‹ Prequel: Hollow Kingdom
Sequel: Tarnished Crown

Divided Throne

Chapter Nineteen

The Jalecian troops hadn't expected another wave of Aegaeran and Elbian soldiers to close in on them, coming in a ring from every direction. Which was precisely the element of surprise Lily had been going for. She had changed out of her elaborate dress into clothes more fitting for fighting battles, despite everyone trying to convince her she should go back to the castle. After she punched a huge Elbian man in the face no one brought it up again.

She wound her hair into a braid and moved in with the others, astride a gargantuan Elbian war horse. She would have looked comical, her small frame perched up there looking almost child-like; but the murder in her eyes certainly kept anyone from being amused. It was still a bloody, frantic battle but at least the sight of their queen and reinforcements seemed to boost their side's morale a bit.

Despite its size, the war horse was quick and deft on his feet and carried her through the carnage with ease, occasionally rearing up and landing a deadly blow to a Jalecian soldier's head if he got in the way. Her eyes scanned the crowd of fighters and bodies, heart in her throat as she searched for Alec. She spotted him at the crest of a hill, just as he ran his sword clean through Rufus's body. Her relief was quickly overtaken by horror as Rufus slid a dagger into Alec's side up to the hilt.

Blood rushing in her ears, she urged her horse forward and charged up the hill. She tumbled from the horse's back, landing on the ground in a heap and scrambling to where Alec was bleeding on the grass.

"Dugan!" she screamed. Everything had gone silent and the fighting had stopped when Alec and Rufus stabbed each other. Her voice carried like cannon fire. Dugan and the others shuffled forward nervously. Lily stood and smacked her hands hard against Dugan's chest, glaring fiercely at the Norris brothers.

"You were supposed to stay close to him!" she shouted. "You were supposed to stay with him and keep him safe!"

"We tried," Dugan said, feebly trying to fend off her blows. "He took off like a madman. He thought you were dead and he just...lost it. I couldn't keep track of him in the crowd. Lily, I'm sorry."

"After everything you idiots can't even do this one thing to help me." Lily smacked him again before sinking to her knees next to Alec, struggling to breathe. She pressed her hands against his side to try and staunch the bleeding, tears in her eyes.

"You stupid, wonderful man," she murmured. She blinked away her tears and stood.

"Get him on my horse," she snapped. "Right now."

"Lily-"

"Now."

Dugan and Frederick carefully lifted Alec's unconscious form onto the back of the horse and Myron gave Lily a boost. She dug her heels into the horse's sides and galloped hard for the castle, leaving the battlefield behind.

.::.::.::.::.


Annemarie and Tobias had already gotten word that Rufus was dead and the war was over, and they were tending to Lucian in the Mirror Room when Lily arrived, riding the horse right into the castle and shouting for help. Tobias grew pale at the sight of his son lying limp and bleeding. Other healers must have heard her shouting because it didn't take long for them to appear.

Lily sent most of them out to the battlefield. Tobias and two others stayed to tend to Alec. Lucian was feeling better, but he still had a fever and was mostly sleeping. Lily asked for his crib to be placed in the bedroom with Alec, where she could keep an eye on both of them.

She didn't want to be separated from her son and husband for another moment but she stayed in the hall while they worked on Alec's wound. She needed a few moments to herself and didn't want to break down in front of everyone. Once alone, she crumbled. Sobbing, she slumped down the wall onto the floor and buried her face in her hands.

"Lily."

Lily looked up at the sound of Gwendolyn's soft voice. She felt a surge of rage and confusion rise to join her terror and heartbreak and she staggered clumsily to her feet.

"Where were you for the last twenty-one years?" she demanded shrilly. "My son and husband are dying in that room and I don't know what to do! I've failed them both and you have the nerve to show up now?"

Lily choked against another onslaught of tears and was suddenly too tired to protest when Gwendolyn stepped forward and embraced her.

"I'm so sorry," she murmured. Lily was startled to find that Gwendolyn was crying too. "Lily, I am so, so sorry. I never meant for this. I couldn't find you, and it broke my heart. I may have failed you, Lily, but never think for a moment that you failed at anything. You're a wonderful wife and mother. I'm so proud of you."

Gwendolyn released her and stepped back to wipe tears from her eyes. "Come on, let's get you cleaned up. Then you can come back and watch over Alec and Lucian."

Numbly, Lily let herself be led away. Gwendolyn drew a hot bath and when Lily was scrubbed clean of tears and blood Gwendolyn sat her down and hummed a lullaby as she brushed Lily's hair.

"I sing to Lucian like that," she blurted suddenly. Gwendolyn smiled softly.

"You inherited my voice. Cedric would have been delighted."

"Cedric? Is that my father's name?" It felt strange to say the words "my father."

Gwendolyn nodded, a faraway look coming into her eyes. "You've probably heard stories of the war between Cirarith and Nyderemas. Neither of them is very connected to Aegaera, but the war was well known. The people of Nyderemas decided they were tired of living under Cirarith's tyranny and rebelled. I was only sixteen then, traveling with my grandparents. They were magic users too, and wanted to help the Nydereman army. I was eager to prove myself and joined them as well. That's when I met a young Ciran soldier.

It surprised all of us when we fell in love. He dedicated himself to our cause as a spy. When I became pregnant with you, Cedric thought we should travel to a neutral country. But the pregnancy wasn't easy, we had a few scares. It was decided it would be best to wait until you were born before traveling, since winter was coming.

Cedric was discovered by one of his fellow soldiers, and turned in. We learned that they were coming to arrest us the very night you were born. I didn't have time to even hold you or name you. We have you to a trusted midwife, who was supposed to take care of you until we could escape. She fled with you and her daughter and Cedric and I were captured by the Ciran soldiers.

I thought they would have held him for a while, tortured him for information like they did with me. But they don't take treason lightly in Cirarith." Gwendolyn paused, her eyes turning sad. "They executed him as soon as dawn broke the next day. It was nearly two weeks before the Nydereman rebels could send a party to rescue me. I came back here to Aegaera, but it took me much longer than I anticipated to get here. Several months had passed since you were born, and the midwife wasn't where we had agreed to meet.

I was disgusted with myself that I possessed the gift of Seeing and yet no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find my own child. Eventually I found myself in Elbis, and ended up thwarting an assassination plot against King Hamilton. He kept me on after that, as a friend and resident Seer. Occasionally I would have dreams of you, but it was never enough to let me know exactly where you were.

Until I saw you as Queen, holding a baby boy and standing with your husband as Rufus threatened to take your throne away."

Lily remained silent, trying to take it all in. She had never known anything about her family, and she wasn't sure if learning the truth made her feel better, or worse.

"Go to your husband and son," Gwendolyn said gently. "We can talk again later."

Lily returned to hers and Alec's room to find Belle, Tobias and Dominic. Belle's eyes were red from crying. She let out a strangled squeak and threw herself at Lily, hugging her tightly.

"Never scare me like that again."

"Alec should be fine," Tobias said. "He lost quite a bit of blood, so he needs to rest. We just need to keep an eye on the wound to be sure it doesn't grow infected."

Lily nodded, though she was only half listening. Her gaze was locked on Alec and Lucian, both of whom looked far too pale and still. She was dimly aware that Tobias was quietly ushering the others out of the room. Lily sat gingerly on the edge of the bed, trying not to disturb Alec. She gently rocked Lucian's crib, singing to him softly.

Eventually she laid down, curled into a tiny ball, and fell into a fitful sleep.