‹ Prequel: Hollow Kingdom
Sequel: Tarnished Crown

Divided Throne

Chapter Four

Things were eerily quiet for the next day. As far as anyone could tell, Rufus and his men had all but disappeared. There was no trace that they'd ever been there. Samuel suggested that maybe he'd been scared off after all. Alec knew better than to believe that it was over. He should've known that the change of government after the revolution was far too simple to be true. This proved to be correct, when a young boy arrived before the council.

He was about fourteen years old, with pale skin and a hollow look in his eyes, as if he'd seen the end of the world. He would wring the hem of his shirt nervously, keeping his eyes on the floor. Alec looked to Lily, who sat on the throne beside him. She was leaning forward in her seat, with a concerned look on her face that suggested maternal instinct was making her want to hug the boy and protect the boy.

“Give the king and queen your message, Franklin,” Dominic encouraged gently.

The boy reached into his shirt pocket and took out a folded note, giving it to Alec. Still, he made no eye contact. Alec took it and read it over, holding it to his side so Lily could read it, too.

To my dearest Shrimp King Alex, Pup Queen Lily, and the little brat that came out of her,

I apologize to Aegaera in place of its foolish government. It didn't have to be this way.

It will take about two months to make the trip back to Jalecia, organize my army, and return to Aegaera. You'll have until then to prepare an army of your own, or otherwise experience the terror Aegaera will face when we take the throne by force.

The king who stands in the end wins the other’s throne. And his queen. And his baby shrimp.

Make the right decision.

King Rufus LeMontague


Lily tensed beside Alec, and he took a deep breath, reading the declaration of war once more, out loud. There was some muttering among the council, most of it fearful. The messenger was trembling hard now, knuckles white from holding his shirt so tightly.

“Franklin, did he deliver this message to you personally?” Alec asked him.

“Y-yes, your majesty,” he stammered.

“Is there something you're not telling us?” Alec asked.

“N-no, your majesty.”

“Did he hurt you?” Lily asked, a little more gently than Alec.

The boy looked up with horror in his eyes. “I w-was just playing ball with my friends. T-they came and m-made us fight. Either w-we killed each other or they'd k-kill the families of whoever d-defied them.”

“He didn't,” Lily said, voice barely a whisper.

“I was the last one s-standing, your highness,” he said, looking ashamed. “They gave me the note. They l-laughed and placed b-bets on us.”

Alec was mortified. Rufus and his men made the fourteen-year-old boys fight to the death for their entertainment.

“You may go,” Alec said quietly.

Franklin bowed hurriedly and rushed out the door. The council was silent for at least ten minutes before Lily stood, an angry look on her face.

“We have to go to war,” she concluded. “We have to win.”

“The Jalecian military is far superior to our own,” Samuel pointed out. “And Aegaera’s military is minimal with all the old dynasty’s loyals gone.”

“Yes, but they don't have the magic users,” Tobias said.

“They have so much more than that,” Dominic said slowly. “I remember, back in my days as a soldier. So many were lost in such brutal ways…”

“We have to fight!” Lily yelled. “What are we going to do, let him kill Alec? Let him put Lucian in a bag of rocks and throw him in the river? Take over the kingdom and force children to fight each other for his entertainment.”

“She's right,” Alec said. “I'll die fighting before I simply allow that to happen.”

“We can find allies,” Samuel suggested. “The Kingdom of Elbis is near us. They've never been allies to Aegaera, but they've never been enemies, either.”

“Aegaera's military is weak,” Tobias nodded. “With Elbis on our side to assist with supplies and training, aside from the battlefield, we may be able to match Jalecia’s army. I'm sure their King will want Rufus dead just as much any other person.”

“Then we will write to King Hamilton,” Dominic said. “All we can do is ask him to meet with Alec and Lily. His father was a good man. If he is anything like his father raised him to be, he might set aside the fear of Jalecia to ally with us.”

“It's settled, then,” Lily said. “Get a message to this King Hamilton immediately.”

Everyone nodded in agreement, and the council was dismissed. Alec sighed and sunk down in his seat in a very un-kingly manner, watching as Lily rushed off to get Lucian from Belle. Belle and Tobias were the only ones who were allowed to watch him, as of his birthday. The nursemaids who'd need trusted before were dismissed until the mess was sorted out, just so they could personally make sure to keep an eye on Lucian.

Shortly after, the door opened and Lucian ran through, shirtless and screaming in delight as Lily chased him and pretended like he was too fast for her. Alec got off the throne and knelt down in time for Lucian to leap into his arms and squeal as Alec rolled behind the throne, shushing Lucian and pretending to hide.

“Now I wonder where Lucian has gone?” Lily called out, acting like she had absolutely no idea.

Lucian squirmed out of Alec's grip and ran back to his mother, and Alec caught him just before he accidentally toppled headfirst down the stairs.

“Slow down, Lucky, you'll hurt yourself and all of this is so we can avoid that,” Alec told him, kissing his cheek.

“What?” Lily frowned.

“What?” Alec asked, blinking in confusion.

“Did you just… You didn't,” Lily said, glaring at him and taking Lucian back.

“I didn't do what?”

“You called him Lucky.”

“No I didn't.”

“You did,” Lily argued. “I've told you a hundred times that I don't like that nickname. I don't like nicknames.”

“Should I call you Lillian, then?” Alec asked, raising a brow.

“No.”

“He likes Lucky,” Alec chuckled. “He's a lucky boy.”

Upon hearing the nickname, Lucian turned to look at Alec, who gave Lily a smug grin.

“I'll slap that grin off your face,” she snapped. “If he stops answering to his name, I will personally hand you over to Rufus.”

“Alright, alright.”

He followed Lily out of the room, noticing his father out of the corner of his eye. Tobias was staring up at a large portrait in the hall, which he and Alec had later commissioned in memory of Alec’s mother. They had no portraits of her before she passed, but the artist had captured every detail of her beautiful face purely off of the memories her husband and children had of her. Alec went to stand by his father, looking at the portrait. Tobias had a sad smile on his face.

“Are you alright?” Alec asked.

Tobias didn't say anything, just patting Alec’s shoulder, brushing Lucian's hair back gently, and walking away. Lily also stared at the portrait, glancing at Alec.

“Belle doesn't remember her too well, other than how kind and beautiful she was,” she said.

“She'd invite whatever beggar she’d encounter in the day to dinner,” Alec smirked. “If we didn't have enough food for everyone, my father and I went to bed without dinner to feed them.”

He looked back to Lily, who wore an odd expression.

“What's the face?” he asked.

“No face,” she said simply.

She turned on her heel and started down the hall to take Lucian upstairs, staying quiet. Alec watched her go, pursing his lips and giving a slight now to the portrait before following her.