Status: Weekly Update

Enmeshment

Chapter I

"You, initiate! Give me a hundred, now!" Eric shouted to Jack, my fellow initiates, as Jack get down and do push-ups hundred times for the second time.

Jack was a Candor and I was from Abnegation. After day one of our new life in Dauntless, Jack and I began to get closer and closer. Since he always said something nice, smart, and sometime he puts too much sugar on it that made everything he said about me was sweet. I wouldn't believe anything he said about me before, but since he was a Candor so maybe he was being honest about it. Me as Abnegation as I used to be, been teach by our parents to reject vanity. So I never used to hear people saying flattering things to other people.

"Let me reminds you again initiates! Orders are absolute! You do what us tell you to do! No question needed!" Eric kept circling around Jack while he started to look exhausted from the pain on his biceps.

Eric crossed his arms to his chest and sometimes his upper arms looked bulkier every time he flexed it. But it wasn't just because of his appearance that made all initiates scared to be around him. All of us were intimidated by his presence. Eric always plays a tough guy around us. He valued his power and his job above everything. Even Peter, who couldn't keep his mouth shut every time he got a chance to mock someone, didn't have guts to throw any lines in front of Eric. Guess he just knows how to lick our leaders butts very well.

"Eric's mood is much worse than yesterday," Jen whispered as we prepared ourselves to train our knives throwing.

Jen is Jack identical twin sister. Until now I felt that she was a true Candor because she didn’t have any filter and said anything as loud as possible. I guess she chose Dauntless since she couldn't get separated with her twin brother, even if she didn't admit it. The twins are my closest friends here after I transferred to Dauntless. I also got close to Tris, Christina, Will and Al.

"Maybe he drinks an angry serum this morning instead of coffee," I chuckled a little bit but Jen burst into laughter and got Eric's attention.

"What's so funny, initiate!?" I could see him gave us a death stare. "You! Come here and give me fifty!" Eric pointed to Jen, and she walk towards him slowly.

"Sorry..." I whispered to her as she passed me, and Jen looked at me with smirked on her face. Carefully so Eric wouldn't see her expression.

Now both twins doing push-ups as Eric circled them one last time before he stop and stood right in front of Jack's face. So close, that Jack’s face could touch the end of his boots with his forehead. I didn't realize that I was staring at Eric until his grey eyes caught my eyes. I immediately throw my head away, grabbed my knives and walk to the large target at the end of the room.

"Hey stiff!" He shouted. I stunned as I thought to myself that wouldn’t be good. "Stop!" He started to walk towards me but I kept going forward to my station. "Are you deaf or what? I said stop!" Tone on his voice was getting higher.

I stop as I reached my spot right beside Tris and turned back to face him. "I'm sorry sir, I just want to start practicing," I said and we were staring at each other for a few seconds until I blinked and head my face down.

"If I said stop, you stop! Don't let me repeat it again, stiff!" He moved one step closer and I felt my heart pumping and tried to run away from inside my chest. Tris and Christina glanced at me but continue back to their business after Eric glared at them. "Yes sir..." I replied and tried my best to show no fear when I talk.

He still didn't move away from me. "Is there anything else sir?" I asked. He didn't say a word and still didn't move. "Sir?" I asked him again and looked up to see him. He shrugged and walked away.

I released a relieve breath. "What's wrong with Abnegation and death wish?" Christina chuckled as she pointed at Tris and I.

I wasn’t really good at knife throwing. My aim didn't off that much; at least I still hit the target even it wasn't at the crucial part. Tris in the other hand was really good at this. She kept hitting the same face spot a couple of times and it wow Christina. I finally can hit the upper body's target when I felt the tension feeling standing behind my back. I look back and I saw Eric stood a couple of feet while he frown and evaluate my skill. I throw my knife again and it landed outside of the target. I sighed; not liking the feeling that Eric intimidation aura started to gets me again.

"Hit the head, initiate!" He growl to me as he took one step closer.

I threw another one and it almost hit the side of the target's head. "Closer!!" He shouted right behind me. I threw another one and another one but I kept missed it. It always hit near the ear or the top of the head. Looks like Eric started to lose his patience because of this, "I said closer, stiff!!!"

I flinched and throw another one immediately and the knife perfectly landed in the head. Followed by another two knives and it hit the same spot just an inch different each. I looked back to Eric, unaware that I smirked to him for my little accomplishment.

"What!? So you think you're good now stiff?" My smirk gone right away, when Eric talk. "No sir. Not at all." He leaned forward and his face was now just a few inches with my face and I didn't dare to see him. "Good," he whispered and walked away.

I continued practicing while Eric back checking on other initiates when suddenly Al caught his attention with his knife throwing ability. Al threw his knife a bit weak, and it didn't hit the object nor even hit the plank.

"Well that's pathetic!" And Al turned back nervously when he knew Eric talked to him.

"I slipped." Excused Al.

"Well, go get it!" Eric commanded him.

Al looked hesitant. “What? While they’re throwing?

"Are you afraid!?" It much more likes a statement rather than a concern.

"Of getting stabbed by an airborne knife, yeah…" he stuttered.

Image
"Everybody stop!!!" Frustration came from Eric's voice. "Stand in front of the target!" Al's eyes widened when he heard what Eric said, but he walked slowly to the target. “Four, gimme a hand here!” Eric called Four and asked him to throw knives anywhere near Al. “You’re gonna stand there while he throws those knives. And if I see you flinch, you’re out! One thing you will learn here is that orders are not optional!”

