Status: On hiatus

Fact or Fiction?

Warned

Dr. Zebula and I leaned over the book nervously.

It was chilly out. She crept through the streets, a brick clutched in her hand. So she was going to threaten to fire her? Well, two could play at that game! When she got to the front of the store, she looked around carefully. No one was nearby but that didn’t surprise her; it was midnight, after all. She smirked at the Halloween graveyard display. That would go after her beloved up and coming authors display. With a deep breath, she let the brick fly and-

“Oh hell no!” I yelled and jumped up. “What time is it?”

“Uh- 11:30 and- where are you going?”

“I worked way too hard for that bookstore to let some disgruntled teenager ruin it!” I shouted and ran out of the front door.

The night really was chilly and I ran as fast as my legs could take me. My breath crystallized in front of me and I picked up my pace as I turned around the corner to Main Street. I swear if that belly button lint picking, pimply, high school kid ruins my store-

I got to the store and nearly fainted in relief that it was still intact. I rubbed my arms to warm them up. I’d wait and confront that little-

“Perhaps you should tell me why you’re wandering the streets with a brick,” a cold voice said and I stepped into the shadows.

“I don’t have to tell you nothin’,” Marcey snapped. “Now get out of my way.”

“I hope you don’t plan on using that on anyone. You could cause serious damage.”

Marcey turned around the corner, shrugging someone’s arm off of her.

“I’m doing it,” she hissed. “That bitch will-”

“Hello Marcey,” I said, stepping out of the shadows.

She squeaked in fear and jumped. The brick fell to the sidewalk with a loud clatter. I couldn’t see the other person’s face but that didn’t matter right now. I crossed my arms and popped out my hip.

“A bit passed your curfew, isn’t it?” I asked.

She gulped. “I-I was just- and then I- but he got in the way- I just wanted to-”

“Spare me,” I snapped. “You’re fired. I don’t want to see you anywhere near here again!”

She stomped her foot. “You don’t know who you’re messing with!”

I rolled my eyes. “Yes, I am so terrified of a high school student.”

She just continued to glare out me so I got my phone out.

“I’m five seconds away from calling the cops,” I said through clenched teeth. I leaned closer. “I know why you came here. Now get out of my sight!”

She took a few steps back then ran away. I watched her go, seething in anger. I had forgotten about the stranger until they cleared their throat and stepped into the light.

“Zackary?” I said, frowning. “What in the world are you doing out here this late?”

“I could ask you the same thing,” he said.

I hesitated, not wanting to tell him about the book.

“I was out here to make sure my… book shipment came in.”

“At midnight?” he asked.

“What are you doing out this late?”

He shrugged, putting his hands in his pockets.

“I have insomnia,” he said. “Taking a walk usually helps. I saw that girl walking down the street with a brick.”

I sighed heavily. “Well, thank you for trying to stop her.” I looked through the window and clenched my hands into fists. “No one is going to hurt my store.”

“You really love this place don’t you?”

I touched the outside of the window. “It’s all I have left of my parents.”

“I’m sorry about all that.”

I shrugged. “It happens. I never thought she was the violent type, though.” I yawned. “Well, I’m going back home. Thanks again.”

“No problem. See you later.”

I watched him walk away, frowning. I had a feeling he didn’t really have insomnia. Was Dr. Zebula right? Did Zackary have something to do with this book? My phone rang and I jumped.

“Hello?” I sighed, walking back.

“Congratulations,” Dr. Zebula said. “Was Zackary really there?”

I quickened my pace. “Yes he was. What else does it say?”

“That’s something you’ll want to read for yourself.”

I hung up and ran the rest of the way back again. I flew into my house and sat at the desk, panting, while Dr. Zebula got me some water.

She was lying. There was something she wasn’t telling him. Something important…. He looked over his shoulder as she talked on her phone, walking back home. Had she figured out how the book worked? He hoped not. Then he’d have to leave and-

I sat back in my chair, slamming the book shut. I rubbed my eyes.

“Wait,” I said. “So he is the one who dropped it off but why? And why would he have to leave?”

“Maybe he was the last owner of the book,” she suggested and I ran my hand through my hair.

“How do I confront him about this, though?” I asked.

She shrugged. “Again, that’s up to you. I have to go, Ophelia. I’m sorry. Let me know how this ends.”

“Right. Thank you for coming.”

We shook hands and I let her out. The book glowed again and I glared at it. Even though it prevented my store from getting demolished, I still didn’t trust it. I opened it anyway, though.

A figure waited outside of her house. They watched as the old woman walked out and got in her car. When she was gone, they cocked a gun and pointed it through the window where Ophelia was surely sitting. They pulled the trigger.

“Oh shit!” I yelled, ducking to the floor as my window exploded.

I was frozen in fear and heard someone running away. I couldn’t breathe. My cell phone was inches away and I tried to reach for it but my arms were shaking and felt like jelly. Finally, I got it and called the police.

-

“Okay, stalkers aren’t fun anymore,” I groaned, falling into my office chair.

Lucy smiled sympathetically at me and handed me a coffee. I had just finished up with the police and it was time to open. I was terrified. Whoever had shot for me wanted me dead. But why? Was it the book they were after? Should I lock it away permanently?

So far it was hidden in a strongbox in the very back of the closet. After last night, I had no desire to open it again.

“How did you find out they were there?” she asked.

“I heard them moving around,” I lied and rubbed my eyes. “Jesus that was terrifying.”

“Where’s Marcey? She should be here by now.”

I scoffed. “I fired her. Bitch tried to throw a brick through my window.”

Her jaw dropped. “What!? Why?”

“Because I threatened to fire her,” I shrugged. “Well, now she really is fired.”

I sighed and she gave me a one armed hug. The bell over the door rang and she went out to talk to the customer.

“I’m here to see Ophelia,” I heard Zackary say. “Is she in?”

“Yeah. She’s in her office.”

I rolled my eyes.

Thanks for asking for my permission.

Zackary knocked on the door and I let him in.

“I heard about what happened,” he said.

“How?”

“Lucy called me,” he answered and I glared at her as she walked by, smiling sheepishly. “I’ll take your case if you want.”

“I don’t even know where to begin,” I sighed, leaning back in my chair. “All I know is that I was almost killed.”

“Well, I have a couple ideas of how to tackle this,” he said. I bit my lip. “But that’s assuming you want my help.”

“I’d greatly appreciate it,” I said and he smiled at me. “What are your rates?”

He looked at me for a while and I waited. I debated on whether or not I should tell him about the book. If he was going to be my lawyer, I probably should. And, if my suspicions that he was the one that brought it were correct….

“How about we start at $80 an hour? Is that too much?”

I arched a brow. “That’s actually really cheap. Are those your normal rates?”

He smiled, leaning forward. “I think you know the answer to that question.” I blushed and looked away. “If it would make you feel better, you can also kiss me.”

I stared at him, trying to tell if he was joking. He was smiling but his eyes were serious. Without realizing it, I caught myself staring at his lips. What would it be like to kiss him?

“I’ll take that as a yes,” he whispered.

I froze as his lips covered mine. His hand was on the back of my neck and I closed my eyes, leaning forward and nearly falling off my chair. I had unconsciously been moving closer to him.

He pulled back and I opened my eyes, confused.

“We’ll have our first consultation on Monday,” he whispered, his face still close to mine.

I stared at him for a second and cleared my throat.

“Isn’t this unprofessional behavior?” I breathed and he smiled.

“Monday at 8. I’ll see you then.”

I just stared as he left, my jaw dropped.