‹ Prequel: Hollow Kingdom
Sequel: Tarnished Crown

Divided Throne

Chapter One

"Wake up, Lucian. We need to get you ready for your party."

Lily lifted her son from his crib, smiling when his big blue eyes opened.

"You're as lazy as your father," she laughed. "He's still sleeping too even though it's nearly noon."

"I heard that," a sleepy voice mumbled from behind her.

"I'm impressed you can hear anything over all your snoring."

Lily smiled as she felt Alec wrap his arms around her waist, planting a kiss on her cheek.

"I do not snore," he informed her. "Kings don't snore."

"If you say so, Alec." Lily rolled her eyes, turning to face him and gently transferring Lucian to her hip so she could rise up on her toes and kiss Alec.

"It's your son's birthday, go brush your hair," she scolded, running her fingers through his tousled dark hair and trying to smooth it down.

"He's one, Lily. I don't think he cares what my hair looks like."

"It's the principle of the matter," Lily replied primly. Alec shook his head, trying not to smile. He kissed the top of Lucian's head and shuffled off to get dressed. Lily hummed softly as she dressed Lucian in his birthday finery, marveling not for the first time that she had a beautiful son. She had been terrified to learn she was going to be a mother, and most of the time she still was. She didn't know how to be a mother, or a queen. How she was managing to be both she would never know.

But she wouldn't trade Lucian for anything. He was the single most perfect thing she had ever seen. He looked exactly like Alec, with his curly black hair and startling blue eyes.

"Everyone is excited for your very first birthday, Lucian," Lily informed him, playing with his feet to make him squirm and giggle before putting his shoes on. "Your Aunt Belle and Grandpa Toby have a special surprise gift for you; they won't even tell me what it is."

"Has Alec gotten his lazy butt out of bed yet?"

Lily looked up and smiled as she saw Erwin the ferret come scurrying through the open window, pink nose twitching.

"Is that rodent insulting me again?" Alec shouted from the washroom. "Tell him I'll stuff him up the fireplace."

"You wouldn't dare!" Erwin squeaked indignantly. He climbed up onto Lily's shoulder to peer down at Lucian.

"I've never much understood the fuss over human children," he admitted. "But I must say, that's a fine looking prince, Lily. Don't let Alec screw him up."

"I heard that." Alec opened the door and scowled at Erwin. Lucian giggled again and reached up to try and pet Erwin. The ferret had initially been nervous about letting a baby play with him but he and Lucian had become good friends. Erwin climbed down Lily's arm to allow Lucian to grab him and yank him into a hug.

"Lucian, don't hurt Erwin," Lily said.

"It's fine," Erwin assured her. "He just has good taste in the company he keeps."

Alec rolled his eyes as he fumbled with the sash he was trying to put on. "You're a ferret," he pointed out.

"And you're a dope," Erwin retorted.

"Boys, behave. No bickering today." Lily stepped forward to help Alec adjust his sash. She had given Lucian a matching one. She straightened the sash and smoothed it out. Alec caught her hand and brushed a kiss across her knuckles.

"It's been almost two full years," she laughed softly. "And you still don't know how to work all this royal clothing of yours."

"It's all show. Lily do you really think I don't know how to take my scabbard off? I just pretended to get you to take it off for me."

Alec smirked while Lily shook her head. "I knew it. But you also buttoned your shirt wrong. And it's inside out. And I'm trying to get you into your clothes right now. So I'm going to have assert that you still don't know how to wear these fancy clothes."

"You caught me, Your Majesty." Alec grimaced then laughed, bending his head to kiss her again, lifting her off her feet.

"Ferret and infant in the room!" Erwin shouted disapprovingly. Lily couldn't see him but she knew Alec was rolling his eyes. He didn't stop kissing her though until she couldn't contain her laughter and finally pulled back slightly.

"Go fix your shirt, Your Kingliness," Lily ordered. Alec sighed and went back to the washroom, grumbling. Lily watched Erwin play peek-a-boo with Lucian until Alec returned, then she fixed his sash yet again before they all made their way down to the Great Hall.

They found Belle, Tobias, Samuel Denholm and Dominic Wither setting up the long dining table, which Lily thought might collapse under all the trays of food. Belle was winding vines around all the chairs to give the Great Hall a forested feel. The far doors were open, giving a sweeping view of the garden below.

Tobias had taken it upon himself to make actual flowers grow from the very walls of the room and Lily was pretty sure she could see figures from the fountains waving and smiling.

"He's one," Alec said, gawking at the scene before him. "Has everyone forgotten that he's only one?"

"Shut up, Alec," Belle said, sweeping over to plant a kiss on Lucian's cheek. "He deserves a special birthday no matter how old he is."

"But he's only a baby. He doesn't even know what's going on."

Lily and Belle both pinned him with warning looks and he held his hands up in surrender. "Okay, okay. Decorate away."

Tobias chuckled as he joined them. "Well look at this beautiful little family of mine. I'm a lucky man."

Lily's smile faded the smallest bit. As much as she loved the Spauldings, and as much as she knew they loved her and considered her part of the family, sometimes she was still acutely aware that she had only married into their family. She wished Lucian had relatives from her side, too.

Tobias, ever perceptive, caught her look and gave her a reassuring hug. "You're my daughter too, Lily," he said quietly. She swallowed the lump in her throat and handed Lucian to Belle.

"What took you so long to get down here?" Belle asked, tickling Lucian's sides.

"His Royal Highness here couldn't figure out how to dress himself," Erwin muttered. "And you know, I think I preferred it when these two were still denying their feelings for each other, because then at least they kept their hands to themselves once in a while-"

"Shut it, rodent," Alec growled. Lily saw a streak of blue dart across the marble floor, pouncing on Erwin, who let out a furious squeak and wriggled wildly.

"Razeth!" Lily scolded. The dragon sat up, looking smug as Erwin continued to flail beneath him.

"Raz, get off of Erwin," Lily ordered. The dragon flattened his ears and shook his head.

"Raz," Lily said sternly. Huffing, the dragon stood and set a gasping Erwin free.

"You fat brute!" Erwin squeaked, biting Raz's leg. Raz snarled and batted Erwin halfway across the room before chasing after him. Erwin scampered for the tapestry while Alec sighed.

"It's your turn to deal with them," Lily said, hustling off to help Belle with the cake.

"I did it last time!" Alec protested. "I have the burn marks to prove it!"

Lily flashed him an innocent smile and escaped to the kitchen.