Status: Active

What Did You Expect From Me?

Six.

It was finally Monday, May third. Mackenzie was up bright and early prepping for her interview with the mystery band from Hopeless Records. Mackenzie was never a morning person, but the lack of sleep she received the previous night may have helped her wake up on time. By nine, Mackenzie was dressed and ready to go. She decided to leave her hair down in loose waves and only wore mascara for makeup. Mackenzie was dressed in black leggings, a black tank top, a red blazer, and matching red pumps. Mackenzie truly hated heels, but she was always told to keep her outfits business casual for interviews. Hence why she paired her leggings with the six inch pumps. Mackenzie also learned through the years that the more professional she looked, the more she was taken seriously. And that was what she wanted most; to be taken seriously so she could move up in the industry.

Mackenzie had to drive to the Hopeless Headquarters in Van Nuys, which was a half an hour from her apartment, without traffic. So to be there by ten, Mackenzie left her house at nine fifteen. But due to the horrendous Los Angeles traffic, Mackenzie didn't arrive to Hopeless until ten after ten. She was annoyed and flustered, but she tried not to let it show when she spoke to the receptionist. But much to Mackenzie's pleasure, the band was also running late. The receptionist, whose name Mackenzie didn't catch, led her to a conference room to wait for the mystery band. Mackenzie shot the woman a thank you and sat on the side of the table with only one chair, with her back to the door. She quickly arranged her belongings on the table, and awaited the bands arrival. But by ten twenty-five, Mackenzie was growing impatient. Mackenzie took punctuality seriously, and since the band was twenty-five minutes late, she assumed that they didn't. But by ten thirty, she heard the door open behind her and an unknown amount of feet shuffling against the floor, making their way to the other side of the table. When movement finally ceased, Mackenzie looked up from her notebook and wished she hadn't.

Sitting directly across from Mackenzie was none other than Alex Gaskarth, Jack, Rian, and Zack sitting around him.

"I thought the saying was 'Ten minutes late to everything,' not a whole half an hour," Mackenzie quipped at the man, who was clearly hungover.

"Kenz! I didn't know you worked for Rolling Stone!" Jack cheered, leaving no room for Alex to respond to Mackenzie's witty comment.

"And I didn't know you guys were back on Hopeless," Mackenzie responded looking between the four boys.

"Well yea, because nobody knows yet. That's the point of this interview. To let people know. So let's get it over with," Alex interrupted.

"Okay, I'd usually start with introductions, but I can add those in later. So we'll start with this. Why the switch back to Hopeless? I thought your goal was always to be on a big label like Interscope?"

"Hopeless is home," Zack answered, probably trying to get his talking over with for the day.

"Things with Interscope weren't what we expected. They wanted to change us. So after Dirty Work was finally released, we wanted to go to a label that would understand us. When the opportunities started coming to us, Hopeless stood out. They already knew us, so it seemed like the right choice," Alex added.

"What do you mean Interscope wanted to change you? Some of the biggest artists are currently on the label. If you four stayed, don't you think All Time Low would have become a household name?"

"It isn't about becoming a household name for us. Maybe when we were seniors in high school, but now, our views have changed. We play music because it's what we love to do. And if you like our music, that's amazing. If you don't, that's cool, too. But we don't need a label turning us into something we're not," Rian answered, as the other boys nodded in agreement.

"Also, Interscope didn't take us seriously. They had a way they wanted us to sound, and we had to go along with it because of contracts and such. Just look at Dirty Work. It isn't horrible, but it isn't our best work. It doesn't scream All Time Low when you listen to it. Overall, Dirty Work was too generic for us. As a band, we make music for people to relate to. We want to make good music, and by going back to Hopeless, we can continue that dream of ours. We may not be a household name, but we are pretty damn successful. As a band, we only have Hopeless to thank for that. They've been with us since we were seniors in high school, so it feels good to be back," Alex elaborated.

Mackenzie watched as Alex emphasized his explanation. She couldn't help but smile at his passion for the band and for the music. But Mackenzie had to move on, so for the next forty-five minutes, she found herself asking business related questions that all of the boys ended up answering. As they all answered, Mackenzie wished it was a video interview, because no matter what she wrote, words could not describe the happiness that the boys got from being in All Time Low. But as the questions were rattled off and answered, Mackenzie found that she only had one question left.

"Okay guys, almost done. Can we be expecting new music from you anytime soon?"

