‹ Prequel: Hollow Kingdom
Sequel: Tarnished Crown

Divided Throne

Chapter Twenty-One

"So. What happened between you and your...Gwendolyn?" Alec asked. Lily had been mostly silent since they had left Jalecia and begun their return journey to Aegaera. She pulled her eyes away from the carriage window and looked at Alec, who was watching her with curiosity and a tinge of concern. She shrugged.

"She told me about how we were separated. She told me about...about my father."

"And?"

Lily lowered her eyes. "He's dead. He was part of the Ciran army, back when Cirarith was at war with Nymanderes. He was executed for treason."

Alec looked slightly horrified. "That's awful. Are you all right?"

"I don't know. I mean, it's not as if I ever knew him. But it hurts to know that I never will. At least with Gwendolyn we can still have time together. But I'll never meet my father. And I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I have a mother."

Lily realized she was nervously clench the fabric of her skirt in her hands and forced herself to relax. Alec put an arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer. He planted a kiss against her temple.

"I just can't help but wonder how my life would have been different if they had escaped and everything went according to plan," she admitted. "My childhood would have been normal. Maybe I would have a better idea of what I'm doing now."

"Lily." Alec gently turned her face so that she was looking at him. "You're perfect exactly like you are. I wish I could take away all the horrible things that happened to you. But you survived all of it, and you're the bravest, most determined and caring person that I know. You're going to be a wonderful example for Lucian, and I don't want you to ever think otherwise."

Swallowing the lump that formed in her throat, Lily leaned up to kiss him, careful to avoid pressing too hard against his wounded side.

"It's going to take you longer to heal if you don't take care of it," she chided him, not for the first time.

"Worth it," he replied, smiling. When they returned to Aegaera, a nervous Gwendolyn was waiting for them at the gates.

"I have some people I'd like for you to meet, Lily, when you have a moment."

Lily and Alec exchanged a curious look. They followed Gwendolyn into the throne room, where Lily was caught off guard by a large man with reddish hair who suddenly swept her into a spine-crushing hug.

"So this is her!" he said cheerfully. "I'd know her anywhere, Gwen. She's your spitting image!"

"Marshall, for heaven's sake, you're overwhelming the poor girl." A pretty woman with dark hair faintly streaked with silver shooed the giant Marshall away from Lily, who stood there dazed. He clapped Alec hard on the shoulder and nearly sent him sprawling on the floor.

"Nice to meet you, Your Highness," he said jovially.

"Uh," Alec said uncertainly. "Nice to meet you too. Whoever you are?"

"This is my brother," Gwendolyn said. "And his wife, Adora."

"Your brother?" Lily looked from Gwendolyn to Marshall. "I have an uncle?"

"And a grandmother." An older woman rose from the table, leaning on a wooden cane.

"Lady Justine Holtwell. She's Cedric's mother," Gwendolyn said softly. "I'm sorry if this is all too much, I just thought that perhaps you'd like to meet them. There's not much of our family left but they've all been dying to see you."

"No, it's fine," Lily said. She eyed the three people in front of her, wondering if she was dreaming. Lady Justine stepped forward, tilting her chin up and studying her with sharp, dark eyes. She nodded after a moment.

"Yes, I can see my Cedric there," she said. "I think he would have been very proud of you."

Lily felt her lip start to tremble and forced her voice not to waver. "You may all stay as long as you like," she said. "I suppose we may as well finally tell everyone else who you are, when Hamilton and the council have dinner tonight."

She left Alec to tend to the matter of Aegaera taking over Jalecia for the time being, spending most of her day in the garden with Lucian and her newfound family members. Justine and Adora fawned over Lucian, instantly smitten with him. Marshall reminded Lily a little of Hamilton, with his twinkling eyes and booming laugh. Lucian seemed equally taken by the three of them as they were with him. It filled a part of Lily's heart that she had assumed would always be empty. It was going to take her time to adjust to the idea of having a family, but she thought she could get used to it.

She awkwardly made the announcement at dinner that Gwendolyn was her long-lost mother, and would remain at the castle indefinitely. Dominic seemed pleased with the idea, and Hamilton was so moved by the fact that a mother and daughter had been reunited he actually cried a little, loudly blowing his nose on a giant handkerchief.

After dinner she was approached by Myron, Dugan, and the Norris brothers. They looked nervous, even more so when Lily arched an eyebrow at them.

"Hoping I'll release you from your duties now that the action is over?" she asked.

"Actually, we wanted to uh, volunteer, to stay on. For whatever you may need us for," Zachary said, fidgeting uncomfortably. Frederick nodded.

"Yeah. We were talking the other day and it kind of occurred to us that we were...well kind of horrible to you when we were kids. And we want to try and make it up to you now. If you'll let us, anyway."

Lily was so surprised that it took her several moments to reply. Alec was looking from her to them and back again, eyes wide.

"Well," Lily said finally. "All right, then. I accept your proposition. You can stay on as permanent staff; I'm sure we can find something for you to do. Now go away."

They shuffled out, looking a little relieved. Lily leaned back on her pile of cushions in the Mirror Room and Lucian toddler over to her, his loyal pets tailing after him and a story book in his hand. He held it up to Lily before climbing into her lap. Lily kissed the top of his head and started reading as Alec scooted closer to her, wrapping an arm around her waist and resting his chin against the crook of her neck.

Lily glanced up to survey the room; Gwendolyn and Dominic talking in hushed tones in the corner, and Belle and Tobias playing chess while Hamilton and Marshall exchanged bawdy stories from their youth. Smiling, she leaned back against Alec's chest and tightened her hold on Lucian as he started to doze off in her arms.

At least for a moment, everything was perfect.