Daylight

The Man

Beep Beeeep Beep Beep Beep

“ngh”

A sleepy hand reached out towards the wooden nightstand slapping around in vain for the button of the alarm clock. Fingers missing their mark several times until they finally hit the button and silenced it.

With a tired sigh, Ellie sat up in her bed, rubbing the sleep from her eyes before she stretched her arms high into the air. The book that had rested on her chest falling into her lap. She looked down smiling at the book running her hands over its cover gently. “I finally finish you” she said wiping away a stray tear from her eyes. It was the final book in a very long series, one of emotional tidal waves, highs, and lows, laughs, and pain. She was sad because it was over, and that it ended so sadly but she was also happy that it ever was. Ellie trailed her fingers gingerly across the cover as she smiled sadly. With another sigh, she rested the book on her nightstand and slid her legs off of the bed.

Slipping on her fuzzy blue slippers she walked to the window and opened the blinds. White gold rays of light poured in, dust floating like sun dust in the air around her. Ellie looked out over her view of the city from her small room. She gazed down at it, all it’s busy people. Traffic and packed streets below from her high-rise apartment. Her eyes then trailed up to the newly risen sun how it was turning the sky a soft silvery blue with oranges as it rose higher into the sky putting to rest the night and the stars. Turning on her heel she went to her bathroom to prepare for her day.

It was the same old routine, nothing new ever happened to her. Every morning she got dressed, had her morning coffee, ate her toast and bowl of fruit, read her book or the paper if she was done with her book. From there she would take the train to her job, sit down at her small desk outside her bosses office, only to be sent out to run errands for her around town for the rest of the day while taking calls through her Bluetooth.

As Ellie splashed the soap off of her face she looked at her reflection in the mirror and frowned. She was getting older and her life was washing away from her, and though nearly 28 years old now she hadn’t any real memories that made her smile, none that popped out as unforgettable. Just monotonousness days.

Drying off her face Ellie tossed it to the hamper and got dressed quickly in her dress suit attire. Grabbing her book her followed her morning routine, cleaned up the apartment and headed to work.
“Elsie! I need you to run down to Les Banquet and pick up my order for my colleagues and I” Mrs.Monroe Ellie’s boss yelled out popping her head out of her office. Ellie grabbed her purse and her Bluetooth “yes, of course, right away” Ellie said walking speedily out to the elevator as she watched the door close she grimaced “it’s Ellie...” she muttered with a heavy sigh she ran her hand through her hair and ruffled it “it’s been 3 years, you’d think my name would be easy enough to remember by now at least” she thought.

Heels hitting the pavement Ellie rushed to Les Banquet, she had memorized this order by now. Monroe always ordered the same thing while trying to impress her colleagues. Duck finger sandwiches, fruit salads, dippable sweet potato fires, their brand of house wine and a melting chocolate cake, and Coffee’s just in case. Was it a lot for Ellie to carry? Of course, it was, but Monroe never cared, and Ellie would like to think she made a good pack mule by now.

Entering the Cafe Ellie rushed to the counter “hello Laura it’s me again the usual of course” Ellie said digging in her bag. When she did not get an answer she looked up “Laur- oh!” Ellie gasped looking into shining blue eyes. “I-I’m sorry I thought-” Ellie cleared her throat as The Man gazed at her with a smile, his eyes crinkling softly with it. He seemed to be highly amused. “It’s quite alright, Laura is out sick I am afraid.” He said his voice was so deep and that accent, it was unexpected and Ellie floundered a bit before finding her voice again. Or maybe it was just his eyes.

“oh, that's a shame, I wish her the best, well ah then I’d like about 7 of the Duck sandwich bites, 4 of the sweet fries boxes, 1 large Choco heart cake, your house wine and 5 coffee’s please” Ellie said unable to peel her eyes away from his. He nodded and them raised a brow “will that be all?” he asked. Ellie looked up at the menus and scanned them “ahhhh” she breathed feeling as though she was forgetting something. “no I think that is it” Ellie said. The man nodded and went to take the order to the back. Ellie watched him go and blew out a puff of air nervously “ I love ya Laura but if he takes your place...bye!” she thought to herself smiling just a bit. It wasn’t long before he returned with her order carefully wrapped up in a purple gift basket. “Here you are” he said, Ellie nearly shivered at his deep rolling voice. Reaching out to take the basket their fingers brushed. Ellie sucked in her lips to hold in a squeal and he looked down at her with almost self-assured look as if he could see her having a tizzy inside. “thank you” she managed calmly “Have a nice day!” she called before dashing quickly to the door. The Man gave her a small bright smile and bowed his head to her in an almost regal movement.

Ellie stopped in her tracks as she went to open the door, she found herself gazing at him, stupefied as he then turned his back and headed back into the kitchens. Something about him was almost unearthly, taking once more glance back, Ellie pushed open the door and headed back to work.