"Well, we're releasing a new song in two weeks, but this interview won't be out until June..." Rian trailed off.

"Okay, so I'll cut this part out. Just tell me the name of it and I'll work my last question around it," Mackenzie advised.

"The Reckless and The Brave," Jack spit out.

"Okay guys, one last question and we're done. The Reckless and The Brave has recenty been released. Can you give a little insight as to what it's about?"

"Long story short, it's about not always fitting in. But at the same time, that's okay. We like who we are. We like what we're doing. We aren't apart of the greater portion of society. We're just four guys who make music. We're out here being who we are, and it's a message for our fans that it's okay not to fit in. Just keep doing what you love and that's all that matters," Alex answered.

"Alright guys. That's it. Thank you so much for letting me interview you. I'll be in touch with a final version of the article in about two weeks. See ya later," Mackenzie smiled as she grabbed her belongings and ran out the door.

She made it to the front of the building when someone finally caught up to her.

"Mack! Wait!" Rian shouted.

Mackenzie immediately slowed her pace to turn and face the drummer.

"Mackenzie, why are you running away like that?" He questioned as he caught up to her.

"Because Ri, I don't want people knowing I'm friends with you guys. If it gets out, the article can be considered biased. And I don't want that happening," Mackenzie explained.

Rian nodded, but he knew there was more than what Mackenzie was telling him, but he didn't want to pry. "Well, we're going to a diner down the block, care to join us for lunch?" He asked with his perfect smile.

"I can't Ri, I have to get back to the office. How about dinner later?" Mackenzie, too, smiled.

"Yea, that works. Just text me when you're done and we'll figure out where to go."

"Sounds good. I'll see you later," Mackenzie said as she hugged the drummer and started walking to her Jeep.

Instead of getting right in, Mackenzie went to the backseat. She quickly took off the heels that were killing her feet and switched to her worn combat boots. She then pulled off the blazer and threw it in the backseat as well, just opting to drive back in her tank top. Once situated, she shut the door and when she was about to get in the front seat, she noticed someone leaning on the front of her SUV.

"Excuse me, can I help you?" She asked warily as she slowly approached the person, but as Mackenzie rounded the front of the Jeep, she realized it was only Alex. "Alex, why are you still here?"

He finally looked up from his phone and looked at Mackenzie, annoyance written across his features.

"The guys left me here. I had to run back into Hopeless and I came out and they were gone. I called them and they told me to ask you if I could get a ride back. If not, I'll figure something out," Alex answered, anxiously rubbing the back of his neck.

Mackenzie stared wide eyed. After yesterday's events, she wasn't so sure that she wanted to spend "quality" time with Alex. But she also didn't want to leave him stranded so she agreed. As they got in the Jeep, Mackenzie realized Alex didn't know she wasn't going directly home.

"Alex, I just need to stop at my office when we get back to LA. I should only be about ten minutes, then I'll drive you home. Okay?"

Alex simply nodded, so Mackenzie went to start her Jeep and realized that her keys were in the back seat. Not giving it a second thought, she climbed over the center console to retrieve her keys, giving Alex an eyeful. He opted to keep his comments to himself since they were already treading on thin ice. Fifteen seconds later, Mackenzie resituated herself in the front seat and pulled out of the parking lot. As she drove, the journey was quiet, except for Fall Out Boy playing in the background.

"You still like them?" Alex questioned.

"Of course. Who doesn't like Fall Out Boy?" Mackenzie laughed.

"Well, if you want, I could get you an interview with Pete. Maybe even the rest of them, too, because rumor has it, they're working on new music again," Alex commented.

"Lex, if they get back together and you get me their first interview post-hiatus, I swear I will marry you on the spot!" Mackenzie cheered in excitement.

"I'll see what I can do," Alex chuckled just before another silence fell over the pair.

Alex desperately wanted to keep talking to Mackenzie. He wanted to apologize for the night before, but he didn't want it to cause another argument. He was so tired of arguing with people. So instead, Alex decided to keep quiet and just watch the scenery go by as Mackenzie drove, singing under her breath. Mackenzie was driving well over the speed limit, but she was trying to keep the tension at a minimum. She made it back to Los Angeles in twenty minutes and was at her office in another five. When parked, she quickly jumped out of the front seat and headed to the backseat. She put her blazer back on and once again switched her shoes. Once the heels were on, and her belongings in hand, Mackenzie looked up at Alex in the front seat.

