‹ Prequel: Empty Nest Syndrome
Status: Complete.

Grandpa

Grandpa

Entering the home that she had spent her summers in, Serena Crosby led her husband through the front door. "Mom! Daddy! We're here!" she called out.

"We're out on the back deck, Serena!" Sidney called back.

Leading the way, Serena followed the path through the house to get to the back deck.

"Momma, Daddy," Serena said, kissing her mother's cheek. then giving her father a hug.

"Serena, are you pregnant?" Brielle asked her eldest daughter suspiciously.

With tears in her eyes, Serna looked form her husband to her parents. "We're having a baby," she said proudly.

Looking at her daughter, then to her husband, then back to her daughter and son-in-law, Brielle couldn't have been any prouder of them both.

"I'm so happy for you both," Brielle smiled, tears starting to fall from her eyes. Hugging Serena first, Brielle soon moved to hug her son-in-law, Jesse.

--

Getting a phone call while they had been laying in bed for a few hours after a night out on the town with a few friends, Sidney and Brielle looked to each other, hoping that it was the call that they had been waiting patiently for.

"Hello?" Sidney spoke.

"Daddy," Serena spoke. "The baby would like to meet you and Mom," she said.

"Is the baby here already? Or are you just going to the hospital now?" Sidney asked.

"We're leaving to go to the hospital now," Serena said. "I'm scared, Daddy," she admitted.

"I promise that you'll be okay, Serena. Your mother and I will meet you and Jesse at the hospital and stay with you until you kick us out," Sidney replied.

"Promise?"

"I promise, princess," Sidney replied. He could hear how scared his firstborn daughter was about giving birth to her first child. "Your mother and I will be there soon. I love you, Serena."

"I love you too, Daddy," she replied. "Please hurry."

"We will, princess," he reassured her.

Hours later, Sidney and Brielle entered their daughter's recovery room after leaving to give her some space to give birth. "Hey, baby girl," Sidney spoke first.

"How are you feeling?" Brielle asked, already knowing the answer from having given birth three times herself.

"Like I just birthed a watermelon," Serena laughed.

"Just wait if you have twins," Brielle laughed with her daughter.

"I don't even want to think about it," Serena said.

"So, let's see our grandchild," Sidney spoke anxiously. "I want to know if I get to buy the first hockey or field hockey stick for my grandchild."

"Mom, Dad, I'd like you to meet Jordana Rose, your granddaughter," Serena said with a proud smile on her face.

With tears in their eyes, Sidney and Brielle looked over the new baby. She looked just like her father, but with her mother's eyes.

"Jesse, Serena, she's absolutely beautiful," Brielle spoke, taking the baby from her daughter's extended arms. "She's smaller than you when you were born, so she's going to be a hell of an athlete," Sidney spoke.

"Just like her momma," Brielle smiled.

--

Months later, Brielle and Sidney had been relaxing after a long day with baby Jordana when their eldest son walked through the front door.

"Hey Junior," Sidney said when his son entered the room.

"Good, you're both here," Junior spoke.

"What's wrong?" Brielle questioned, concern in her voice.

"Nothing's wrong, I promise," Junior assured. "Actually, it's the opposite. I have some news for you."

Still worried about what her son was going to say, Brielle waited on the news from her son with her finger's crossed.

"Anya is pregnant," Junior told them.

"Junior, that's wonderful," Brielle spoke excitedly. "Why didn't Anya come with you?"

"She's had really bad morning sickness that lasts all day and I told her to just lay down in bed all day. It's pretty rough on her."

"Have you told her father yet?" Sidney questioned.

"Yeah, he knows," Junior told his parents.

"Geno must be so excited. Anya is his princess," Brielle spoke.

"I also should mention that Anya is pregnant with twins," Junior added.

With a bright smile on her face, Brielle spoke. "We should have everyone over to the house for dinner so we can celebrate."

"Anya has been craving a lot of Chinese food. It's about the only thing that she can stomach."

"Then Chinese will be on the menu," Brielle said. "I'm so happy for you, baby boy," she added, getting up to hug her son tightly.

"All of our babies are starting to have babies of their own now, Sidney commented.

"Makes you feel old, doesn't it, Grandpa?" Junior laughed.

"Just you wait until your child makes you a grandpa. We'll see who's laughing then," Sidney grinned.

The three continued to discuss the newest soon-to-be additions to the family until Serena had arrived to collect her daughter.

After all the years of playing hockey and living out his dreams, Sidney Crosby hadn't ever been as happy on the ice as he had been with his family, especially now that it was expanding. His wife was still as beautiful as the day they had met, their children were grown and now starting families of their own. They all had been successful in their educations and careers and that was something that Sidney would always be proud of. Of course, there had been a few bumps along the road, but the Crosby household had remained a tight-knit group and always leaned on each other when the times called for it. The fact that his children were just as successful as he had been made Sidney proud to call them his own; he had always worried that being a hockey superstar would make his children feel as if they'd never be able to get out there and make a name for themselves. Thankfully, each and every single one of them had been able to break free from that and got exactly where they wanted to be in life. If he had ever had to do it all over again, Sidney wouldn't have changed a single thing in his life, because his family made everything perfect and he was thankful for that each and every single day.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is it. This is the final part in this Sidney Crosby drabble series. This one is by far the longest and I apologize for that, but I needed to wrap things up and got a bit carried away with it. I want to thank each and every single ready that has been along for the entire ride with this series and to each reader that will find it in the future. You all are fabulous and I love you all for continuing to read these stories. Until the next time you read a story of mine or request one, it's been fun. (:

xoxo,
Codie