Decode

Two

Aiden’s POV
“Hey, Aiden,” Ryan greets as Cooper and I get to our usual meeting spot. He leaned down to give me a hug. His Dom, Sebastian, greeted Cooper. “You look tired,” Ryan continues.

“I am,” I reply.

“Then why didn’t you stay home?” he questions.

“I don’t know,” I admit. I sank back into my wheelchair. I felt Cooper squeeze my shoulder.

“Do you want to eat dinner with them tonight?” Sebastian asks his fertile, kissing his temple.

“Sure,” Ryan answers.

The bell rang signaling it was time to go to class. Cooper picked up our bag while I pushed my self towards our first period classroom. I took all except one of my classes with Cooper for my protection and benefit. I had become an easy target for humans, and they wouldn’t let me forget it. It also made me feel safer to have my Dom by my side. I also got the benefit of being in his level classes, which were more on my level. I was two younger than Cooper who was 18. The one class I didn’t take was my fertile education class. There were only mated fertiles in that class, and the teacher was also a fertile. Cooper’s class met right next door. It was a torture class for Doms going into the industry. Cooper was supposed to graduate last year early because he was going to be an illustrator, but then my accident happened. Illustrators for the torture industry were rare since most Doms were not interested or good at art but Cooper was. They fast tracked him through school so that he could start sooner. My accident kept us both out of school for a semester meaning he couldn’t finish.

Our first class was English Literature. There were mainly humans in the class, but the teacher was a Dom. He would not tolerate any bullshit from the humans against fertiles, so no human messed dared mess with me while he was in the room. A gang killed his mate 50 years ago. They knew it was the fastest way to becoming a demonstration for torture class. I enjoyed the class. I wanted to be a writer eventually.

“Good morning, class,” the teacher greeted after the second bell. “Today we’re studying the Raven. Who can tell me the author?”

“Stephanie Myers,” a human answered immediately.

“No,” the teacher responds. “I can tell you now we will never be reading her works in this class.”

“Edgar Allen Poe,” the quiet Dom in the back of the room answered.

“Correct,” the teacher affirms. “He was one of the first known vampires.”

The rest of class was uneventful. We read over the material and began discussing. I didn’t really enjoy discussing verse. It relied too much on figurative language for my tastes.

Class ended and Cooper and I went over to the art room for our next class. Cooper pushed me into the classroom over to where Jared and his mate, Fredrick, were sitting. Jared was also training to be an illustrator for the torture industry. I laid my head down on the table.

“Hey, are you okay?” Fredrick asks, concerned.

I nod. Cooper runs his hand over my back. I soon fell asleep for the remainder of the class.

“Aid, honey, wake up,” Cooper gently shook me. “Do you want to go home?”

I shook my head. “I feel better after my nap,” I explain.

“Okay,” he responds, “do you want me to push you?”

“No, I’ve got it.”

We moved onto our math class, which was uneventful. I highly doubt I’ll use any thing I learn. The teacher was a human female. I didn’t mind her. She respected us. It may because she knew she wouldn’t go home at the end of the if she did, but who cares?

Lunch came after Math. Our school had a special cafeteria for vampires. No humans allowed except if they were chained up for feeding. It work out as a better deterrent than suspension. If a human did something wrong they were put in the chains in vampire cafeteria for vampires, mainly Doms, to feed on. Most fertiles fed from their Doms exclusively unless there was something medically wrong with them or they were pregnant. I drank human blood since I was on a high blood diet, but I fed from blood bags rather than live humans.

We pulled up to our clan’s tables. Vampires ate with their clans. Sebastian and Ryan were there along with Angelo and his mate Jenny and Austin. Austin was a Dom still looking for his mate.

“Do you want to feed?” Cooper asks me.

“Yes,” I reply. He pulls me onto his lap so I could get a better angle. I sunk my teeth into the side of his neck and into his vein. I felt a rush of warm, rich fluid flood my mouth. I continued to drink slowly for some time. When I was done, I licked the wound to seal it. I leaned my head against his shoulder and rested for a while.

I am an extreme introvert. I didn’t feel much like engaging in the banter of lunch. I rarely hung out with anyone except my Dom, Sebastian, or Ryan. Sometimes I would stay with Cooper’s mom. He had become like my mom since my parents left me.

Once we were done with lunch we headed on to our vampire only classes. I pushed myself to the first table next to Ryan. Cooper left me with my notebook and a kiss before heading over to his classroom.

“You’re peppy today, aren’t you?” Ryan joked causing me to roll my eyes.

“Ryan, have you ever seen me peppy?” I respond.

“Yes, I have, actually. When Cooper proposed to you,” he answers too confidently.

“That was one time,” I sigh. “I’m not a peppy person.”

“Alright, we’re going over recipes today,” the teacher announced. She was a middle-aged female fertile who was mated to the torture teacher. “You need to know these for your test and what substitutions you can use in them. I want you to look over them and discuss them with your partner before we discuss them as a class.” She passed out a packet with three recipes.

I briefly looked over them. One was for a salad, the other for a fillet with mushroom marsala, and a chocolate lava cake.

“So, I think the fillet can be replaced with chicken,” I say to Ryan.

“That sounds right,” he responds. “Do think we can substitute the lettuce with other leafy greens?”

“I don’t see why not.” Ryan was an awful cook for a fertile. He was lucky not to burn anything every time he cooked.

I needed to use the bathroom, so I raised my hand. The teacher came over. “May I go to the bathroom?” I ask.

“Sure, just hurry back,” she answers sweetly. She went over to open the door for me as I backed out.

I made my way down the hallway toward the bathrooms. A group of three humans suddenly got in my way. They shouldn’t be here. Only vampires are supposed to be in this area of the school. “Please, just let me go,” I beg.

“Aw, he’s cute when he begs,” the biggest one taunts. “See, we think you’re faking this whole needing a wheelchair. I mean vampires are supposed to be superior to us mere humans.” He brings his hand up and punch me straight in the eye.

The side of my face throbbed. “Just leave me alone,” I plead. “I promise, I won’t tell anyone.”

“Why should I trust you?” a second one speaks up. “I think we should see if he is really needs this chair as much as he says he does.”

The big one grabs my sweater and rips me upward. I managed to scream “HELP” before blacking out.