"I'll be back in ten minutes, tops. Call me if there's an emergency or something. Just stay here," Mackenzie urged before slamming the door shut and running into her office building. She made it to the elevator and quickly traveled up to the sixth floor. She then ran through the maze of cubicles until she reached her office at the other end of the floor. Once in the office, she shut her door and found Lindsey on her couch.

"You're back!" The redhead cheered.

"Yea, just to drop stuff off. I'm going home," Mackenzie answered as she walked over to her desk.

She immediately sat in her cushioned chair just to relax for a second.

"But there's a meeting today," Lindsey reminded.

"I don't have to go. An email was sent out last night that whoever was out interviewing today, no matter what time, was excused from the meeting today. Instead, we'll have one next week," Mackenzie explained as she put her interview materials in her desk for tomorrow.

Before Lindsey could answer, there was a knock on the door. Mackenzie cocked her head to the side, wondering who it could be, so Lindsey took the liberty of opening the door, but she froze.

"A-Alex?" Lindsey questioned.

"Hey, Linds," Alex smiled.

"You two know each other?" Mackenzie asked, not moving from her desk.

"Yea, she dated Jack a while ago," Alex explained as he sat on the couch.

"Why are you here?" Lindsey spat.

"Oh Lindsey, don't be bitter. I didn't screw you over. Jack did. Take that up with him, not me. Besides, Mackenzie said she'd only be ten minutes, but she was taking longer and I was bored. So here I am," he explained as he looked over at Mackenzie.

"Wait, you two know each other?" Lindsey stood there, a dumbfound look across her face.

"Yep. Since high school," Mackenzie answered.

"Hm. So you know Jack, too?" Lindsey questioned.

"Of course, I know Jack. Listen, as much as I'd like to be going down memory lane, I really must be going. Plus, you have a meeting soon. I'll call you later, Linds," Mackenzie huffed as she stood from her desk and walked over to Alex. "Ready to go?"

"Yep," he stood to his feet before entwining his hand with Mackenzie's and heading out the door. Just before he was through the door way, Alex threw a wink and a smirk at Lindsey, who was left standing there, basking in her jealousy.

Once Mackenzie and Alex were in the elevator, she dropped their hands. "What was that about?" she huffed.

"Lindsey was only dating Jack to get to me. So I told him and he ended up screwing her over before she could do any damage. Hasn't like me very much since because I apparently made it up," Alex shrugged as the elevator dinged, signaling they were on the ground floor.

"I've known Lindsey for for years. When did this happen?"

"About a year after you left. Oh, and she's also not a natural red head," Alex added.

"I know. She's a natural blonde," Mackenzie replied as she walked over to her Jeep.

"Nope, dark brown, curly hair is what she was born with," Alex laughed as he beat Mackenzie to the drivers seat.

"Excuse you," she huffed.

"Just get in the passenger seat."

Mackenzie rolled her eyes, but did as she was told. As soon as her door was shut, Alex began driving. Mackenzie thought he was driving himself home but instead, he pulled up to her building.

"I thought you were going home..?" Mackenzie questioned.

"Yea, but I figured you'd want to get changed and stuff first," Alex shrugged.

"Fine, whatever."

Mackenzie jumped out of the Jeep and walked into the building. Her and Alex walked over to the elevator that takes her straight to her loft. She kicked her heels off as soon as she entered and ran up the spiral staircase. Alex followed suit and went straight for her bed as Mackenzie looked for something to wear.

"You should stay over tonight," Alex mumbled into her blankets.

"And why's that?" Mackenzie asked as she pulled her blazer off yet again. "We're just going to end up fighting or something."

"Think of it as a do over. After dinner, you can come home with me. I'll send all the guys to their own apartments and we can actually spend the night talking about the past six years. We barely know anything about each other. Why not change that?" Alex explained, still talking into the blanket.

Mackenzie stood there mulling over his idea. She thought about it as she disappeared into her closet. Five minutes she re-emerged with a duffel bag. Alex eyed her skeptically.

"I'll stay over on one condition," Mackenzie pointed a finger at him.

"What's that?"

"I'm sleeping in a guest room."

"Fine," Alex huffed, not really liking the idea, but he really wanted to get on the right track with Mackenzie again, even if it is just as friends.

After he agreed, Mackenzie finished packing her bag and the pair were on their way back to Alex's so he could get ready for dinner. As Alex drove, Mackenzie realized that this night could possibly make or break any chance they had at being friends and Mackenzie really hoped that nothing would wrong.