‹ Prequel: Hollow Kingdom
Sequel: Tarnished Crown

Divided Throne

Chapter Eleven

Lily was confined to her bed for another two days until Gwendolyn felt she was ready to walk around without toppling over. Lily spent those days mostly alone, just sitting in bed with Lucian and reading him stories or singing songs to him. She didn't see hardly anyone besides Gwendolyn; she hadn't seen Belle since she'd woken up and apologized to her. Tobias stopped by to check on her.

"You seemed very upset before you went tearing out of here," he remarked. Lily shrugged.

"I was just worried about Lucian. I didn't mean to snap at Belle. I know she loves him."

"We are your family too, Lily," he said quietly. Lily said nothing, keeping her gaze on Lucian as he slept in her lap.

"He was terribly upset until you woke up and he was allowed to see you," Tobias went on. "Barely a year old and already he's a compassionate young man. You should be very proud of him."

"I am," Lily said softly. "He's perfect." She just didn't know how long he would stay that way. He was soft and gentle; two things Lily had never been. She just prayed that there was enough Spaulding in him to make him sweet and brave.

"Lily, I can tell there's something bothering you. Do you want to talk about it?"

"I'm fine. I'm just tired and my head hurts."

Tobias sighed and patted her head. "Very well, my dear. Get some rest."

The next day Gwendolyn gave her a clean bill of health and Lily summoned Belle.

"Can you please watch Lucian while I get cleaned up?" she murmured. Belle watched her worriedly.

"Of course." She took Lucian and blew on his cheek, making him giggle. Lily shuffled carefully to the washroom, though she could still sense Belle watching her. She scrubbed herself clean and put on a new bandage. Her right temple was bruised, the purple cut by a jagged red line. She would likely have a scar when it healed.

Lily floated around the castle like a ghost. She passed the Mirror Room and could hear King Hamilton pretending to be a bear to entertain Lucian. Lily stood quietly in the doorway, smiling slightly as she watched Erwin, Raz and Snowball frolic around him, pretending to protect him from the big scary bear. Hamilton was on all fours, his beard twitching as he pretended to roar.

"Hamilton, you won't be able to get back up again," Queen Gloria scolded him gently. Lucian lurched to his feet, toddling forward to pull on Hamilton's beard.

"The mighty young prince has bested me!" Hamilton cried, dramatically pretending to fall over and die while Lucian laughed. Lily prepared to turn around and leave them to their game, but Lucian spotted her.

"Mama!" he chirped excitedly. He began to waddle toward her as fast as his small legs would allow, nearly tripping and falling on his face. Lily swooped down to catch him.

"Careful, Lucian," she whispered. "Be careful, my love."

Lucian wrapped his arms around her neck and buried his face in her hair.

"Lily, it's wonderful to see you up and about," Hamilton said, struggling to lift his wide girth from the floor.

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

It was fortunate that Alec, Tobias, Samuel and Dominic arrived then, because Gloria had been right. Hamilton couldn't get himself up off the floor. Lucian laughed and even Belle had to smother a giggle as the other men helped lift the large king to his feet. Lily held Lucian and stared at the floor until Alec knelt before her.

"Are you all right?" he asked. "Are you feeling better?"

"Fine," she said, forcing a small smile. "I'm fine."

Alec studied her face, frowning slightly until Lucian nearly poked him in the nose.

"Dada!" he said. Laughing, Alec picked him up.

"Well hello," he said. Hamilton and Alec took turns playing monsters and villains and Erwin, Raz and Snowball were always Lucian's trusty sidekicks as he bravely fought them off. Belle played the roles of fairy princess and captured mermaid who aided him in his quests. Gwendolyn had slipped into the room and sat down beside Lily, though soon her attention was mostly occupied with talking to Dominic. He seemed to find a reason to strike up a conversation with Gwendolyn every time he saw her.

Lily laid down on the cushions that were spread across the floor, feeling weary. She hadn't been sleeping well since even before she hit her head. She hadn't realized she'd fallen asleep until she was startled awake by Lucian nudging her shoulder.

"Mama," he said impatiently.

"What is it, darling?" she mumbled sleepily, sitting up slowly.

"Lucian had a gift for you," Alec said. Lucian had a bundle of tiny white flowers clutched in his tiny hand.

"Mama," he said again, pushing them into her hand.

"He wanted to pick them for you," Alec said. Lily stared at the flowers and then at her son's big blue eyes. Everyone else was smiling as Lucian hugged her. Lily opened her mouth to say they were beautiful flowers, but instead she burst into tears. Alec looked slightly alarmed and Lucian seemed confused, reaching up to touch her face.

"They're...lovely," she choked out. "Th-thank you, Lucian." She slipped the flowers behind her ear, which seemed to appease Lucian, though he still seemed unsure about her crying. Gwendolyn came forward and caught his hand.

"Your mommy needs a moment of quiet," she said soothingly. "Would you like to hear a story?"

Gwendolyn's melodic voice seemed to distract him enough, and Lily seized the opportunity to run from the Mirror Room. She wiped tears from her eye and tried to get herself under control. She realized with a start that she was in front of Carina Spaulding's portrait. She still felt like the woman's eyes were boring into her, unimpressed.

"I know," Lily grumbled. "You can stop looking at me like that. I know I'm a mess."

"Lily?" Alec joined her, glancing from her to the portrait. "Are you talking to the picture?"

"Yes." Lily sniffled and swiped at her eyes again.

"What were you two talking about?"

"Whether or not she likes me."

Alec raised his eyebrows. "And what did she say?"

"Nothing. But I can guess what her opinion would be."

Alec frowned. "I'm sure she would have loved you."

Lily shook her head, then winced. "She's much more perceptive than you. I love you, Alec, but sometimes you don't see things that are right in front of your face."

"What am I not seeing?" he asked quietly, grabbing her hands. "What's wrong? It can't just be this business with Rufus. Something else is bothering you."

"I'm bothering me," Lily said. Alec tilted her chin up so he could look at her.

"Lily."

She shook her head. "It's nothing. I'm just a little addled from the head injury. I think I'll turn in early."

She gave him a quick kiss before returning to their bedroom. She barely recognized her reflection in the mirror; her green eyes looked dull and troubled. She heard Alec slip in sometime later. She expected him to put Lucian in his crib, but instead he let Lucian next to her and the child wriggled into Lily's arms. Snowball curled up on the pillow next to her while Raz lay across her feet and Erwin settled into his pillows overlooking the crib. Alec planted a gentle kiss on Lily's shoulder and she finally managed to fall into a fitful sleep.

She thrashed herself awake in the middle of the night, waking from a nightmare in which Rufus made her friends and family kill each other and she was helpless to stop him. Alec caught her hands as she flailed and screamed.

"Lily! Wake up, it's all right!"

"It's not all right!" She curled into a trembling ball and Alec held her close, stroking her hair.

"He wants to kill you, Alec. He wants to kill you and Lucian."

"We won't let that happen, Lily. We won't let that happen."

Lily just lay shaking in his arms. She wanted to believe him, but it was hard to take solace in his words when she felt helpless to protect them.