“GET OUT AND GET MY SALADS Efilli!” Monroe shouted as Ellie scrambled out of her office “right away!” Ellie called running stopping at the Elevator she could see it was 5 floors above her “no time” she thought running towards the stairwell “you idiot Ellie, how could you forget the salads, they’re her favorite Item after all!” Ellie shouted at herself, it echoed off the walls as she climbed down the emergency stairs.

Her feet pounding the pavement so hard she feared her heel would pop off her shoe. Stopping before the doors of Les Banquet Ellie checked her wallet, “of course” she muttered, all out of cash, only cards. This would not have been a problem for almost anywhere else in the city. however, Les Banquets was one of the few remaining places that took Cash and Cash only. Ellie looked up turning her head left and right frantically then she spotted it. A Bank. “yes!” she cheered running through and across the stand still traffic of the street. A few taxi cabs honking at her as she did so.

From inside Les Banquet, The Man watched as Ellie darted across the street, exhaling as she made it across without being hit. His eyes then wandered to four unsavory characters lurking near the Bank. They wore scary monstrous Halloween masks, the masks looking like something out of a fantasy book. Goblins or troll like masks. He’s eyes went back to the Bank entrance and he quickly untied his deep blue apron and hung it up. “were are you going?” His CO-worker asked “on brake” The Man said, not asking for permission as he left out of the front door.

Ellie slid her card into the ATM machine and waited for it to process. The screen froze, “come on you stupid thing!” Ellie said beating lightly on the side of it “I do not have time for this!” she called. “Hey! Everyone to the floor!” A rough voice called out. Ellie turned around sharply to see Four robbers In the bank. “please sir, My back won’t let me” an Old man said trembling as his wife got to the ground. “yeah right, old man, tell someone who cares!” One of the robbers barked. “get him down!” called another. The previous robber nodded and tried pushing the old man to the ground. “Hey!” Ellie called rushing over she slapped the robbers hand off of the elderly man and stood before him. “don’t your ears work! He’s gotta bad back!” She shouted. “bitch!” The robber called raising his hand ready to strike her. “here!” Ellie said handing out her Credit card. “take it, you want money, right? Take it and leave these old people alone! Mu number is ##############, use it all you want” She said and while she was putting on a brave face, her hand trembled. The robber laughed at her and swatted her hand, sending her card flying to the ground. “we don’t want just your money” he said laughing as his friends went to the front desks guns to the heads of the bank workers, “take us to the safe!” one called.

A red light danced inside the bank and an alarm sounded. “Who it the alarm!” a robber barked. Pointing his gun around to all the workers. “Leave them alone!” Ellie called out “You!” a robber shouted striding over to her quickly he pointing the gun to her head “shut up! Stop trying to be a fucking hero! Or I swear I’ll blow your brains out just for the fucking hell of it!” he cursed. Ellie trembled and gulped. Shutting her eyes tightly.

“Aaaah!”

Ellie opened her eyes in shock as she heard the robber fall to the ground. Holding his head and rolling about “damn it! He hit me man!” he said. Ellie looked up to meet brilliant eyes. They did not look so kind as they had back at Les Banquet, but fierce and commanding. “get them together!” The Man ordered. Ellie nodded in a slightly delayed reaction as she watched The Man help the elderly woman of the floor, Ellie fanned her hands lightly pushing the elderly couple off to the wall watching as The Man turned his sights to the other robbers. “Damn it! Jesse go help him out!” A robber who seemed to be in charge called. The Man swung his Bat around in his hand and held it out. As the robber ‘Jesse’ ran towards him. The Man swung, knocking him out. “Leave” He called to the other two standing robbers. Their leader Pointed his gun away from the Bank workers head and square at The Man’s chest.

Ellie froze while helping other people in the bank get to the wall. “Hey!” A man called standing up from behind the tellers desk he jumped the robber from behind his back. “Get them!” another man called. And one by one men in the bank rallied against the robbers. If was as if The Man had stirred something in them. “come on” The Man called reaching for Ellie, “women, children and elderly out first!” He called “look out!” a woman called out “he’s got a gun!” called another. Ellie turned to see the Robber who had been hit first laying on the ground his gun pointed. “Move!” Ellie called throwing her arms around The Man’s neck she used her body weight to pull him down to the ground with her as she hit the deck. The Bullet whizzed over their heads with a loud hiss.

Ellie and The Man looked up to the Robber, who’s head burst as a Bullet hit him square between the eyes. “Get one the ground!” A Policeman called over a megaphone.

Ellie puffed out a long breath of hair as she looked up at The Man who was propped above her, arms at her sides holding his body up. But they were still so very close, Ellie opened her mouth to speak as she Police rushed in. One helped pull The Man to his feet.