Four then prepared his knives and was about to start when Tris broke the silence. "Stop! Everyone can stand in front of a target. It doesn't prove anything."

"Then, it'll be easy for you to take his place." Mocked Eric. “Same rules apply.”

Tris step up and switched to Al position. Four started to threw his knife and it landed near Tris's right foot. “Oh, come on, Four!” Eric scoffed. Four threw another one landed a foot away from Tris’s face. "You can do closer than that."

“You want me to give her a little trim?”

Image
“Yeah, maybe just a little off the top.” Four then threw another one and it landed at the top of Tris’s head. One more knife left and hit the target right at Tris's ear.
Image

"Points for bravery, stiff! Not as many as you lost for opening your mouth! Now watch yourself! Remember we train soldiers, not rebels!" He stated, followed by a nod from shaky Tris. "But we’re done for today. Get out!!" He continued.

Jack and Jen then joined me and the group after Eric dismissed us. Jack face was so red and Jen still trying to catch more air into her lungs. "You guys ok?" I asked concern about them.

"I can't feel my arm," Jen kept rubbing her upper arm.

"I'm thirty push-up away. Thanks to Al for making Eric pissed off so we're done," said Jack as he embraced me.

We were the last one at the gym and when we were about to walk out I heard Eric shouted again for the million times. "You! Who said I'm done with you!" Three of us stop and turned around. Eric walked toward Jack and he looked more pissed than before.

"You said we are done training for today," Jack said make his point.

"For the rest of them, yes! Not you! You give me more fifty or you're out!"

Jack was about to confront him but I held his arm back, gesturing that he shouldn't pissed Eric more than this. Jack scoffed and then jumped right in doing what he ordered him to do.

"And what are you still doing here, stiff! Dismiss!"

"I-I'm going to wait for him, sir" I replied.

"What, you care to join him too?" I was about to reply him again when Jen grabbed my hand. "No sir. Thanks for today," and she dragged me out of the gym.

"You stop okay!" She let my hand go after we were outside. "You're going to get my brother in more trouble!"

"What do you mean? I'm just trying to support Jack."

"You're not helping, really! Oh come on, we better get some food. I'm starving!" Jen walked away while I was stood still. "You're not coming?"

"I'm going to wait for Jack. I'll catch up after he finished.

"Whatever," She shrugged and turn left walking downstairs that leads to the dining hall.

Five minutes later, Jack walked out with his right hand holding his upper left arm. "Man, that guy is brutal! I think I'll lost my arms anytime soon."

"Come on. We should go to the dining hall. I'll find you some ice patch"

Right when we started to walk, Eric gets out from the gym. He looked annoyed when he saw me still in there waiting for Jack. He flouted at Jack and walks the opposite direction.

We went to the Pit and head our way to through a gaping hole through the wall. The dining hall was well lit and lined with tables. We picked empty bench.

"I swear I'm going to be a leader and kick the fuck out of his brain!" Jack cursed as I gave him an ice patch that I got from the nice yet have a menacing-look lady in the kitchen.

"Maybe he just gave you a tough love. Helping you out to be on top of the scoreboard," I said as I grabbed the ice pack from him and holding it on for him.

"He didn't picked on me like this before. It's getting worse. Shit I hate that guy!" Jack pounded the table and it made another Dauntless member who sat across us glared at him when his drink splattered.

"Yeah the last thing I want right now is dealing with another douche," and I pressed the ice pack hard onto his arm.

"Geez. Okay I'm sorry. I'm just so pissed-off right now."

I chuckled and hand him the ice pack back, "hold this. I'm going to get some chocolate cake. You need some serotonin for your brain." I punched him a little before I go to the counter to get a cake for Jack.

It's when I realized Eric is also in the line grabbing some food. I slowly walk away from his eyesight and planned to go back after he left. "Stiff!" But it's too late.

"Sir," I greeted him politely when I stand in line beside him.

"What, you're up for round two? You eat a lot for a stiff like you."

I didn't reply and I guess it annoyed him a little when someone didn't respond to whatever he says. We moved little by little until I reach the dessert section and I saw there is only one chocolate cake left. I was about to lean my hand forward when Eric takes the plate. We teach the end of the counter with me empty handed.

"You changed your mind?" He teased me.

"I just wanted to get a cake. But you already take the last one. So I'm good with it. If you may, I should go back to my bench."

When I turned around, he grabbed my right shoulder and handed me the cake, "take it!"

"No, it's okay sir. I-I'm..."

"Take it I said!" He pushed the plate to my chest.

"O-okay... Thank you."

I walked back to my bench and realized Eric walk right beside me but acting like he acknowledge my presence. "Thanks for giving your cake. Jack must be glad." I encourage myself to talk to Eric, to break the silence.

"That cake for him?"

"Y-yes..."

He snorted and takes the plate out from my hand before he walked away and sits in the bench on the other side. I sit back with confusion all over myself.

"Was that Eric?" Asked Jack.

I nodded, "yeah, he insisted I take his cake when there was only one left, but he took it back when I said it was for you."

"Huh what a dick! Well I'm done here. Should we found Jen?"

"Yeah sure…"
♠ ♠ ♠
New fanfic after hiatus for more than 2 years. I'm in love with Jai Courtney and story about Eric is flowing in my mind lately. Subs and comment? Thank you very much.

Theme song: Prepared To Be Noticed by State Champs