‹ Prequel: Hollow Kingdom
Sequel: Tarnished Crown

Divided Throne

Chapter Six

Alec was beyond grateful to King Hamilton and the people of Elbis. They day of the meeting, Hamilton insisted that they didn’t discuss war. It felt like nothing was wrong, and it was rather refreshing. Hamilton wouldn’t hand Lucian off to anyone. He and the child had become such good friends, that Lucian had even learned to say “Ham” whenever Hamilton dared to direct his attention somewhere else for a few seconds. Queen Gloria was quiet and shy, quite the opposite of her loud and lively husband, but it was clear that she was a kind and caring woman.

The next day, Hamilton sent out word for Elbis to send over their best. Aegaera opened its gates to soldiers and volunteers that carried identification of being citizens of Elbis. They were all as kind and good as their king, but Alec did notice one thing: They weren’t very frightening or vicious. Elbis was a kingdom whose main trade was that of luxury items. It was a very rich region, at its people valued beauty and riches above all else. The soldiers carried the most advanced weapons, and had received only the best in military training, not to mention fine uniforms. However, Alec felt they were overconfident considering how fragile some of them looked. As if the man would die if his hair was mussed.

“What do you think?” Alec asked Dominic, watching from the window as said soldiers showed off their fancy uniforms and weapons to giggling Aegaeran girls.

“I’m not sure,” Dominic sighed. “They’re the best we have. Now, don’t underestimate them because they look like daffodils. Elbis is strong, especially in defense. They cause little conflict, but if someone were to cause conflict, they will protect their people at all costs. Besides, is our own military much better? We have a couple hundred farmboys with pitchforks and slingshots. Anyone who fought in the revolution was blindly swinging a weapon around and won because of number, not because of skill. With proper training from Elbis, they could get much, much stronger.”

Alec nodded slowly. He had received private training since the day he became king, but he couldn’t promise that sort of private training for each Aegaeran soldiers. He looked back out the window, watching the girls giggle madly as the men started to tease them, trying to sweep them off their feet.

“They’re not taking things very seriously,” he muttered. “I won’t tolerate anyone dropping out at the last minute because they’ve suddenly discovered they’re going to be a father.”

“Alec, are you really one to talk?” Dominic asked, raising a brow. “You’re only twenty-four years old. Aegaera was in the middle of one of the biggest trade agreements in its history when Lily revealed she was pregnant with Lucian. And what did you do? You disappeared for four days, abandoned the meeting to sign the agreement, and came back smelling like the forest and repeating over and over that it was ‘fantastic news’!”

Alec turned red, then shrugged. “That was different.”

“Alright,” Dominic chuckled. “If you say so.”

Alec turned away from the window, walking down the hall. Dominic followed, and the two walked in silence as they each tried to process Aegaera’s chances of survival.

“Has Hamilton’s council arrived, yet?” Alec asked.

“They arrived this morning,” Dominic nodded. “They expected more luxurious rooms to stay in than what we gave them, but they seem content and ready to discuss strategy. The seer, Gwendolyn, arrived last night. However, no one saw her. She greeted her king for just a few seconds before disappearing into her room, muttering something about needing to speak to the spirits. No one has seen her, other than a few maids who bring her meals in her room.”

“Strange,” Alec said. “Alright, well, see to it that everyone is comfortable and has everything they need. We’ll have to be on their best side. We only have about a month left before Rufus returns.”

Dominic gave him a deep nod before turning down a different hall. Alec continued down to Mirror Room, which was a room with walls that showed intricate designs made of tiny pieces of mirror. The works was hundreds of years old, and the room was now used as a leisure area to bring guests. Being inside the room felt like being inside a sparkling diamond, especially when sunlight was reflected off the mirrors.

He found Lily and Belle in the room with Queen Gloria, quietly talking over a cup of tea. Belle looked terribly bored, but Lily was listening intently to whatever Gloria was saying. Alec was sure it was the first time he’d heard her voice. The shy woman was very quiet, especially in the presence of a council. She gently set her cup of tea down on the table, folding her hands in her lap, politely.

“Oh, yes,” she nodded, giving Lily a polite smile. “Both my sons began speaking at a very early age. I wouldn’t be too concerned about Lucian. I’ve found that shyer children normally don’t start speaking until they’re a little older. Now, don’t you go expecting small sentences from him for another year now.”

“He knows a few words,” Lily told her. “He can say ‘Mama’, and he can say ‘oh, no’. Not in front of anyone other than myself, Alec, Belle, or Tobias, of course. He’s frightfully quiet in front of others.”

“He’s a quiet boy, then,” Gloria assured her. “He may not show it, but he’s like a sponge. He’s constantly learning.”

Belle glanced up and noticed Alec in the doorway, sitting up with a relieved look on her face for the interruption. Alec imagined that all this talk about child development was driving her insane. Gloria bowed her head in respect, gesturing to an open seat. She'd gone silent again, and Alec realized that it was probably because she was in his presence. Alec wanted to tell her that he was just a little shit in a costume and that she didn't need to silence herself in front of him, but decided against it. He sat down, and Belle went to pour him a cup of tea.

“No, thank you,” Alec said. “You know I don't like tea.”

“Rich people drink tea, Alec,” Belle said, handing him the cup. “Get Royal.”

He sighed and took the cup, just holding it to warm up his hands.

“Lucian’s teeth will straighten out when the other ones start to come in and push the lopsided front ones into place,” Lily informed him.

“I told you that already,” Alec frowned. “You didn't take me seriously.”

“Yes, well you didn't raise four children,” Lily pointed out, smiling at Gloria.

Alec gave her a look, wondering when Gloria suddenly became such a mentor. She gave him a hard look back, telling him not to be rude. Belle quietly sipped her tea, keeping her eyes on the tablecloth as if the floral print was fascinating to her.

“Well, ladies, this has been lovely,” Lily said. “Though, if you’ll excuse me, I think I need to take a little walk with my husband.”

Gloria gave her a respectful bow of the head, but Belle just gave her big, sad puppy eyes, begging Lily not to make her stay with quiet Gloria. Lily gave Belle the same ‘don’t be rude’ look, linking arms with Alec and leading him out of the Mirror Room.

“Am I in trouble?” Alec asked.

“You embarrassed Gloria,” Lily told him.

“I could’ve blinked a little too quickly and it would have embarrassed Gloria,” Alec smirked, rolling his eyes.

“Stop that,” Lily said, bumping him lightly and trying not to smile.

“You know it’s true,” Alec chuckled. “Come on, no one is around.”

“She can be a little timid at times,” Lily admitted.

“If you cough, she’ll shatter like glass.”

This made Lily laugh. “I have to be nice to her. I'm trying to keep everyone as happy with Aegaera as possible. You're such a childish idiot that we have to establish that we’re mature adults.”

“Alright, I'll be an adult.”

“I'm serious.”

“Hello, Serious,” Alec said, sticking a hand out to her. “I'm Alec.”

“Ugh, you moron,” Lily said. “Leave it to you to ruin Aegaera’s peace treaty with Elbis before it's even on paper.”

“That would be tear-able.”

“Alec!”