Ellie talked with a Policewoman giving her account of what happened. Glancing to the side she spotted The Man quietly sliding away. “wait!” she thought wanting to go after him. But she looked back to the Policewoman who was still asking her questions and sighed. “I can go see him tomorrow at Les Banquet” She told herself. “oh no!” Ellie shouted making the Policewoman jump. Ellie took off running “I am so sorry! But I need to get back to work!” she called back to her, darting across and up the street.
“fired?” Ellie sighed as she sat numbly in the subway station waiting on her train. She looked down at her hands. She wasn’t so surprised she had sensed it coming for over a year now. Her co-workers would whisper and Monroe never remember her name or took interest in her at all. “maybe it’s for the best. I was moving into Dads Library loft anyway, might as well work there as he has wanted for years” she thought. Casting her eyes up as the train made a slow stop before her. Gathering her purse she stood and boarded.

Ellie packed up her things from her apartment into boxes, she had been working on packing for weeks now. But between work and the university she simply had no time to do so speedily. Packing nightly essentials Ellie left out of her front door and headed up the block to her father's library. “Ellen!” He greeted her as she walked inside. It was a rather large place, holding well over a billion books, and that was only the first floor of the three-story building. “Hello Papa” Ellie said giving her father a hug. “You move in tonight then?” He asked eyes dancing happily. Ever since her mother passed He had been running the Library alone, and it seemed to only make him sadder. She liked how just visiting him could make him smile again. “yes Papa, is there anything you need me to help you with now?” she asked. “I’ve got all day”

At her words her father frowned “that god awful woman at your job, did she?” Ellie raised her hand and smiled weakly cutting him off “yes Papa, she fired me.” Ellie sighed. “what for? you have always been that devil woman's hardest worker!” he shouted. Ellie side glanced, she didn’t want to have to tell her father she had been caught in a bank robbery today. “oh just running late with her order after having forgotten a bit of it” she said. Her father swatted his hand in the air and made a disgusted face. “bah! She’s a terrible woman, terrible, it is for the best, you belong here anyway” He said. Ellie smiled softly and looked up at the endless rows of books. “you may be right, it’s the only place that ever felt like home” she said.

After helping her father put all of the returned books back in their proper shelves she went up to the second level in the fantasy section to return her book. As she went to slide it back in its space she found her fingers did not want to let go. “that's when you know it’s a good one” her father said. Ellie looked over to him “the stories that grab you and won’t let you go, the ones you feel” he said with a gentle smile “those are the best ones of all” He said. Ellie nodded and went to reach for a book she had never noticed before. It was really large, with leather binding and looked very old. “ Papa? What book is this?” she asked as she pulled it free from the shelf. It had no title on the front. Her father adjusted his glasses and looked it over “must be new, it doesn’t look new but I have never seen it up here before” he said walking off.

“huh” Ellie sighed opening the book to the first page and Authors note. “There and Back Again” she read out loud. The font, it almost looked hand printed. “well hello there, There and Back Again” Ellie said with a large smile “may I read you?” she asked it in a soft playful whisper as her eyes sparkled. Something about this book felt promising, and now more than ever, she needed a get away from the world surrounding her. “holy shit!” she heard her dad cry out. Ellie covered her mouth and ran down the steps to the main level. If her father shouted in the library let alone cursed at all being the quiet man that he was, something must have happened. “ Papa! Papa! What's wrong!” she shouted running to the checkout desk. Her father stood with his back to her while watching a mini TV. He pointed at it “you are on the news!” He called out with wide eyes. He turned to her with worry in his eyes “why did you not tell me you were caught in a robbery today?” he asked “I would not have put you to work! You must be very exhausted” He said almost sadly. Ellie smiled at her father “I did not want you to worry, besides the work helps me with everything staying busy helps” she said. “I’m just like you after all” she added. To this, He smiled at her and nodded. “I will be closing up soon, please take your book and get settled in the loft, I can carry things from here, rest” He said. Ellie nodded and gave her father a kiss on the cheek before leaving.

Ellie sat down on the small twin bed in the loft and laying on her side, opened the large old book. She turned to the first page to see a drawing of a very sincere looking man, he had deep eyes and a curly mop of hair. Ellie smiled. Something about him, he was adorable like a child but had a wise-ness to him like an old man. As she went to read the words below the picture she gave a wide large yawn. “maybe later for now, a nap is probably best” she thought. Setting the book on a table near the bed she cuddled under the blankets and closed her eyes. The Man from Les Banquet’s image lingering in her last minute thoughts as sleep quickly took her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have no business writing a new fanfiction let alone another Tolkien one but the thought came to me and I needed to do it before I forgot it. Besides, Thorin is before all else and I had to write him his own fanfiction seeing as the last one went to Kili, in the end. haha.