces. 8 other men that were the best of the best mercenaries were in front of them.

Hayden got along with most of them, but they classed her as ‘management' so she didn't get too close. She was seen pretty much only by his and Angel's side.

“We'll meet at the drop and seize the money, then hand over the weapons. We can't let them know it's us so we'll have to let this shipment go with him; then we'll kill him.”

They nodded their heads in understanding. “Take the SUVs. Two to each, Hayden and I will lead. Let's roll out.”

Hayden watched as all the men checked their weapons, and started to move to the exits. The compound was a huge factory that was headquarters for Ajax and his numerous operations. Himself and most of the henchmen resided in the compound, though she straight up refused. Living with all these Mercs would drive her crazy, and Ajax would be controlling her 24/7. That would drive her crazier.

“You're with me.” a hand clamped on her shoulder bringing her out of her thoughts. She looked up to see Ajax’s menacing smile hanging over her.

He was a tall man, with a large muscular stature and a British accent. But it was his shaved head and piercing blue eyes that made her the most nervous. Whenever he looked at her it was like he was looking at all her darkest secrets and promises. He scared her, simply because she didn't know his limits. There was nothing stopping him from deciding that she was no longer of any use.

While everyone else paired off and jumped in all the armoured cars full of their weapon shipments, he pulled her back.

“You won't need this,” he clicked the strap that held her semi automatic over her shoulders. He never had any qualms about being in her personal space. In fact she guessed he relished in making her feel uncomfortable. His hands on her shoulders he pulled the leather jacket down her arms, “Strap this on.”

He handed her a custom kevlar vest, made specifically for women since it had room for her breasts. Usually they were uncomfortably squashed. He watched as she did as she was told, slipping it on over her shirt and using the Velcro to make it tight. Then he slipped her leather jacket back up her arms and over her shoulders.

“Why we killing this guy?” She asked.

He entered her personal space again, and his fingers found the front of her jacket, he zipped it up. His 6’2 stature towering over her 5’6 one. His blue eyes burning her hazel gaze.

“To send a message.”

She rolled her eyes, and he strapped her semi automatic to her back again.

“But then we can't sell guns to him anymore, then you won't get paid.”

She didn't want to tell him how to do his job, but wasn't this economics 101? Supply and demand.

“I don't want to sell guns to him anymore. He's arrogant and I'd prefer to sell to his enemies.” Like it was that easy, he shrugged his shoulders and said no more about the subject. With his hand on the back of her neck, he led her to his black motorcycle that was only used on serious business affairs. It was a sleek black bike that looked scary and sounded like a roaring animal. Two all black helmets were on the seat. One passed to her, she put it on. Usually the two went sans helmets, because they both thought they were above them, along with seatbelts, but they were apparently trying to inconspicuous today. She could only imagine what debauchery she was getting up to today if it required her to hide her face.

Ajax sat on the bike, and brought it to life, giving it a few revs before she followed suit. Swinging her leg over, she sat on the small raised seat at the back, checking her gun was firmly strapped she gave a deep breath.

In and out. In through the nose and out through her mouth. She hoped that whatever went down today she wouldn't suffer too many wounds. She had advanced healing, but the pain she felt was very real.

“Ready?” he asked through his helmet, his accent slightly muffled.

She flicked the tinted visor down and gave him a thumbs up. He simply grabbed her hand and wrapped it around his waist, particularly low on his hips. She held on tight, and they left the compound, four armoured vehicles behind them.

~~~

Director Fury stood in his office, hands poised behind his back, as he watched the view from his windows. He was the perfect picture of relaxation, to most people, but as Clint entered his office he could tell that Fury was tense.

However the man who ran SHIELD had his reasons. Several red flags had been brought to his attention in the last couple of months, and it seemed like he could ignore them no longer.

“Director?” Hawkeye made his presence known when Fury didn't move from the window. “You called for me, sir?”

“Remember, Barton, 4 months ago, you and Agent Romanoff were keeping eyes on the gun runner Wayne Evans?”

Clint frowned, “The man selling guns to Hydra?”

“Yes,” Fury turned, and looked at Clint. Walking over to his desk he sat in the chair, and rifled through papers. “He's doing another deal today. I want you to monitor him. I'm afraid he's dealing with even worse people now.”

“And if something happens, sir? Shall I step in?”

Fury shook his head. “Simple recon mission. I need information; who he's dealing with, who he's dealing to, but no matter the circumstances keep your distance. They can not know they are being watched.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Here is everything that you need to know.” Fury threw a file down, “Take someone with you. Someone you can trust with information this sensitive.”

Clint frowned. Sensitive? Trust? Obviously he was hinting that no lower echelon SHIELD Agent was allowed. Someone he trusted? One person came to mind.

Natasha.

“Yes, sir.”

“Dismissed.”

Clint left Fury's office with the file, and opened it as soon as he was in the elevator. Numerous photos, names and information met his eyes and as he looked closer at a particular photo, he noticed something, or rather someone, familiar.

He sighed, “Shit.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Review and recommend! Also I'm looking for a beta so if anyone is keen let me know. I could get these things out way faster I think xx